close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lost Cell Phone

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by T4A, Aug 3, 2006.

1. T4A

T4A NRA Member

I lost my cell phone today and my contract isn't up for another year. Of course I don't have insurance, so a new phone is kinda expensive. My question is, if I buy a phone off of ebay, with no sim card ( since I lost mine ) , will cingular activate that phone even though I didn't buy it through them? I just hate to spend 150 dollars on a phone I can get off of e-bay for 50. Could I buy a sim card from e-bay also and just get them to activate it? Thanks for the replies.

2. Dandapani

Dandapani

did you call them to disable the old sim/phone?

3. T4A

T4A NRA Member

I reported the phone lost through customer service, supposedly disabling it.

4. Razrbk444

Razrbk444 Sumthin' Witty Silver Member

Cingular will activate it no problem. Just make sure if you buy from ebay, that the phone is compatible with Cingular's service. Most auctions I've seen usually have a link to check compatiblity with your provider and area.

Edited to add that you can buy sim cards on ebay as well, and some auctions will come with the card.

5. T4A

T4A NRA Member

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if there will be a charge to activate a phone and sim card I buy off ebay?

6. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

You could also go to Wal-Mart and get a Cingular pre-paid phone. The SIM is the same. That's what a Cingular rep told me to do. I just put my old SIM in it and it worked no problem. All you'd have to do is get them to program you a new SIM at a Cingular store.

7. T4A

T4A NRA Member

So then I would have a pre paid phone? Is that a less expensive route? Not sure I understand.

8. blue0623

blue0623 2B1ASK1

He's talking about just buying the pre paid phone for the phone not for the service. Buy pre paid phone, take it to a Cingular store have them reprogram the card to your acct, but the last time I bought a sim card from Cingular it was only like 20-30 bucks, if you buy one off Ebay that may be another route to go.

9. T. Harless

T. Harless

Also check to see if you're available for an phone upgrade. I still had time left on my contract but I could sign up for a new 2 year service and got a razor with rebates for $70. YOu can check that from their website.

10. amd4me

amd4me Coffee Snob

Most companies will not charge an activation fee if you phone is lost or stolen.
    There are two types of phone GSM and CDMA find out which cingular is and thne get yourself a phone.