Glock Talk banner

Lots of ammo... but high prices

1823 Views 27 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  Deaf Smith
Today I went by Academy Sports and another chain. TONS of ammo. I saw cases of 9mm FMJ, 1000 round count, for $399. I'm talking about maybe 15-20 cases!

Lots of 5.56mm, .40 S&W, .380, .45 ACP, etc... 200 round value packs of 9mm...

But at high prices.

Yes $20 for 50 rounds of FMJ 9mm is still way high. Even saw some primers for sale at Academy for $6.99 a hundred.

So give it 3-5 months and maybe prices will be more sane again. Kind of to cold to shoot right now anyhow.
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· It ain't over
9,263 Posts
I recently bought 2 cases (500 rounds) of 12ga target loads for 10.99/box. Each case was about ~$118. This included tax - shipping was free.

Last summer I paid $7/box at my club. This summer the club will only supply shells to our youth shooters (free). But they won't be selling any shells to members. Buying the shells thru my club last year means I have plenty on hand for this summer. I bought the extra 20 boxes just because I could.

$11/box is not cheap. But that may very well be the floor going forward. Inflation will result in higher component prices and then higher box prices. Also, when manufacturers realize they can sell shells for $11/box, I don't think they'll be lowering the price anytime soon.

Years ago I used to load my shells. I shot more then. Now, for the little I shoot I don't want to bother with it - I sold my press, etc., years ago.

It will be interesting to see, a year from now, if my $11 price was good or bad.

Reactions: papershoot

· Registered
933 Posts
I’m hopping the manufacturers place a little emphasis on primers. I don’t think they consider it a big money maker.

I whined when they were $30/1000. If I saw $50/1000 I might move on a few.
That is probably going to be a really long wait. I would guess that we're looking at another 3-4 years minimum before primer demand is met and are readily available again at decent prices. They are prioritizing primers but mostly for use in their own production lines. Vista suspended accepting new orders for them so that is a bad indicator.

Rising Material Costs Induce Vista Outdoors Ammunition Price Increases

· Registered
1,959 Posts
Academy --
Is $27.99 too much for 50 rounds FMJ Federal .380? Yes.
Did I decide that having some is better than not having any or even enough to train with? Yes.
Was (between Mrs Tinyman and I) the total days purchase 800 rounds? He77 yes.
Are we going to train? Nuff said.

· It ain't over
9,263 Posts
I’m hopping the manufacturers place a little emphasis on primers. I don’t think they consider it a big money maker.

I whined when they were $30/1000. If I saw $50/1000 I might move on a few.

That is probably going to be a really long wait. I would guess that we're looking at another 3-4 years minimum before primer demand is met and are readily available again at decent prices. They are prioritizing primers but mostly for use in their own production lines. Vista suspended accepting new orders for them so that is a bad indicator.

Rising Material Costs Induce Vista Outdoors Ammunition Price Increases
Federal has primers on their website for $6.99/100 and up. Nothing is cheap and I don't see it coming down - ever. 1) inflation will force prices higher. 2) When they sell primers at that price, why lower it?

The primers are on the website - but they will only sell to dealers. If interested, at that price, have your dealer order them for you.

I have a good friend who's nephew works at Federal - and has for many years. He says they're running 24hrs a day to meet demand - at current prices.

Reactions: sombunya

· Use it up, throw it away
12,963 Posts
Federal has primers on their website for $6.99/100 and up. Nothing is cheap and I don't see it coming down - ever. 1) inflation will force prices higher. 2) When they sell primers at that price, why lower it?

The primers are on the website - but they will only sell to dealers. If interested, at that price, have your dealer order them for you.

I have a good friend who's nephew works at Federal - and has for many years. He says they're running 24hrs a day to meet demand - at current prices.
I hear you and I agree. The only solution I see is more manufacturers, and I’m not holding my breath for that to happen.

I think we’ve moved into a new era where those of us who are older will be saying, “I can remember when…”

· Registered
109 Posts
Today I went by Academy Sports and another chain. TONS of ammo. I saw cases of 9mm FMJ, 1000 round count, for $399. I'm talking about maybe 15-20 cases!

Lots of 5.56mm, .40 S&W, .380, .45 ACP, etc... 200 round value packs of 9mm...

But at high prices.

Yes $20 for 50 rounds of FMJ 9mm is still way high. Even saw some primers for sale at Academy for $6.99 a hundred.

So give it 3-5 months and maybe prices will be more sane again. Kind of to cold to shoot right now anyhow.
Well it's 4 months later now. A few things have come down, many things still high or unavailable. Norma shooting had a neat sale recently, buy one 9mm @ $16.95 get a box of Tac-22 free, with free ship over $49. Right now they have .380 at $23 50/FMJ and $25 20/JHP. Things have improved but we'll never see pre-pandemic prices again.

· Registered
10,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well it's 4 months later now. A few things have come down, many things still high or unavailable. Norma shooting had a neat sale recently, buy one 9mm @ $16.95 get a box of Tac-22 free, with free ship over $49. Right now they have .380 at $23 50/FMJ and $25 20/JHP. Things have improved but we'll never see pre-pandemic prices again.
We will if there is another Great Depression!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.