Losing a good dog tomorrow.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by titan99, Mar 18, 2010.

1. titan99

titan99

We have had our boxer trooper for almost 9 good years now. Growing up I had dogs but none I ever really had for the duration of their life. We got Trooper right before our oldest son was born.

In November he was diagnosed with a tumor on his heart and the vet said he would not make it but at the most 2 months. He has now made it a happy 4 months.

Today when we got home he had thrown up blood. The vet said that would be a sign that we need to put him down. Trooper has been a damn good dog. He follows my son everywhere he goes in the neighborhood, great with kids, alerts us when the least thing happens outside, and just likes to hang out at my feet. My son has had the hardest time with it tonight. He will tell him goodbye in the morning before school for the last time. I built a box to burry him in when we found out he was sick so I would not have to do it when he died.

My wife wants to be with him when the vet puts him down. I understand that, I don't want him to be alone and with strangers when he dies but I don't think I can do it. If you have had to do this did you stay with your dog ?

Pic of Trooper on HIS couch.

[​IMG]

2. happy seal

happy seal

So sorry to hear that. Best wishes! :crying:

3. fireguy129

fireguy129

Im really sorry to hear that. What do you think about keeping your son home tomorrow? Seems almost worse to send him to school with that on his mind.

4. ChapStick

ChapStick

We're getting close....i'm trying to put on a brave face, but i know it will be devastating.

Sorry you have to say goodbye to a family member.

5. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

You can do it. You're probably going to wish you did if you don't, he was there for you.

6. mikeivan

mikeivan

Toughest part of having a dog (or a cat). However, it is our responsibility to end their suffering. Be with him if you can, I could not for my pal. Thanks to my wife.

7. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

my four legs friends are family to us , im sad to hear the news but when they say you will know when time is right you will ,ive experienced it first hand many times , as we have always had pets . i was with each one when the time come except one when i was in hospital , my 19 year old solid white cat named fat cat died. its never easy but you will be together again one day. i lost a very close pet of mine in 06 and still hurts the same today . it hurt the same as when i lost my dad. like i said our pets are family.

prayers to you sir and your family

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Sorry to hear man.. its not easy... and yes, I would and have stayed. I agree w/ the others, I'd rather him know that my face was the last one he seen, rather than a vet, etc..

IGF

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  9. m151m

m151m

I had to do the same with our Lab Guinness last May. It is still hard just to think about it. I'm sorry for you and your family. Both me and my wife were with him at the time. VERY HARD!!! I think you should do the same. RIP

10. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I am soooo sorry Titan. I don't care how many times a person has to go thru this, the first time or the 100th time.....it never....repeat NEVER gets any easier.

Think about the good times with him, great looking dog. And PLEASE think about getting another quickly. I find that always helps with the empty feelings. Seriously. It will help your son too. of course, not to replace your pup, but to compliment him.

I am so sorry. :sad:

11. GSD/G23

GSD/G23

I was there for one one of my Shepherds and one of the Labs. It hurts but somehow later, you'll be glad that you were the last human he saw. I don't know if it means that much to them, but it sure does to us.

12. Zonny

Zonny

Ohhh...:crying: I'm so sorry.

Did you give your son the option of being there too? He may very well want to be and he's not gonna be any good at school tomorrow. Let him stay home and be with you guys one way or another.

13. jkalantzis

jkalantzis

This is one of the hardest things anyone can ever have to do. I know when my dog had to be put down my children had a hard time with it as well. What helped them was we had her cremated and kept the earn in our house so the kids could talk to her when ever they wanted. I know, kind of weird but it helped. As for the Act itself I sat in the vets office for five hours with her before I could let her go. I wish you and your family peace during this difficult time.

14. chevy01234

chevy01234

Prayers sent!

"Rainbow Bridge"

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

15. W420Hunter

W420Hunter

I did once it was hard as ****. I was like 13 an had a boxer pup. From what we could tell the ground hog went for the dogs food. The puppy, just old enough to be outside got to close. When we got there we rushed him to the vet but it was to late. All we could do is put him down. I held his head in my hand till he stoped makeing sound. Looking back at it would have hurt way to more to not have been there, but that's me.

16. firefyter55

firefyter55

Thats horrible to hear. Like losing your kids almost. I wish to God I could have been there when my parents had to put my dog down but I was overseas. I know its tough but I would recommend being with him in his final moments. God knows cryin' dont make you any less a man.

17. greenman19

greenman19

sorry you have to make that decision, i would definately think about taking your son to say goodbye and ease the dogs passing then help with the burial for closure.

18. Trey83

Trey83

I know exactly how you feel. My fiance and I had to put down our 15 year old beagle this past friday due too rapidly progressing cancer that wouldn't respond to treatment. We tried to stay in the room at first but it was just too hard for us. Fortunately her sister was able to be with her throught the entire process. I wish you and your family the best during a hard time. It's definately the hardest part of owning a pet. Her is a picture of my much missed Sadie.
    [​IMG]

19. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

I couldn't go in on one we had to put down, but did on the next one. It's rough either way, but you need to be there. You may not want to be there, but you need to be. My sincere condolences.

20. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

+1. He'll learn more about you and himself than he will that day in school.