Loss of a twenty year friend

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Axmire, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Axmire

Axmire

This morning we had to put our 20 year old cat, Fluff down. His kidneys were failing and he could walk only a few feet before tireing. This morning we found him behind the computer desk ( his favorite spot), he could bairly stand.

We just returned from the vet. This is never an easy thing.

The other two cats are wandering around the house, looking for him, looking at us for some answers, I wish I had some. I wish I could tell them that he is in a better place and that pain and old age are no longer a problem for him, but perhaps they know this.

Goodby my old friend.

2. marley

marley 17-26-32

Those days are never easy days. Sorry for your loss. Patrick

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

We have four kitties. I haven't lost one of them yet...but each one was taken in (rescued) knowing that it would happen someday. It is hard, but to me, loosing my animal at the end, even if I have to make that last trip, is worth all the love, companionship and entertainment I have shared with them. I got my dog, Alf, for Easter when I was eight. He was almost 20 when we put him down. Making that last trip wasn't as hard as deciding to but it was still awful hard. It was my decision on when and just as soon as I come to grips with it, I called the vet to make sure *my* vet was in. I cried, we cried, the vet techs cried...

:hugs:

4. MrsFosforos

MrsFosforos

It is never easy but living 20 years is a testament to the loving care he received! I'm sorry for your loss.

5. goldenlight

goldenlight

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your elderly cat, Fluff.

Life seems very unfair when they are taken from us.

I to have lost two cats to old age; but my Lucky was 16, and Blizzard was 17.

What I would have give to have had 3 or 4 more years with them...

But no matter how long they live, it's just not long enough....:hugs:

6. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

Sorry to hear about the loss.. 20 years wow, you took good care of that kitty.

7. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) When my 15 year old Pit Bull died (The one who saved my life!) the vet said to me; 'Don't cry. You obviously took very good care of him; 15 years is a long lifespan for his breed. He must have been happy.'

Death comes to us, all; it's hard to die; and, sometimes, it's hard to go on living, too. Look at it this way: The Good Lord probably won't judge a cat as sternly as many a man. I'd even dare to say that there's more good fortune and genuine hope available to animals on the, 'other side' than there is for many people.

If you suspect that I'm referring to the spiritual phenomenon of metempsychosis, well - Christian that I, nevertheless, am - yes. You got it! Death, indeed, has a, 'sting'. You may, however, believe when I tell you the both of you will be all right.

You're a better person for having known that animal - Aren't you! ;)

8. Sapperstang

Sapperstang Paratrooper

20 yrs.........wow. I am sure he had a great life because he sure had a good run. Sorry to hear about your friend.

9. EagleOne716

EagleOne716 Guest

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your good friend and companion.
    I have gone through it so many times...and each time makes me cry like a little baby.
    I know it is coming again....just don't want to think about it.
    Rest in the knowledge my friend, that you gave him a rich and wonderful life and I am sure that you will see him again when you cross the Rainbow Bridge.

10. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

Axmire,

My condolences on your loss. 20 years is a long time. The attachment, the connection formed over that time period is difficult to lose.

Best wishes for you and the other 2 cats. At least he had a long, loving life.