Losing the front sight after first shot from ready.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DistantTea, Mar 19, 2005.

1. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

I went through box of blazer yesterday practicing nothing but coming up from ready and getting off that first shot onto the D1 center. I was kind of shocked how much faster I have gotten but when I went to go from ready to two plates I found myself losing the front sight after the first plate.

This isn't something that I had an issue with before, but before I took a really long time to get on target at 11 yards before I begun the practice string. Now my first shot is coming off waaaay faster but then I'm kinda fumbling for that second shot.

I'm not sure if I'm losing the front sight so much as I'm losing it in relationship to the rear sight. I didn't want to spend the entire afternoon on practicing from ready so I didn't dive into it... but anyone know what might be going on?

Is it that I'm not bringing the gun to a stop before the first plate? Without video taping myself I really couldn't tell if thats what I'm doing. Maybe before, being unsure of my aim, I was settling the gun before shooting and now, being sure of that easy shot, I'm firing as the gun is still moving up? I don't know.

2. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I could be wrong but if you're losing your front sight in recoil I'll bet you're watching the plate instead of focusing on your front sight.

My problem is my first shot. I tend to rush it a little bit and it slows down my runs. Once I get going I can usually keep my front sight in focus and I see my front sight lift and the run goes smoothly. Now when I do lose that front sight focus and I don't see my sight lift the run usually goes to hell. This usually happens when I wait to see the plates fall.

Right now I'm working on slowing down the first shot to avoid the miss at the begining.

3. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

Hmmm... that could be. Thats something I tried to break myself of in the beginning but maybe I'm looking at the target again because I'm getting that shot off so fast.

4. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

Got a couple suggestions:

1. Wear double hearing protection (plugs and muffs).

2. Don't wait for the "ring" of the plate being hit. Focus on the front sight only (see the plates..but focus on the front sight) and it's movement straight up or a little to the right and up during recoil.

3. Release the shot and move to the next plate (don't change your focus to see the plate go down), when your front sight is up, in recoil (smooth, not jerky movement), and release the shot again..focusing on the front sight.

I think,..your changing your eye focus, to see where you hit, then trying to refocus on the front sight again, on the next plate. That is where you are loosing your front sight.

Good shooting,

Jay