close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Loss Prevention Staff put Girl in Headlock for Stealing Candy

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HalfHazzard, Jul 14, 2017.

1. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

2. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

As a father of a young girl, if this were my daughter, I would call my attorney in advance, and visit this employee to discuss things.

fatduk1963, mdlott, Grunow and 2 others like this.

3. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

In some countries, they cut your hand off for that.

4. Anicius Julianus

Anicius Julianus

Talk all you want but if your child is guilty, she is guilty and for order to be maintained, whether on the local level or national level, those who violate the law should pay the price for doing so.
    You can choose your choices but you can't choose the consequences.

5. Need4Speed

Need4Speed

I think the loss prevention dudes just wanted to tussle with a 15 year old girl.

6. kp352g

kp352g

I see a teenage miscreant trying her best to escape custody and two store loss prevention employees trying their best to maintain control and return her to the store. What the frack are you supposed to do? Perhaps something along the lines of, "Oh that's ok, steal whatever you want, have a nice day." Are you supposed to just give up when a perp complains and resists? She would not have had skinned knees if she had not resisted. The onlookers had no knowledge of why she was being detained and tried to facilitate the escape of a criminal. I can remember, as a kid, shop owners chasing after young shoplifters. If they caught a kid, it was usually by the arm, shirt, or the back of the hair, and they would drag the kid back into the store to call parents or police. Rarely would onlookers complain about the treatment. Usually, they would use it to teach their kids what happens when you steal.

Rizzo, DonGlock26, qas1178 and 18 others like this.
  7. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

8. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I am 100% for law and order, I just prefer mine to be delivered by trained LEOs. If WinCo has that big of a problem with theft there are lots of police officers available for uniformed security.

I believe that if a uniformed officer was present during the entire event the girl would not have resisted and the arrest would have been affected without incident instead of the needless escalation that is on the video. The difference is training, experience, and public perception.

billkill, tous and seedub70 like this.
  9. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

You are correct about her being a thief and she should pay the price for that crime. The questions I have would be specific to the jurisdiction and would relate to laws on use of force by private security. What does the law in that state say about private persons making arrests? How much force can they use on someone who resists their efforts? How much force can be used against someone who is not an immediate threat to their life? What company policies apply?

Loss prevention people in my area tend to be either very conscientious OR very overzealous. I observed a female loss prevention employee of Macy's chase two large men across a parking lot over the theft of a polo-shirt. Granted she had the courage to do her job, this could have easily went sideways for her if officers hadn't arrived when they did.

If my child had stolen something from a store, I would expect her to have been punished. On the flip-side, if the loss prevention people had used force like that, I would have definitely called my attorney.

fatduk1963 and seedub70 like this.
  10. The Faux King

The Faux King Built To Spill

Should have put the woman recording the video in a chokehold as well.

cbetts1, SGM_Brown, qas1178 and 9 others like this.
  11. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

Fortunate for us, those are just our allies and not the country we live in.

12. The Faux King

The Faux King Built To Spill

Fortunately for her, you mean.

SGM_Brown and janice6 like this.
  13. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

14. Sgt127

Sgt127

I saw a 15 year old thief attempting to escape and two loss prevention guys using (barely) enough force to prevent her escape.

I'm pretty sure those two guys could have genuinely hurt her had they felt like it.

I also saw her surrounded by enablers that emboldened her and caused the situation to escalate.

We either have a society with laws and consequences or, we don't.

Chicago, Baltimore and others are examples of places where even the cops have accepted that society does not want either laws or consequences. With predictable results.

15. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

I agree that they probably weren't trying to hurt her and weren't excessive. My question would be were these guys authorized (by law) to use any force against her? Laws vary from state to state and mine is more of a curiosity than a criticism.
    If those persons had not been present, do you believe that she would have continued to resist their efforts?

Lee Elliott likes this.
  16. HonkeyFries

HonkeyFries

That was not an appropriate response for stolen candy or escape for it. If that was my relative those wimps would lose their crappy job, be arrested and charged, be responsible for any medical treatment required, then be very lucky to get no more than a serious *** beating at a random time in the future.

For the CHILD, she should realize the following

A) dont steal
    B) dont dress like a ho
    C) dont dress like a ho and steal

Edit: https://www.wincofoods.com/loss-prevention-stop-july-2017

D) don't put your hands on someone after you dressed like a ho and stole?

17. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

Had her parents done their job, these tenets would have prevented this incident.

18. Sgt127

Sgt127

Don't know. But, I know I've made arrests that were going pretty well until a crowd showed up and the suspect began the "I didn't do nothing, call my momma, they're hurting me." Chant.

And a simple: "hey bud, you got warrants, let's get you down to the jail and take care of this" arrest wound up in a fight and (back in the day) a few others arrested for interfering.

19. Sgt127

Sgt127

A: She did
    B: She does
    C: She did

Without consequences, why should she change?

20. Bruce M

Bruce M

It might be nice thave some video from the start of the event. In landscape mode.

What if the store happens to stand behind what they did because... what they did was allowed by law and the police decided not to arrest them?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017