close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lotsa Harleys in Scottsdale, AZ Tonight.

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by DaisyCutter, Apr 8, 2006.

1. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

I had to take a trip to "Old Town" Scottsdale tonight. I must've seen 300 Harleys. As I drove, I also said 300 prayers for all the Harley Riders at the bars that are gonna ride home without a helmet.

It amazes me that these riders get the (arguably) poorest handing, poorest braking machines, and don't wear any head protection. Add in the fact that many Harley riders aren't particularly well blessed in the skills department... and the topper is the 300lbs of female ballast that many carry around.

It totally befuddles me.

Riding my streetbike was as instinctual for me as wiping my butt, and I never left home without a helmet, jacket, boots, and gloves. From my encounters with the ground (on a dirtbike), I realized that I never wanted to hit the hot asphalt without substantial protection... And I never mixed alcohol and riding.

Though I can't abide their logic, I hope they all made it home unscathed.

2. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

I just hope they stay down there.

3. BikerRN

BikerRN

The Lord looks after fools and drunks so they should be OK since they have both cases covered. ;)

4. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

Sadly, I've seen drunk riders go down and survive something that a sober person probably wouldn't. I wasn't there for it, but a guy I know (friend of a friend) decided to gun it while making a left turn, pretty much throwing his wife off. The way she bounced down the road I heard would've killed a sober person apparently. :upeyes:

How good handling do you need though when you get down to it? They (and myself, as I have a Harley too) didn't buy/ride that type of bike to drag their knee around the corner (I'll get another sportbike if that's the type of riding I want to do! :cool: )

Kindof funny DC, but what you are talking about isn't limited to just Harley riders. We went to the Tilted Kilt several times and saw a large group of Ducati riders (some beautiful bikes in that group too!) They were pounding down the beers and shots, then tore out of there.

I haven't done much of the bike week stuff (it was fun the first two years I was here, but then I didn't own a bike at the time) this year, not my cup of tea as much anymore. Rather ride with a bunch of friends, or spend a few hours riding with my wife (building her up for day/overnight trips). Heck, I was out babysitting with my wife tonight (yep, I'm a big bad-*****ed Harley rider!) :laughabove:

Has there been any accidents or fatalities out here? I know it's not big like Daytona or Sturgis, but I thought I would've caught something at least on azcentral for any accidents or fatalities......

5. wolfy692005

wolfy692005 pro tinkerer

nice to see us riders stick together here... sence everytime i see a bike crash here its not a harley.. i could not care less either way. a bike down to me is a bike down and i feel loss for the rider, be he 20 or 60 male or female, harley or other.. helment or no.. most crashs seen here a helment would do no good.. you ride 100+ and slam into the back of a car or have on pull out in front of you,, it aint going to help... i just wish i didnt see so much bashing here, guess that just the kind of people you really are and i should just except that.. i was brought up different.

6. BikerRN

BikerRN

Around here it's a lot of Harley's that crash.

Yes, we have our share of squids too, but when the crashes make the news it's 7/10 a Harley rider. The 7/10 statistic is my own made up one. That is just the way I perceive it from the local newsmedia, which is always right. ;)

If my previous post was offensive to some I'm sorry you feel that way. Most often it's the "Harley types" that will be found w/o safety gear, riding intoxicated and thinking their crap don't stink. Also, I get more waves from sportbike riders than from Harley types.

Yes, I knock Harley for it's lack of technology. I learned on an FLH and got rid of my FXD to pay some bills before discovering Ducati. To me Harleys are like revolvers, some are pretty to look at, but I'd rather shoot/carry a Kahr or a Glock. Kahr is like a Ducati and the Glock is like a jap bike.

7. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

The Harley riders don't wad themselves into brick walls like the sportbike riders, but I've seen several Harley tip-overs and minor wrecks at lights and turns.

I honestly feel more comfortable with my helmet on.

