Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had forgotten just how hard and painful it is to say goodbye to a furry friend...but this morning a beloved and very special Siamese Cat I rescued a few years ago died.
Im just glad I got back from my trip in time to say goodbye to her...not really sure what was wrong but she just started going into dark corners and under the dresser and started not wanting to eat. I was going to take her to the vet, but when we held her she seemed at peace and not in pain and I didnt want her to be in a cage if there was nothing that could be done...and have her go that way and not at home.

It was a very hard thing, I had a Neopolitan Mastiff for years and when he died I swore I would never get attached to another animal again like I was to him. It was so bad I could not go into my house for days after he died it was just to hard. But I was going into the gym one night and there was kitty wondering the parking lot...I took her away from the side of the road and asked if anyone knew where she came from but no one did. I finished my workout and when I went back outside there she was...lol Came running over to me, I picked her up said you want to come home with me....she meowed and I put her on my lap drove her home and was part of the family instantly.
Had the coolest personality and little quirks......and needless to say became very attached to her, she always had her special little short meows to say hi, or good morning..always had a greeting for us...was just a very loved part of the family.
So this morning has been Very Very heart breaking and sad...having to say goodbye to our beloved friend...but she is where there is no more pain and I hope that since I found/rescued her she had a good and happy and loving life.
Bye my beloved Friend you will be Deeply Missed and never forgotten

G

·
I am so sorry to read about the loss of your friend and companion.
I rescued one a few years ago....while working in Nebraska.
He was absolutely the smartest cat I have ever seen...and raised our new dachshund. They were friends and companions from day 1. He would go out to the backyard with me when I was stringing a new antenna (am a ham radio operator). He would sit and chirp at me like he was telling me how to do it correctly.
He was an outdoor cat...even though we tried to make him an indoor one..he was miserable when forced to live indoors.
One day my wife and our dachshund were going outside and T (Tecumsah) was on the other side of the street. He saw his friends and started to run across...in the path of an oncoming car.
My heart broke that day...and I cried myself so hard that I swore that I would never love one again....that hard..because it hurts so bad when they go away.
But we do my friend...we continue to love them because they give so much back to us. And they make our lives even richer.
I am sorry my friend...please know that we are here for you...we know what you are going through. It hurts so very bad...but with time the sharp edges of the pain mellow a bit...but there will always be that empty place in your soul that your friend once occupied.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
celticwarlord, I am very sorry to hear of the passing of your special friend. I almost have tears in my eyes reading your post since it caught me off guard and I'm going to have to make life and death decisions for my Mom's (used to be hers, but now I suppose it more mine since I have more responsibilities for it now) orange tabby Tommy in the near term. It is amazing how attached you become to your pets. I'm one of the those guys who likes to travel light with few attachments and obligations, but sometimes you just happen into situations. Anyway, I am sorry and my thoughts and prayers go out to you.

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. :crying:

We have five rescue kitties and I so dread the day I lose one...

Hang in there. Kitty chose you and you served her well. :hugs:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You Eagle, Jefs, Miss kitty
yes the pain comes in waves, I try to remember the good and be happy but then you just get hit like a sledge hammer with the pain and sorrow.
And even trying to live by my own words to other people which are...We grieve and are sad for ourselves..for our departed are in a better place and know no pain...but we are sad because they wont be around. Even living by my own words it is impossible not to feel such deep sorrow.
Eagle yes they are incredibly smart cats and love to talk with their own little language and yes they DO talk to us! And I cannot imagine what you felt that day when he ran across the street...my heart stopped just reading your words...I am so sorry for your loss

I miss her lil unique short meows saying Hi, or conveying something to me...yes they talk and tell us what to do lol Im trying to think of it like an Irish wake and celebrate things, and yes I feel special since she did pick me that night....and Im glad she passed in my arms and not on some cold stainless steel table....I take some solice in that...I will miss my friend and I have not cried or shed a tear since my Mastiff passed...but my special friend I hope is in Heaven with him and the other pets I have lost and happy and I will see them again one day.

Jefs I understand how you feel about dreading a decision down the road...My wife has a cat she rescued from a junkyard and I dread the day we lose him....I have no idea how I will be able to console her...but I dont dweel on it and I just think of the good times and try to enjoy each moment with them.
Thank you for all the kind words and Im sorry if my post touched nerves or made people sad....but I realized that when we do lose a friend it just brings up the deep buried pain of others and it all hits us again.

But thank you for all your kind words and thoughts I will always miss and love her

·
Registered
687 Posts
Celtic,
Sorry for your loss. It is very difficult to lose a furry family member. You provided her with a great life and made an awesome choice this morning in keeping her home where she was obviously comfortable. When one of the waves comes crashing in, just remember she would not want you crying to mourn her passing, but smiling and remembering the joy she brought into your lives and the joy you and your family brought into hers. Time will heal.
Rick

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
celticwarlord, I'm checking back in again to let you know you're in my thoughts. I'm really not a big pet, animal guy, but I do understand those who are (my sister has seven indoor (permanent) cats and seven she keeps in her air-conditoned garage. As I mentioned above, my mom's cat is sick with hyperthroidism and cancer and I do admit (somewhat reluctantly) I have come to love and feel responsibility for him. I've already spent 5K for mri's and the such at http://www.petcancercare.com/ (check out the site, Dr. Winter is my doc.)

