Losing interest

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by lepoisson, Sep 8, 2015.

1. lepoisson

lepoisson

I'm afraid to admit it, but I have been losing interest in guns over the past few years. I used to have a nice collection of 30-40 rifles and pistols, but I kept selling more and more off. I figured there is no point in keeping a gun around if I don't shoot it at least a few times a year.

Currently, I am down to 5 Glocks, 2 22LR rifles, and a shotgun. I could probably get rid of another Glock or two, but I would miss the 45s. However, I do try to go to the range at least once a month. Sometimes this is difficult as I HATE going on the weekends (due to crowds) and with work I cannot go during the week.

Has this happened to anyone else?

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Yes. I go through phases. After the Galil Aces that are forthcoming end of 2015 early 2016, I might put a halt to
    Gun purchase for a couple of years.

3. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I've gone through this with other hobbies, but so far not with shooting. However, I've toned it back quite a bit from shooting 3-4 times a week.

4. bac1023

bac1023

I've always gone through different phases with the type of guns I buy, but not guns in general.

I shoot more now than I did five years ago, but not nearly as much as I did in my distant past.

5. Chindit

Chindit

Same as any hobby...down to just 1 motorcycle and 1 boat...

It has to do with 'attention focusing'. There are just so many fun things!

FLIPPER 348 likes this.
  6. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

I'm definately selling over half or most of my polymer pistols, all of my 12 gauges and all of my 12 gauge ammo. There are guns I have not fired in a decade. That's just stupid since I will always choose another for plinking, HD and carry. Problem is I have a million other things going on but getting a few thousand towards my new roof makes good sense. Two wheelers, a boat and a truck that are paid off are being sold for home renovations.

7. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I always have a next gun that I want to buy. And I'm reluctant to sell any guns that I already own :)

TX OMFS and ditto1958 like this.
  8. bac1023

bac1023

That's how I feel, though I'd like to turn some of my common guns (mainly revolvers) that I don't shoot or have any attachment to into some very fine pistols.

9. 2@low8

[email protected]

I'd love to be around when THAT garage sale happens!

10. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Just the opposite with me. I just used to shoot Bullseye Pistol. Now, in addition to that, It's IDPA , USPSA, Steel Challenge, ICORE, Cowboy and 3-gun. I generally shoot one of two matches a weekend every weekend. Now that's a lot of guns. :supergrin:

wp

11. bac1023

bac1023

I'm not a huge revolver guy. I love my old 5 screw Smiths, Pythons, Euro revolvers, and some select others, but I've got a few dozen that really do nothing for me.

12. vettes

vettes

I've gone thru that as well but the trouble is, when I've sold a gun that I thought I really didn't need, I have sellers remorse and regret selling. Therefore, I don't sell them anymore. I have traded but only if I am trading up. I am now at the point that I don't have anything I don't want and several that I am still planning on buying. Besides, whatever I have is going to wind up belonging to my son and daughter, both of whom share my interests in hunting and shooting.

13. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

Of course it has. Millions of people lose interest in things they once enjoyed. No biggie, as long as it's not a sign of emotional issues.

TX OMFS likes this.
  14. lifesizepotato

lifesizepotato TatersGonnaTate

I don't think there's anything wrong with whittling the collection down to just the ones you really use or enjoy. Just don't go overboard and sell them all off. Shooting is too much fun to swear off it entirely. :cool:

15. G31

G31 Millennium Member

I still like my guns, still enjoy shooting, but I'm no longer building a collection. I've weeded out a few I no longer use as well. Luckily, I've only sold one, and the rest are still in the family (gifts I've given). I have so much crap in my house, I've scaled back buying in general. My tools alone would put some hardware stores to shame.

16. ditto1958

ditto1958

:agree:

17. railfancwb

railfancwb

Similar situation here except I've sold a few. Some I regret. Some the money went into others. And like most I have had hobby interests come and go.

As the years add on I realize I should reduce my accumulations and simplify things for my children. Maybe I will do that...someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. CajunBass

CajunBass

Yea. I don't have the interest in them I used to. I've cut my collection down to four or five I actually use and really enjoy.

I try to go to the range about once a week. That I still enjoy, but don't have the time to go much more than that.

19. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Nothing wrong with that. A year or so ago I sold about half of my guns and most of my knives. If I don't use it regularly, I don't need it, and can use the space and funds for other things.

20. Bruce M

Bruce M

I can understand electing to getting rid of some guns. My thought though is if one is thinking about getting rid of a gun because it as not been shot in a while, one ought to take that gun to the range along with a gun that is currently shot and enjoyed, just to see what happens.