I saw a chick today, riding solo... jeans, boots, and a bra was all. She looked good, though 115lbs ain't gonna muscle around a 650lb bike.

If I rode a Harley, I'd wear a helmet. If someone laughed, I'd be tempted to head-butt them... before removing the helmet. ;)

Too bad that it doesn't apply, because I'd wager that no Harley rider would laugh at another Harley rider for wearing a helmet. You really sacrifice no coolness for being safe.

8. Cryptoboy

I'm not offended, I like all types of bikes. :) I do disagree with you though, I see more sportbike riders in this area with no or little protective gear. Especially the past season or so I've seen more Harley riders wearing helmets than sportbike riders. Do I wear a helmet? I'd say about half the time. I will always wear one when I'm commuting to work. If I'm out on a weekend (or evening ride) with some friends (meaning 5+ bikes), I tend to not wear one (I have a full face, half face, even one of those beanie helmets). I know it's just an illusion, but I feel safer riding in groups.

As far as the wave thing, I got my first wave from a sportbike about a week ago while on my Harley, so that really goes both ways! :clown: The "Harley types" you are talking about are definately out there (I typically equate the rubs and squids), I personally don't ride with any of them (they're pretty easy to spot, both groups). Most of my riding buddies ride their bikes as their daily driver, and several either had or still have sportbikes!

I don't disagree with you, Harley's are not a technological marvel. But when you get down to it, most people on bikes will NEVER even begin to approach a sportbikes ability. I love riding sportbikes, but my back is ready to separate from my body after an hour or so. My Electra Glide, I can literally ride that all day at 75-80mph and feel just as comfortable as riding in a luxury vehicle.

As long as you're out there riding, that's the important thing!

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I saw a "Dood" this last Saturday and I must admit that this is a first in SoCal for me: Full face helmet (Cali has helmet law), T-shirt, short, bare hands, and the ultimate footgear - flipflop.

I've seen the flipflop deal in Hawaii and Florida but never in Cali before. The killer deal was the full face helmet. At that point, why bother with a full face? Should have just gotten a turtle shell to satisfy the legal requirement.

Whatever, I don't really care because it's not my skin that's going to take the pounding.

Drink and ride is another story. That's as bad as drink and drive. I don't care if you kill yourself but you have no right to put me and mine in harm's way.

PS The Billet Bar in Scottsdale is pretty cool. I love rolling into that joint with full race leathers on and let Il Tuono speaks through the Leo Vince pipe.

10. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

That's where I was... wall-to-wall packed with chromed out oil-drippers.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The main bartender there is named Elizabeth. A bit too much of makeup and bolt-ons; if you know what I mean, but a totally sweet person. The first time I came to the Billet Bar was on my Rockster. There's a regular guy there that also rides an R1100S. I had on my blue/white outfit. :)

A year later I came back with the red outfit on and she still remembered me. I guess chicks dig racing leathers:clown:

12. ChaZ

ChaZ Millennium Member

I wear my helmet when I feel like it. I sometimes don't wear my helmet. I sometimes go around in my T-shirt. Sometimes in my bike jacket.

Judge me if you want, call me anything you want. Do I give a bleep?

Kids in sandbox will always be screaming that other kids have better toys or are breaking playground rules. I thought we all are already past that phase...

-ChaZ

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

But have you ever gone "commando"? Inquiring minds want to know.

14. ChaZ

ChaZ Millennium Member

Only when I wear my utilikilts. :)

-ChaZ

15. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

You didn't specify if it was okay to simply wish you safe riding and say a prayer?

16. Cryptoboy

Yeah, Beth is really cool. We've hung out with her outside of the Billet a few times. She's been there forever too.

I got another wave yesterday on the way home from a guy on a sportbike (my second! lol) What's this world coming to? :clown:

17. ChaZ

ChaZ Millennium Member

How do you say a prayer to a hard-core athiest like me? ;)

-ChaZ