Glock Talk banner

Lots of ammo... but high prices

1822 Views 27 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  Deaf Smith
Today I went by Academy Sports and another chain. TONS of ammo. I saw cases of 9mm FMJ, 1000 round count, for $399. I'm talking about maybe 15-20 cases!

Lots of 5.56mm, .40 S&W, .380, .45 ACP, etc... 200 round value packs of 9mm...

But at high prices.

Yes $20 for 50 rounds of FMJ 9mm is still way high. Even saw some primers for sale at Academy for $6.99 a hundred.

So give it 3-5 months and maybe prices will be more sane again. Kind of to cold to shoot right now anyhow.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,945 Posts
I saw the same here today at Academy. It looked 90 percent stocked but some price have increased this year. 7.62x39 normally $6.99 for 20, now $8.99. I have been buying 22lr automatch at Wally and 9mm @ GT distibutors $15.99 for 50. None of its old prices for sure but available if needed.

· Registered
16,924 Posts
yup. let the dummies and rich people buy $`14 ammo at $21...sooner or later it will come down...now that said I HAVE been seeing and getting ads with prices in that $14-15 range now too which I find acceptable as I think thats for the most part the new "floor" ($14). I just got 650 rounds of federal automatch for $40 not great but again I think thats about the new floor...they had CCI standard velocity @$4.97 a box, 325 packs of Federal automatch @ $21 a box and for some reason they still think people want to pay $40 for like 300 rounds of Winchester superx...that was on the shelf and untouched at that price..a counter guy said that they have sold exactly 3 boxes of it in 2 weeks...why do I want 300 rounds of winchester for the same price(about) that I could get 650 rounds of the federal.... or the equal amount of CCI standard(which would have been $30 for 300 rounds) I just dont understand the Winchester thing do they think people want to pay a extra $10-15 for a retro box???

For instance I see

LAX has $15.25 for their brass ammo per 50 and $142 for the Nickle plated brass per 500

im at about $14-16 a box i guess doing math thats about $.27-.30 cents a round max when it gets over that they can "keep it in stock" for the desperate or the suckers or rich..

· Registered
11,372 Posts
My money is on prices will never again hit the range ammo 9mm at $179/1,000.

There are way too many forces at work against this: the fact more people bought guns, an administration who is anti2a, ammo is made from natural resources and I don’t recall God making more lead, inflation and the unseen hand of manufacturers.

Manufacturers claim to be running 24/7 but are they really? As a financial analyst it’s a pretty simple calculation on profit per unit based on cost. Normally dormant machinery is a anchor if it’s not running but if I can produce a million rounds being sold at 25 cents a piece rather than the 11 to 12 cents from before and know flooding the market will reduce the price I think twice.

Hell, we have been subdued by now. We would rejoice to the heavens if we found range 9mm at say $225-250/1,000. My pheasant hunting load (3”, #4 steel) used to be $125/case, right now it’s $169 if I can find it. If I found it at $150 I would be happy.

Reactions: pgm74

· Registered
9,076 Posts
VISTA OUTDOOR REPORTS RECORD THIRD QUARTER FY22 FINANCIAL RESULTS
- Record Sales up 38% to $795 Million, GAAP EPS of $2.00 and Adjusted EPS of $2.10

- EBIT and EBITDA Margins of 20% and 22%, Respectively; Net Debt Leverage Ratio of 1.0x

- Closes Acquisition of Stone Glacier in Q4 Expanding TAM in Adjacent Categories, High Growth Opportunity

- Raises FY22 Guidance: Sales of $2.97 Billion to $3 Billion, GAAP EPS of $7.82 to $7.92, and Adjusted EPS of $8.00 to $8.10; Well Above 3-Year Targets Reflecting Roughly 35% Sales and 120% Adjusted EPS Growth

- Authorizes New $200 Million Share Repurchase Program

· Registered
811 Posts
Ammo has slowly started to come back on shelves and prices gradually decreasing as the buying surge has calmed down. As long as there isn’t any further panic buying triggers, the downward trend should continue. I don’t think it’s going to be like before for a long time though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.