Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the past few months, I have acquired a 44 Magnum and a 454 Casull. I was chatting with my friend who has a Smith 500 that he'd like to sell. It will have dies, the gun and some reloading supplies.

I obviously plan to shoot reloads. I'd like to be able to hunt with my 44 and 454. But the 500 has my curiosity.

Any pitfalls from shooting it? Aside from cost...

The one I'm looking at will be a Smith and Wesson 500 6.5" with a ported barrel.

Any love for this one?

·
Registered
33,122 Posts
You should go for it!

I don't have one, but have a .44mag. Shot a .500 at a factory demo day. Seemed pretty easy to shoot, and less recoil than the 629 I tried. Probably had powder puff ammo, but still I hit what I was aiming for at distance. And that seemed to impress the factory rep, but maybe he was just trying to sell me one :)

If you've got interest, do it!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had a couple 500's over the years. They are a blast to shoot. :supergrin:
Which was your favorite to shoot? Did barrel length have a lot to do with control?

I'm 98% in on this caliber, I believe. With reloads, I can go as heavy or or light as I wish. I'll have to chronograph which load works best for this particular revolver.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Own a 500 ES. It's no fun to shoot. The longer barreled and ported 500s are easier on the wrist but at the end of the day they are all more on the gadget side of things.

I cannot imagine shooting this caliber with such a short barrel. I can understand the pain a shooter can feel with that setup.

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
I cannot imagine shooting this caliber with such a short barrel. I can understand the pain a shooter can feel with that setup.

I tried full power 700gr hardcast ONCE. Never again. The 350gr low recoil ammo from Winchester is ok, you can shoot 10 or so, but that gets also on your nerves quickly, literally.

I have 100 Starline cases and 3 or 4 different 500 bullet variants sitting in my stash but never got around loading something up. Very low on my list. That would be different if I had a 8" version.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
When I was in Missouri the Missouricarry folks would get together once a year or so. John Ross (Unintended Consequences) was a member, he was also a class III dealer. He would bring a bunch of his samples and let everyone play with them for the cost of ammo. Got a picture of the wife shooting a Thompson on full auto with 5 pieces of brass in the air. She was dean of the library at a university, she wouldn't let me make a Do Not Disturb sign for her office door with that picture.

He had a batch of .500s with 4' barrels made that he was selling. I shot the 4" and 8" ported, and I really liked the 8"; it is on the "list".

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have both a 500 [email protected] and 44 mag. in Super Blackhawk
If I were to get rid of one, it would be the 500. The 44 will kill deer as dead as I need them. I have shot deer with the 500 and it hits like the hammer of Thor, but I'm not convinced I need that.
Now in bear country that may be different

·
Registered
200 Posts
I own a S&W 500 4"... fun to shoot... but not fun to shoot. My family does a lot of camping in bear country, figured that was the gun to kill a bear that was about to eat me. Not a gun that I would want to shoot all day long (I can just barely control the recoil) but still fun to shoot, almost comical in fire power. We have all seen youtube videos of people shooting Desert Eagles and hitting themselves in the face... S&W 500 is along the same lines.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
You got the best looking Smith, in my opinion....no ugly comp hanging off the muzzle. I've got the same gun, and a 4" Taurus 500. Recoil is obviously stout, but not as bad as it's being made out to be here. I've shot both of mine one-handed, with no troubles. You'd have to be limp arming the thing to smack yourself in the face.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
More power, to those that dabble with that beast. Would be one hell of a round in
a 16'' lever action carbine I'd think. Hornady sells a factory, 500gr XTP flat point.
Rated 1164fps @ 100yds. No idea what the test bbl length was, but that's very
impressive! :notworthy:

·
Registered
8,048 Posts
View attachment 318399 I'll pick it up tomorrow.
Cool. I'll look forward to your range report. The 6.5" is the one I have been contemplating.

My problem is, I really don't have a "use" for a 500. It would be a "range gun."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Reactions: CDR_Glock

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Air gun
Cool. I'll look forward to your range report. The 6.5" is the one I have been contemplating.

My problem is, I really don't have a "use" for a 500. It would be a "range gun."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I have a 44 Magnum 629 PC 7.5" Hunter and a 7.5" Super Redhawk for hunting. I reload 44 Mag now, and I just got my dies, bullets, and primers for 454 Casull.

I plan to get a Weigand rail and use a Red Dot on it (Maybe an Ultradot Match Dot). From the loading data, I can go as heavy as 700 grain down to as little as 275 grains. I'll test out whatever factory ammo I can find and load what makes it shoot most accurately for me.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts