GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go to my indoor range today (always go when almost no one there) around 1:30pm. Shooting up my reloaded 9mm Berry 115gr's. I could not believe how much good brass was around! I didn't even really try and picked up probably 5x my brass and even after I tossed brass I didn't want there was a ton left! I guess no one there much reloads. Bad for them; good for me! Got enough primers for 1k more or so then I'm in trouble..... Grrrr.....

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
10,187 Posts
Same at the outdoor range near me...different areas different folks I guess...

·
885 Posts
Excellent. Most indoor ranges I've been to consider the brass to belong to them if it hits the floor.

Reactions: Rotn1

·
Registered
35,447 Posts
I shoot at two private clubs & one publuc range. There is always brass on the ground. Mostly service calibers & 223. Havent bought service brass in 15y.

·
NRA Life Member
3,936 Posts
Nice haul. If you're in the right place at the right time you are going to find it. The vast majority of shooters don't reload and have no use for it once it goes bang.

·
NRA Member
2,835 Posts
Good find.....At the private club I shoot at it kind of hit or miss. Monday morning early seems to be the prime for finding brass. Maybe a lot of non reloaders shoot on Sunday....just a guess though.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
When it comes to picking up brass... I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.

·
Consummate Reloader
1,282 Posts
A few commercial ranges I go to only allow you to pick up your own brass. They make decent money selling range brass.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Good thing your range doesn't ban you for picking up brass since some will. It's luck of the draw for me. One, there's not as many people shooting now so there's less brass. Two, I think more people now are picking up their own and other's brass.

I didn't even see enough 9mm or .45 ACP (which is rare to find anyway) laying around this past weekend to make up for what I lost. Sometimes I'll get over 100 .223 cases, sometimes I might find 5.

·
"Old Bill"
2,610 Posts
So I go to my indoor range today (always go when almost no one there) around 1:30pm. Shooting up my reloaded 9mm Berry 115gr's. I could not believe how much good brass was around! I didn't even really try and picked up probably 5x my brass and even after I tossed brass I didn't want there was a ton left! I guess no one there much reloads. Bad for them; good for me! Got enough primers for 1k more or so then I'm in trouble..... Grrrr.....
Good if you are lucky enough to have ranges like that! My local Fraternal Order of Police range passed a rule that you cannot even ask your neighbor for his brass. If the shooter discards it it is regarded as FOP property and sold off as scrap to defray costs.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Well I'd be worried if I didn't have buckets of brass in different cals... Just yesterday at the range I picked up some .350 legend? Fresh brass to. Someone has more money than I do to leave such expensive brass.

Today I test fire some new 10mm loads while going by SAM's (no I test fire them on the range... not at SAM's) and do some shopping for my wife. Tough afternoon. I'll pick up brass if its the kind I need (which means 10mm...and .300 blackout for some friends of mine.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
At my gun club somebody is out there every weekend shooting nickel plated 9mm defense loads and leaving the brass. I probably have 500+ nickel plated casings. I've got two 5 gallon buckets full of mostly 9mm and 5.56 brass. I do a range scour every time I'm out there. I'm set.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well there are not signs saying brass belongs to club and nothing in the online rules and I didn't ask. I've taken to shooting a mag or two and then stopping to pickup my brass and any that is close; I don't go up and down the range scrounging brass. Stopping gives me time to think about what I'm working on, taping targets, and slows down burning through the rounds I have.

·
Registered
13,551 Posts
Most indoor ranges that I have used allow you / expect you to police your own brass. You either keep it or put it in their recycle buckets.
As already noted brass has a value to the range and some ranges (many / most) consider brass as part of their business model income.
The spot value for scrap brass today is $1.78 per pound. Much more, I imagine if they are selling it for reloads / reloaders.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,363 Posts
Good if you are lucky enough to have ranges like that! My local Fraternal Order of Police range passed a rule that you cannot even ask your neighbor for his brass. If the shooter discards it it is regarded as FOP property and sold off as scrap to defray costs.
Okay Chris... you need to speak with your bro's in secret, let them pick up their own brass (for you), then do a clandestine deal out in the parking lot. Have you learned nothing about such exchanges during your years on the job?? 🤣 😇

·
Brass picker
650 Posts
I shot at an outdoor range at the handgun only area and we used to get a full coffee can full of mixed brass almost every week. Since the ammo apocalypse we might get 100-200 empties. Thankfully I managed to collect a few 5 gallon pails of each caliber over the years.

Reactions: xTerpx

·
Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)
2,970 Posts
I shot at an outdoor range at the handgun only area and we used to get a full coffee can full of mixed brass almost every week. Since the ammo apocalypse we might get 100-200 empties. Thankfully I managed to collect a few 5 gallon pails of each caliber over the years.
It's getting worse out there in my neck of the woods...seems only reloaders are shooting, as I get little left in my buckets nowadays. This weekend's booty (seems to be the same steel/aluminum crap each week, though I did get some brass this weekend):

·
Registered
35,447 Posts
I would find another place to shoot.

Reactions: George Kaplan
1 - 19 of 19 Posts