close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lost my safety deposit box key...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by goldenlight, Jan 7, 2010.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight

I just discovered that I can't find one of my safety deposit box keys.

I have the 2nd one, but I remember being told a lost key would cost $60, when I got the box.

Aside from the obvious stupidity of losing a safety deposit box key (duh!) can I get it copied somewhere?

The key blank is very simple: there are no grooves in the key; it's just a flat piece of metal, and it is stamped 'Diebold'.

Can I get this copied at a locksmith, or are these keys impossible to get the blanks to make copies.

I mean: $60 to get a key copied!:steamed::steamed::steamed:

TIA

2. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

does the key say, do not copy?
    :faint:

3. goldenlight

goldenlight

No, it doesn't.

4. kiole

kiole

try small hardware stores/homedepot/lowes to see if they carry the blanks if not see if they can order one. If that doesnt work go to the a lock smith and see how much a new copy would cost.

5. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

6. Mrs. Tink

Mrs. Tink Semper Fidelis

I think this is what it is for. I am in the same boat, except my cost is $75. I am just putting off the inevitable day when I will have to pay up. :sigh:

7. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Just make sure you don't lose the one you have. As long as you don't lose it and don't plan on changing boxes, I wouldn't buy a second one at this point, wait till you turn the box in. You may find the other key in the meantime. Put the remaing key in a place you KNOW it won't get lost.

If you lose the other key, you will owe the bank $120.00 but they will let you in the box with the infamous master key, but you will have owed them the money anyway because you lost TWO keys!

Just keep in mind that what you have in your safe deposit box is yours, and even if you lose the keys there's a process to get in the box.

8. ryanm

ryanm

That's probably the cost to change the lock and give you new key(s).
    Drilling the box would cost quite a bit more (likely).

9. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

Drilling the box was $150 five years ago, at least that's what I charged the banks. Replacement locks could hit $200 in some cases, so that's $350 that the bank is out of pocket. Don't know what it ended up being for the poor guy at the end who had to pay for it all.

Your average hardware store isn't going to have blanks for bit keys, you'll have to find a real locksmith's shop and I'd expect it to run less than $10.

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I know FOR A FACT that Lowes cannot order a blank. I'm nearly 99.99% sure HD cannot either.

A locksmith can cut a key. Probably $30 that route.

11. Max5

Max5

Master key?

As far as I knew, if you lost both keys the bank had to call in a certified locksmith to open the box. And once that was done a newly keyed lock was installed. The lost keys lock was retired due to the MIA keys.

12. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

First thing is to take that key you still have and photo copy it. A new key can be cut from a photo copy much cheaper then having a locksmith drill/break into box. My local bank has 5 boxes with no keys. The owners are unwilling to pay $$$ and bank is waiting till one NEEDS to get into box (pay the locksmith fee to get there) then the bank will have them do the other 4. I wish I knew how to pick locks better. I may check next time and see if I can figure a way to (break) in. Anyone know are they spring latches? If you open the one next to it could I guy get a flat pick to push latch back? (maybe if master key is turned)??

13. goldenlight

goldenlight

They should be VERY simple locks to 'pick'. The keys are very simple, and the locks are a very old design.

The SD boxes are inside a bank vault, so the primary protection is the vault door, not the individual locks on the boxes.

I've seen youtube videos of people picking locks (as a hobby) in about 15 seconds.

When I was in high school, I locked my keys in my locker, which had a Master lock on it.

One of my buddies' father was a locksmith. I found him, and asked him to pick my lock for me. He looked around on the floor for a minute, until he found a bobby pin.

He had that lock open in LESS than a minute, using ONLY one 'home made' "tool".

I always wondered about drilling the lock, in case the keys were lost.

I figure the BANK makes a LOT of money on the deal, and the locksmith makes out OK, too. :steamed:

14. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

The locks are not easy to pick. They are what you call a lever lock(very common in the UK but not here) in order to open one you would need a 2 in 1 pick(I'm guessing here as thats the usual tool for opening a lever lock but the key is thinner than most so I'm not 100% sure).

[​IMG]

Not This.

[​IMG]

15. goldenlight

goldenlight

16. BEER

BEER bad example

it's 5am and the coffee isn't done yet so i'm a little confused.

there are 2 keys to a safety deposit box? are both keys required to open the box? if that's the case then the 2 keys should obviously be different, so how do you get a locksmith to cut a copy of a key you don't have?

17. american lockpicker

Isn't that 2 seperate keys one you have and one the bank has?

18. BEER

BEER bad example

no he said in the original post that he lost one of his keys meaning that there are 3 keys total, 2 for him and then a master key which belongs to the bank.

19. american lockpicker

I meant for opening the box.

20. vafish

vafish

When I got my safety deposit box I was given two copies of my key to open the box. Only 1 of the 2 keys was needed by me to open the box.

It's just like when you buy a padlock at Home Depot, there are 2 identical keys in the package for the lock.

The bank also has their key for the 2nd lock.

If the OP still has 1 key he can get a copy made, if he finds the right locksmith.