Anyway, I just wanted to check in with you celtic and let you know folks out here understand and feel your pain. Also, I'm a Christian and feel obligations to humans first, but, boy oh boy, do I feel love and responsibility for Tommy, so you are in my thoughts and you should feel good since you provided your beloved with a good home.

My thoughts and prayers are with you,
Jefs

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Thoughts are with you celtic and cllrtr, and I know you feel good knowing you provided good homes and lives for your beloved ones. Hey, on a lighter note, you folks would be real proud of me were you here a couple of days ago to witness my busting through thick foliage in my dress clothes in the sweltering Florida heat (yes, I was cussing up a storm) in an attempt to round up my sister's neighbor's sick kittens to take to the vet. I was told they'd all be crated up and ready to go and all I had to do was drive them to the vet. No such luck. We got five of the seven on the first attempt and we (My 81 yr old mom, sis's 80 yr old neighbor lady, and the-used-to-be-strong-and-strapping, but now frazzled, me) went back and got one of the remaining two. Those little suckers are surprisingly quick and agile in the bush.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jefs thank you very much for your follow up thoughts and prayers...and my friend you are Much more of an animal lover than you realize or want to admit ;) It happens they get into our hearts no matter how hard we try not to let them.
I am a loner to an extent and dont allow myself to get close to things, I can deal much better with the loss of people than with animals and always have....not being mean or cruel I just view it that people can care for themselves and animals rely on us and ask Nothing in return but love. Anyway it is still very hard but I think about the good times, and that she is not in pain and in a better happier place....I placed a cement angel and a solar light over her resting place and she is next to my beloved Mastiff so they are close to each other and in a better place...and I know I will be with them both one day and until then they will and are always with me.

I hope your Moms cat is ok and the fact that you do all you do for that cat shows you love animals much more than you want to admit and are much close to that cat than you are probably comfortable admitting.
Thanks very much for your thoughts and prayers and please keep me updated on your friends condition.

And thanks to the others for their follow ups and kind words and prayers...thank you all and my prayers and thoughts are with all of you as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am sorry for your loss of your companion. My little girl is still getting over losing her little Butterscotch kitten. It was such a cute kitten whenever the time would get close for her to get off the schoolbus that little kitten would jump up on the back of the couch and sit there and just wait. When the bus would pull up sure enough when my daughter would open the door there was her little Butterscotch right there waiting for her to pick her up so that she could get petted. But unfortunately last week her little cat snuck outside and while Butterscotch was crossing the road a truck was driving by and did not swerve or slow down and ended up hitting the cat. She was a good cat I don't think I could have asked for a better cat. Again I am sorry for your loss.
Sincerely
Dave

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thank you very much Mr. Jefs for your thoughts.
Mr Celtic I can relate to your thoughts of critters vs people exactly.
The animals depend on us to make the right choices for them.
Thank you again and best wishes to all.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Hey celtic, I appreciate the vote of confidence concerning my being a decent person (as anyone who cares for others is.) I know things are tough for you now, but I really liked reading about your placing the cement angel and solar light over her resting place. Good work. Yeah, the kinda sad thing about my situation, is that my Mom has Alzheimer's and really loves (and I guess can relate to) animals and small kids, and tabby Tommy kind of ignores her and cottons to me. It's very sad seeing my Mom get on the floor putting her face out for Tommy to nuzzle against, as she's seen him do a thousand times with me, and have him walk away. Damn. The good thing is Mom is usually pretty happy and that's what counts.

Sorry for the down note, but it did cheer me reading about your angel and light commemoration. Good for you my friend.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah that is heartbreaking...Im so sorry
But maybe when your mom kneels down for the cat to nuzzle her, kneel down next to her so the cat will come to you, and actually nuzzle both of you
That might help...and thanks for your kind words, you have a double whammy going my friend Im so sorry and my prayers will be with you

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
celticwarlord, clltrtr, and dave275, I'm proud to consider myself one of our small group bound together by a common bond - the love and loss of a beloved family member. I'm used to considering myself a pretty nice but, also, pretty tough guy, but now I'm feeling more human/humane now which is a good thing. I hate to say it, but I feel I've become a better individual for having to deal with my situation.

My hat's off to all you folks. You're in my thoughts. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Loving and greiving for an animal has no bearing on how tough one is Bro....many a soilder has found a stray dog or cat, lizard anything and bonded with it...a safe area if you will when you are with them.

Most of us on here are all law enforcement or work in the bounds of it.....but grieving for a lost friend does not detract from being tough..not in the least Bro Not in the least
I hope your situation improves

·
Banned
12,633 Posts
Sorry for your loss

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I'm with you on that, celtic. Yeah, I think I'm just a late bloomer maturity-wise, but I am proud to say I think I'm making progress. Sometimes I'm just silly stupid. Hope all are doing well.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Hey celtic, you'll appreciate this. I just posted in the 'carry issues' forum about how'd I personally known three folks murdered in jacksonville and one officer dead in the line of duty (one of my weightlifting buds) in the last 10 years, and my eyes were closed and I was feeling kinda down, and when I opened my eyes up there was Tommy. So, yes, dope that I am, I do know what you mean when you talk how much an animal can help a human in need. Thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes they can sense our pain and do want only to love and be our friends with nothing wanted in return. I am sorry for the loss of your friends and hope tommy is doing better
My thoughts are with you as well

1 - 20 of 20 Posts