Loud Pipes

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by WERA49, Jun 9, 2005.

1. WERA49

WERA49

How many lives have been saved by loud pipes? I can't stand to hear them. My ears can detect each 1% of throttle opening. Why do people think that they're cool?

I have a pipe on my bike, but it's quiet. It doesn't offend anyone. I've asked the Harley guys that I work with. While they prefer Harley's, they had no problem with the sound of my bike.

Ok, I'm off of my soap box. :)

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Loud pipes don't save lives. Loud pipes make the bikers think that they're cool and make those who are around them think that they are jackasses.

3. WERA49

WERA49

I couldn't have said it better myself. ^6 ^c

4. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

Agreed! I once found myself in traffic next to some custom hog with really, really loud pipes. Had I been on MY bike, I may have been tempted to turn his ignition off and run like stink! ;P So obnoxious it is just not right. And 9 times out of 10, if a person in a car hears the pipe, they start looking around everywhere but at the source! Some good that does us, eh?

Me? I like stock, though a little throater on my SV would sound pretty good IMO, but not LOUD! :cool:

5. Stop CPR

Stop CPR

Anything that makes drivers notice you may save your life. Why do you drive with your lights on in the middle of the day? Do police use their siren to look cool? Loud pipes make people look at you and that may be all it takes to keep them from pulling out in front of you.

6. RBR

RBR

Sirens & lights point forward so people can see or hear you coming. Your open pipe bike is shaking the fillings out of the people next to or behind you. Obnoxiously loud pipes do nothing but irritate fellow motorists and cause them to hate bikes even more.

7. quinch

quinch Turgid Member Millennium Member

Loud is just annoying. I borrowed a bike with wide open pipes, I couldn't go more than 20-30 minutes on it until my head started splitting. I like deep, not loud.
    I modded my stock exhaust, and it turned out pretty good, but I heard another guys bike with V&H Kickers and the quiet baffles installed, sounded REALLY nice. Low heavy rumble.

8. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Loud pipes can be a good thing, but obviously there is a point of diminishing returns. A Hog with straight pipes is going over board. On the other hand, a nicely tuned exhaust that runs a few dB's higher than stock sounds good and increases the safety factor. One of the causes of car v. bike accidents is that cagers generally aren't used to looking for bikes. When they can hear one, even if they don't immediately locate the source, they are at least know to look out for a bike, even if it is only to find out who's the jackass making the annoying noise. I'd rather have them see me and think I'm a jackass than hit me.

Again let me stress that there is a point where the increased volume isn't increasing safety anymore, but still raises your jackass quotient.

9. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

I don't think anyone has ever come up with numbers on how many lives might have been saved from loud pipes (that would be hard to get a good source from).

Personally I like the sound of loud pipes. Nothing like waking up the neighborhood when I leave for work (hey, I'm up, they should be too dammit! ;f )

From personal experience, I was saved from getting hit once because of my louder pipes. I was getting onto the highway, there were two lanes to turn onto the entry (I was in the left hand turn lane). Green light, I turn left as does this soccer mom in a mini van (I was on my Buell, with Vance and Hines exhaust). Well she turns, and almost immediately tries to get into the lane I was occupying! I hit the horn, didn't phase her. Yanked on the thottle, letting out a loud roar, and it startled her enough to get back into her lane.

I've had a few close calls that were avoided because I would blip the throttle, when someone would try to get into the lane I was occupying. So, while annoying, I can attest that it can help sometimes.

Given the number of motorcycles out there (Harley alone sells 350k bikes a year now, Honda is over 400k bikes), people need to start paying more attention to their surroundings. I personally think that every person should be forced to learn to ride a motorcycle, just so they can have a little more awareness (almost every rider I've met has noticed increased awareness, same as those who CCW for that matter).

10. rustychev

rustychev

Yep i just love it when bikes go by at 2 or 3 am and I wake up. Hey 150 feet off the road and on the far side of my house I guess im just to close.

Rusty

11. waterwolves

waterwolves

What gets me is why at every stop harleys have to rev their motors. Is that so the motor does not die on them. Or is it look at me, "I'm cool" Not! Big growl, but no bite.

12. WERA49

WERA49

Have you noticed that the guys with loud pipes look around to see who is looking at them? ;Q (that includes sitting at a stoplight and revving the engine)

I've also wondered why cops don't ticket these people. Most areas have anti-noise ordinances.

13. wuzfuz

wuzfuz

Driving intelligently saves lives.
    Loud pipes are inconsiderate and rude and just piss off your neighbors. They’re NOT cool, and restrict YOUR ability to hear what’s happening around you.
    I have an vintage Triumph (with NEW vintage Triumph silencers) it has that 60's brit bike rumble, that’s plenty of noise for me.

[​IMG]

14. MatGlock

MatGlock

Loud pipes disorient and piss off drivers. How can this possibly save lives??

15. G21forME

G21forME NRA MEMBER

If I piss you off then you know I am right next to you. Ride a quiet bike for a week and a loud bike for a week and you'll know the difference. With all due respect you might want to gain a little experience on the matter before you make your comments.

16. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Or in front of me, or behind me... and just because you're noisy doesn't mean that I'm looking for you or care that you're there.

The difference being what... that one bike really pisses off the general population and give all bikers a bad rep?

With all due respect you might want to consider what your inappropriate noise level does to the entire riding community.

17. waterwolves

waterwolves

18. G21forME

G21forME NRA MEMBER

Down boy! State legal is 106 and that's what I ride, it's loud enough for me but isn't going to shake anyone's windows apart. And like I said there is a difference in riding when it comes to the volume of your exhaust regarding safety. If you disagree fine, I really couldn't care less but I know my loud pipes have saved my life more than a few times and that's why I will not ride a quiet bike. And anyone who has a problem with my 100% street legal bike needs to worry about their own affairs. Oh and by the way our ispections include a db level so I can assure you my "loud pipes" aren't all that loud. Unfortunately every time the subject is mentioned people get this auditory memory of the loudest bike they have ever heard and equate that with every other bike in question. And as far as the riding community is concerned there is a vast number of riders who would agree with me, as you might find out if you ever came to bike week. Again with respect, I will agree to disagree.

take care

19. Bob T

Bob T Millennium Member

If loud pipes are a safety device, then you should point them forward so they attract attention in the direction you are going.

It seems that most of the loud pipes saves lives nonsense crowd also wear black leather jackets. If you want to be more visable in traffic, why not wear a high-viz vest over it or other bright riding gear.

20. MatGlock

MatGlock

No, I am not doubting your ability to piss me off. Loud noises are disorienting and extremely difficult to locate the direction they came from. If you are so concerned about your safety, tell me about your riding apparrel...I'm guessing black, or maybe just a T-shirt- definately not high-visability. Howabout a helmet.... bandana, skullcap...definately not a full face.

I appreciate the feigned motion of respect, but I have over 6 years as a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Instructor and 120,000miles of riding experience, the last 70K accident free on 'quiet bikes', so yes, I have a lot of experience in the matter.