Lousy Taurus Service Rant - Continued

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Church Key, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

My only Taurus first hand was with a snub nose 38, never had any issues.

I’m guessing their revolvers are a safer bet than their autos. Honestly I was eyeing one of their four inch seven shot 357’s recently, 400 bucks. That’s kinda steep for one of their products though imo considering the track record.

2. Current Resident

Current Resident

I agree with above, call them back and raise holy hell

3. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

This thread just reminded me to clean my G2C. I have over 2K rounds through it now and still trouble free.

kody1234 and Gray_Rider like this.
  4. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

Longbow,

What brand of ammo do you usually carry/practice with? I have about 350 various makes of rounds through mine. Steel case chokes mine on occasion, and Winchester USA Forged doesn't load in my magazines at all well. About seven to eight rounds and no more in a twelve round magazine. Never shot any of it however.

A variety of premiim HP self defence rounds and name brand brass works flawlessly. Remington "white box" occasionally does not go into battery, so no more "bargain brass", period.

Going to try some SB and Fiocchi ball for rangework, and carry premium HP for "serious" work. No problems at all with "old school" Starfire, Russian steel case, Hurtenburger (truncated lead soft nose) or premium HP.

Thanks for your input.

Gray

Sad to see more Taurus repair time problems reported. It seems from online reports QC and turnaround is fair to good.

My G2C carries like it is on someone else's belt! Love mine so far.

Gray_Rider
    Old Secessh

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    kody1234 likes this.
  5. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

I carry it with 124 gr HST's. I have tried Golden Sabers, Corbon's and Liberty Defense on it. The G2C ate them all with no issues.
    My practice ammo is usually my reloads or any of those cheap steel case ammo, except USA Forged brand. It does not like the USA Forged brand as well. That is the only ammo that induced a jam. To be fair my custom 1911, Keltec SUB2K and BHP clones had experienced a jam on that ammo also.

This cheap-o gun really impressed me, so I bought another one. Both guns are very reliable.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Gray_Rider likes this.
  6. Church Key

Church Key

7. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

I'm in a similar situation, but at least your gun is only on it's first trip in. I'm up to two for the same issue. If you rely on this gun, don't.

8. SixGlocks

SixGlocks ... make that 7

"Taurus' CS and QC have always been terrible, yet people continue to buy their products."

I agree. They have had CS and QC problems since day one.

9. glide

glide Just sayin'

Had a Taurus PT92 back in the early 1990s. Shot well and fairly accurate and I owned it for 25 years. Had to send it in for warranty work (lifetime warranty). This is after I had a million and one rounds through the gun. Just joking.

But seriously, Taurus was great all through the warrenty process. If I remember correctly it took less than two weeks to get it back. Just calling it out as I see them. Enjoy and be safe.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Gray_Rider likes this.
  10. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

Mine ate the 124 HST too, and that is my carry round.

It does NOT like el cheap_o steel cased ammo, so am going to try SB, or Fiocchi ammo for practice. If that feeds as well as the other like HST and StarFire did, i will consider it good to go.

Thanks for the info. Always good to ask another owner/user about functioning issues and ammo choices.

In you debt,

Gray_Rider
    Old Secessh

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  11. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

Sorry about the hassles OP. I heard the Spectrum often had teething problems and was something of a pain to field strip.

Yours still should have been functional out of the box. Hopefully Taurus will make it good and quickly.

Gray

12. MD357

MD357

If you do a search on YouTube and the taurus forum you'll see it's had widespread issues. Of course you'll also see horror stories of their CS.

bac1023 likes this.
  13. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

In the midst of all this economic upheaval...the sgl most secure job in the US...Warranty Service Tech @ Taurus...!

papershoot likes this.
  14. bac1023

bac1023

I’ve never visited the forum, but some of those folks may even have a more realistic approach to the company than do some folks here.

MD357 likes this.
  15. bac1023

bac1023

Yeah apparently not much accountability

16. pointnopoint

pointnopoint

I have owned 2 Taurus handguns and both of them have had issues. A PT-111 9mm that had the main retaining pin break around 300 rounds. Ordered a new one and it took 4 months and multiple phone calls to receive. I got rid of it when I got the pin and verified function. I also have (hopefully not for much longer) a 9 shot blued Taurus .22lr Snub that I had the rear adjustable sight fall off only after a few rounds and I was unable to find it. Called Taurus and it took almost 7 months and multiple calls to receive. It also has the cylinder release now that is so loose that it rattles when the gun moves. I have tried tightening it to no avail.

I also have a buddy that bought a Taurus 1911 early on in his gun buying years as a carry gun. After only a couple hundred rounds the safety was so loose that you could shake the gun a little and the manual safety would come off safe into fire. He got rid of it soon after that and picked up a quality gun instead.

17. bac1023

bac1023

The PT1911 is a complete POS, as are most of the autos, which suffered from bad designs and poor QC. The only vintage Taurus auto I think is good is the PT92, which is just a copy of the Beretta 92.

The revolver designs are better, being more difficult to screw up. However, they still suffer QC issues.

...and I’m not even mentioning the terrible CS.

Gary1911A1 likes this.
  18. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    Three pages over multiple days and our vaunted Taurus defender hasn’t emerged to tell everyone how they’re making things up?

Dave you’re slipping.

MD357 likes this.
  19. MD357

MD357

They had a really tough time with small parts breaking on those PT1911s and then there's the goofy hammer lock that would turn guns into a single shot. Good times.

20. bac1023

bac1023

Yes it seems as though Taurus finally got one right or at least decent.

Hopefully it keeps on going

Longbow likes this.