GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Rational
14,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some pretty wild stuff.

Can any ship-knowledgable people here tell us what it is that they are cranking by hand? It looks like a brake of some sort....?

And how do ship anchors work? I always assumed that they sat on the bottom of the sea-bed to effectively "mount" the ship in place.

Here's another one. Far more spectacular.

This one seems to have stopped at the end:

Apparently, a 1st Lt was trying to show off but almost managed to lose the entire thing. According to the description:

Taken in 2008 aboard the USS George Washington.

I imagine that was worth an ass-chewing or two.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
The hand crank is for a friction brake on the chain wildcat. The name is self explanatory if you watch the video. Dangerous stuff.

Anchors work by digging into the sea bed, but having a long length of chain out does most of the work- usually 5-7 times the water depth, more if weather or bottom composition are poor. That is called "scope." The chain and anchor hold the ship in a general location, but allow it to swing in a circle as tide and wind change.

Reactions: Fred Hansen

·
Rational
14,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hand crank is for a friction brake on the chain wildcat. The name is self explanatory if you watch the video. Dangerous stuff.

Anchors work by digging into the sea bed, but having a long length of chain out does most of the work- usually 5-7 times the water depth, more if weather or bottom composition are poor. That is called "scope." The chain and anchor hold the ship in a general location, but allow it to swing in a circle as tide and wind change.
Thanks for that! Indeed, I've learned something today.

ETA: So when the anchor is lost, does that mean the brake fails, or is the seabed deeper than the length of the chain?

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
You're most welcome.

·
Descent Terminated
33,401 Posts
So with no nautical background, it appears to me that after a certain length of chain, the friction brake overheats, catches fire, and fails ! :wow:
I assume a hydraulic motor hauls the chain up, why can't it be throttled to do the work of retarding it going out. The friction brake can then be redundant clamp up.

Reactions: Jade Falcon

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Many years of boating taught me that Ship Happens whenever you pull out of dock.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
I can't imagine the sound of that in a steel room.

Like listening for problems in a Vulcan gun with a stethoscope.

Reactions: Fred Hansen

·
Watcher.
40,417 Posts
Thought so.'08.

·
Watcher.
40,417 Posts
:tequila:

·
Watcher.
40,417 Posts
Youse bogged yerself into this,not I.'08.

·
Devious Member
40,475 Posts
On a much smaller scale ... I hate it when my anchor gets fouled. I cannot holdmy breath as long as I could when I was a kid ... had to start carrying spare air on the boat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts