Louisville PD, National Guard shoot West End BBQ restaurant owner

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Bren, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

This is not going to work out well. In Louisville, "West End" is the PC term for "the hood."

Investigation launched into LMPD, National Guard fatal shooting of West End restaurant owner

Black BBQ restaurant owner shot beside his restaurant. A person commenting on Facebook said that his family had just said, on Facebook live, that he was killed by a protester, not police or National Guard. That would be pretty typical - he would be at least the 8th person shot by protesters in Louisville since the rioting started.

Details:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Gov. Andy Beshear has ordered Kentucky State Police to investigate the early Monday fatal shooting of the owner of a West End barbecue business by Louisville Metro Police and National Guard.

And the governor said that he wants video and body camera footage from the incident to be released "before nightfall." (I'll credit that idiot with being smarter than Louisville's chief, in this case)

The man killed was David McAtee, the popular owner of a barbecue business next to the Dino's Food Mart parking lot in the Russell Neighborhood, McAtee's nephew told The Courier Journal.

Louisville police and National Guard troops, who have been monitoring protests in recent days, were breaking up a "large crowd" that had gathered in the food mart's parking lot at about 12:15 a.m. when someone shot at them, LMPD Chief Steve Conrad said this morning.

They returned fire, killing McAtee. No one else was injured.

Conrad said it is unclear if the victim was the person who fired at officers.
    . . .

Seven people were shot and wounded during Thursday night's protest. Looting, vandalism and damage to physical and private property exploded Friday night. There have been numerous clashes between police in riot gear and demonstrators since Thursday.

spork likes this.
  2. spork

spork Caffeinator

The mayor is calling the guy "a great citizen" and has fired the chief (Conrad) because officer body cameras were not activated. The current press conference is on at the moment; they (LMPD) are saying they do not know who shot the guy. The two officers who discharged their weapons but who did not have cameras turned on are being thrown under the bus by the acting chief. They are about to release the radio transmissions.

There were also two National Guardsman who returned fire.

WDRB is currently showing some of the footage caught by a camera from some distance away. I don't know how long it will be up.

Edited to add: NSFW language in the audio release.
    https://www.wdrb.com/wdrb-livestream/

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Bill Keith and Jonesee like this.

3. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I wonder what the NG were carrying ; M9’s ?

Bill Keith likes this.
  4. Taz

Taz

What I was thinking as well. The ones in MN were carrying rifles, but I guess some MP group would be carrying m9’s.

5. fastbolt

fastbolt

Wonder if there was any sympathetic fire involved, or if all of the officers and Guard actually saw and identified the actual threat?

slamdunc likes this.
  6. willie_pete

If they were carrying AR’s , the autopsy should rule them in or out in short order.

7. Jeff1024

Jeff1024

Yeah not good. Chief Conrad should have been fired years ago, if not after the explorer scandal then after the overtime scandal or after one of the multiple questionable arrests by officers in his department.

Could be a tough night in Louisville, tensions were already pretty high. I will be retreating to my bunker.

8. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Friendly fire ... Always tragic.

But the same thing happened at Kent State on 5/4/1970, allegedly.

'For dead in O-Hi-O ...' :music:

:whistling:

vikingsoftpaw likes this.
  9. thespork

thespork

nothing "allegedly" about it, two victims were shot as they walked between classes more than 100 yards away.

Jonesee likes this.
  10. fastbolt

fastbolt

Still haven't heard if they'd definitely determined the businessman had or hadn't possessed a weapon (fired or unfired). Wouldn't be surprising if a business owner decided to possess a firearm. If so, did he fire it, or might he just have been seen holding it when shots had been heard by the officers and Guard?

Considering they were reacting to gunfire at that location, it wouldn't be shocking if the deceased businessman turned out to have actually been shot and killed by whomever else was shooting, other than the cops and Guard. Hopefully that part of the forensics will be available pretty quickly.

Lots of questions to be asked and answered, as always.

Tragic that he lost his life, though.

willie_pete likes this.
  11. spork

spork Caffeinator

The Ky Governor is also throwing the officers under the bus at a news conference. He is also talking about new restraints on the guard and throwing LMPD under the bus for going to the extremely crowded market where many, many people were violating the curfew.
    https://www.wdrb.com/wdrb-livestream/

12. willie_pete

Yeah, sorry the guy died if he was an innocent bystander.

I learned a simple truth years ago in the Chicago riots after MLK was killed.

Try not to be in the middle of rioters and people with guns. Be somewhere else.

Caver 60, misterfox, Deltic and 6 others like this.
  13. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Aw...crap. This is one of those situations where there is no upside. And I suspect, plenty of blame to go around.

Let's see:

Riots? Check.
    Business owner. Check.
    Owner with gun to protect himself & staff. We'll see.
    Police with guns. Check
    Guardsmen with guns. Check.
    Everybody plenty jumpy? Oh, hell yeah. CHECK!
    Other dude(s) with guns. We'll see.
    Other dude(s) next to Owner. We'll see.
    Other dude(s) fire at cops. We'll see.
    Other dude(s) beat feet. We'll see.
    Owner w/gun "WTF was that...?!"
    Cop ans Guard: INCOMING! BANG! BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG!
    EVERYBODY: Ooops...

There have been several reports of "protesters" throwing firecrackers into crowds, perhaps to simulate gunfire, and raise the general anxiety level.

14. spork

spork Caffeinator

According to the Governor of KY, the Guardsman were ordered to keep their guns unloaded until they were fired upon...

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Bummer.....that is/was a great BBQ joint. Sorry to hear this for the family

spork likes this.
  16. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

And just like that, the narrative is being turned on its head as additional evidence comes out.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...s-aftermath-david-mcatee-shooting/5311384002/

https://www.wave3.com/2020/06/02/ne...ted-be-released-deadly-shooting-david-mcatee/

It appears that surveillance-video from outside the deceased's own place of business showed that he was the one cracking off rounds.

I admit, I myself didn't pick a 53 year-old business owner as a likely person to start shooting at cops and National Guard troops, but here we are.

Caver 60, Wayward Son, CAcop and 2 others like this.
  17. B C

B C

So they fired a chief and called the shooter a great citizen before knowing any circumstances? What a joke.

18. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

"Hello? Hey, Steve, buddy. How's the job search going? Good, good. Listen, about my firing you yesterday... there's no need for that to turn into a whole thing, right? I said some things, I said some other things, I even said a few more things after that. But we're cool, right?"

Wayward Son, snerd, wprebeck and 3 others like this.
  19. Taz

Taz

Well, I’m sure the NYPD didn’t think an Ivy League lawyer would’ve be out tossing Molotov’s at them either. Stupid happens quite often.

Can’t see a weapon in his hand when he enters holding his chest. Did they find a gun outside his doorway??

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    B C likes this.