close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Love my LoadMaster

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by coachg, Jan 25, 2010.

1. coachg

coachg

I had a great weekend at the reloading bench. I set up my Lee Loadmaster for 357 Magnum and Loaded around 400 full power loads and around 200 light target loads.

I had a Lee Turret and the Pro 1000 prior to getting the Loadmaster. The Turret was great, but the Pro 1000 gave me a lot of trouble. I got a great deal on a used LoadMaster and now feel like I'm going to settle in a keep it for a long time. I've got dies, turrets, and shell plates for 40, 357 Sig, 9mm, 45 ACP, 38/357, and 223.

I can't agrue with the quality of the other Red and Blue presses, but I think Lee gives you some nice features at a bargain. The shell collator and case feeder work great even for the long 357 Mag cases and it only costs $30 for both. It's nice to not have to worry about anything but placing the bullet. That makes it easier to make sure everything else is working ok and it's alot more enjoyable. The indexing rod which slides down the frame of the press is a wierd design, but it does work really well and is very accurate. The shell retention system is also really nice allowing you to either pull cases out to check, or in the case of preprimed cases, inserting them directly into the powder drop station.

Caliber changes are really simple if you buy the extra turrets for around $8 each. Definately worth it. 5 minutes for a new caliber max with no tools needed.

But the best improvement of the LoadMaster over the Pro 1000 and even the other presses is the priming system. I have found it to be about 99% effective and it's very easy to reload. It seems like in the amount of time it takes to get primers in a flip tray ready for pickup, the Lee is done. There also doesn't seem to be as much of a need to keep the chute immaculately clean like you do with the 1000. Since the priming station is not directly below the powder drop, you don't get any flakes in the works which is what happens with the Pro.

I know people are loyal to their brands, but from someone who is pretty new to reloading, I would say that the LoadMaster is something to consider, not just because of the price, but because of the features.

Happy Reloading.

CG

2. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Bless you coachg, you've prevailed where the hamhanded fear to tread. Somewhere, Uncle Don smiles as he fondles his toilet chain. :beer:

[​IMG]

3. coachg

coachg

4. kcbrown

kcbrown

Coachg: how's the force on the handle compared with the Pro 1000 when doing the same caliber?

I noticed the force required to pull the handle on my Pro 1000 is noticeably higher than it is on my Dillon 650. It's not a showstopper by any means, but it's an annoyance.

5. coachg

coachg

I think it requires a little more force because of the extra die. From what most people say, a good, firm bench is essential for both presses to work properly. The LM is much heavier that than Pro1000.

I also forgot to mention that the spent primer disposal is much nicer on the LM.

6. kcbrown

kcbrown

The LM requires more force than the Pro 1000? Interesting. Good to know.

I thought that the leverage might be better on the LM than on the Pro 1000. Apparently it isn't...

I have a relatively heavy and very firm bench, secured to the back wall, so it basically doesn't move at all.

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

So he has taken 1 step and thats a success. Only if the journey is one step long.

8. JerryO

JerryO

How did you check the powder level in the cases before placeing the bullets?

I can see the powder level with 9mm and .45acp.

But I can't see the powder with a target load in .357.

I asked because my first box of .38 spec loads in my pro1000 with 2.7gr of bullseye gave me 5 rounds without powder.

I have never had a dillon 550 owner answer this either.

JerryO

PS. with the bullet seating & crimping die moved to station 5 of the loadmaster, I can put a powder check die in station 4. I then run the handle with my left hand and seat bullets and drop cases with my right hand. No case feeder needed!

9. cgk60

cgk60

I have a lee turret and like it, but the plastic piece that the indexing rod fits into broke. I ordered another one. been thinking of getting a 1000 but after reading your post i think i'll get a loadmaster.

10. bush pilot

bush pilot

When I saw the title I thought it was April 1st or a gag post. Hey Mullah, what have you been doing?

11. coachg

coachg

You really can't see the powder for those loads. If you are using the chain on the Pro 1000, you have to make sure the tension is tight enough to pull the powder disk all the way back. If it gets hung up, you won't get any powder. I solved that by going back to the spring activated method and haven't had a problem since. I did have problems with charges not dropping with the chain.

When I load the light rounds I make sure the hopper is full and I also slow down and make sure the powder measure cycles properly each time.

12. coachg

coachg

This was just the first time I loaded the 357 Mag rounds with the case feeder. I have loaded at least 1K of 9, 357 Sig, 40 and 45 without any problems. I'm not up to the round count of some of you guys, but I have found the LM to work very well.

I stocked up on some of the parts that I hear may break like the primer slider so if it does, it's no big deal.

Used, I paid $150 for the press with an extra shell plate so I think I made out great.

13. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Yep, I loved my at the start as well. Just promise to report back in a year or two.

14. coachg

coachg

I'll keep you posted. I don't have that much invested so if i get a couple of years out of it I'l be ok. If this one doesn't work, I'm going with the other Red press. I was close to trying that with the free bullet offer.

15. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Does that count for me? - I'm at several years and it still works fine.

16. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Of course. I think your a little past "several" aren't you?

17. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Hey bp. :cool:

Hey UD!

What's a decade or 2 among friends?

18. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

The blue and green guys get really jealous to hear that someone is reloading as good and as fast them at a fraction of the cost.:rofl::rofl:

19. bush pilot

bush pilot

Hey UD, it's good to see you around here. No, you don't count, you're a wizard when it comes to the LM.

BP

20. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

LOL. Freud would have a lot of fun with that statement.