Los Angeles Mayor's Proposal - the silver lining

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by bdcochran, Jun 5, 2020.

1. bdcochran

bdcochran

Former undeclared presidential candidate, Mayor Garcetti, has made a proposal to cut the LAPD budget in a range of $150-$250,000,000. Now, I always try to find a silver lining. Here it is, despite my now facing a loss of my own home with this proposal:
    1. in this new brave world, my fellow residents who are liberals/movie stars/entertainment personalities will have their homes and businesses from the Hollywood Hills to Malibu participating in this new experiment. This includes Barbra Striessand who lives in Malibu because there are regional compacts of mutual aid between fire and police departments.
    2. police violence will be greatly reduced. The proposal of the New York community organizer that armed residents be organized to monitor the police will be adopted by all members of the community ranging from gang members to owners of big estates, from the humble day workers of the community to the white collar workers. Gun sales will boom!
    3. as the new saying "we're all in it together" goes, I hope that this moron and his clones on the City Council don't retire and move away. Stay for the fun and games.

2. marchboom

marchboom

Defund the cops? So much for cops working overtime to handle the call load. So much for the LAPD hiring more officers or just hiring officers to replace the officers who are retiring at a rate of approx 30-35 per month. Detectives will be pulled off their tables to work the streets in black & whites. That alone will cause follow-up investigations to drop dramatically.

But let the democRAT politicians have their way and the rest of the country will see the results of their anti-police methods. Sometimes cities have to be sacrificed to prove a point. Looks like L.A. will be the first.

But lets look on the bright side. The reduction of police officers on the street will increase the number of private security companies.

jcm3, CAcop, nursetim and 4 others like this.

3. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Well to tell you the truth I don't care what happens in LA. Let the stupid town take its lumps. Decreased cops = increased crime. Let the citizens of LA receive what they voted for. I expect the murder rate and criminal activity to increase by a factor of 10.

4. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

Let's make this happen.
    Defund police in all major urban areas.
    Give good people time to leave first.
    Place a wall around the cities to keep the riffraff inside.

5. The Viking

The Viking

A huge boon to the 100,000 gang members who inhabit LA. Let the thugs rule. Let the liberals pay Danegeld and squirm.

fxstchewy and Mr Wasabi like this.
  6. The Viking

The Viking

Call Snake Pliessen https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116225/

CAcop, Cambo and Lockback like this.
  7. evlbruce

evlbruce

Understaffed, overworked, and can't get qualified applicants? Let's cut pay too!

These big blue cities are going to slide back into the late 70s / early 80s levels of crime and they'll wonder why.

CAcop, fxstchewy and Timmeh like this.
  8. Timmy bigtime

Timmy bigtime

One should not work in private security especially in liberal city. I could not imagine the state going easy on any security agent doing his/her job to end a threat when they will not back their own law enforcement. Soon law enforcement or any private citizen protecting their lives or property will be seen as the aggressor. Sad times we live in. They need to find a back up career. Many cops will take early retirement or move to deputy position outside cities. Let these morons see the fruit of their choices.

Cambo and ruffhunter like this.
  9. jeepdawg

jeepdawg

I thought the number of zeroes in OP's post was a typo, but the LAPD budget is almost two billion this year. I never would have guessed that.

ruffhunter likes this.
  10. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

If I was LA chief, I would strip all the special detail units, unnecessary admin, information and PR crap units, domestic, mental, crime prevention, DARE, etc. Only leaving the detectives, minimal swat and gang. Then saturate the rest back to patrol. Because thats what they really and will need. Focus on the streets and dont give them a chance. Call out every little thing. No head turning.

My dept has doubled its admin and trying to add a couple more. Patrol has shrunk, when it needed to grow when you are operating a staff level that was set up for 3 decades ago and never updated for massive growth in a head scratcher!

11. BBMW

BBMW

Is any business going to want to be located in an area with insufficient police protection? Probably not.

The alternative will be the rise of more tactically orient armed private security firms, which will essentially become private police forces.

12. jeepdawg

jeepdawg

It's just like other areas where they have burned the only grocery or bank in the hood. Then the press complains about food deserts cause the uncaring corporations (owned and run by whitey) aren't gonna rebuild that Target store.

nursetim likes this.
  13. marchboom

marchboom

The best way to address this situation is to do the opposite. Sure, get rid of DARE, some PR units, etc, but make the cut in the patrol & traffic divisions. Patrol & traffic cops can only handle so many calls for service in 8 hrs and many will go unhandled or with long response times. The public will start to complain and then the officers can tell them that the lack of service was due to the politicians cutting the budget. Then tell them to call city hall and complain to them for that is where the real problem is. The cops should not be made the scape goat for democRAT politicians. Put blame where it belongs. The people voted for those idiot democRAT politicians so now they have to endure the wrath of their policies.

nursetim and sas-G19 like this.
  14. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

I only hope that America sees through the BS and votes against the democrats this election.

Budget cuts are coming regardless of the political reason. It’s a question of how much and what the remaining money is spend on. Job programs? That has never worked and that’s one of the reasons inner city kids get trapped in poverty. And crime will be off the roof.
    I would start to invest in private security companies.

15. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

If they actually do it, this will not end well for them.
    And there will not be a fast recovery when they try to reverse this idiotic decision.

On the upside, civilians can carry because there won't be anyone to enforce their draconian gun laws.

sas-G19 likes this.
  16. Burebista

Burebista Apex Predator

Great idea, senor alcalde Garcetti.
    De-fund the LAPD so after the Wu-flu we're going to have an epidemic of blue-flu.

17. Taz

Taz

Wanna bet those cuts will not include any cuts to his PSD?????

Ironically, the people most impacted by the defund the police are the very same people impacted by criminals today. The ghetto residents struggling to make ends meet and keep their kids on a better path will be at the mercy of the gangs with not even the false hope of LAPD being able to help. HMMMM could we get a huge wave of vigilante justice after folks re fed up? Maybe that is the hope and then the new version of the Brown Shirts can be formed from a spontaneous 1400000 page bill.

18. Terry G

Terry G

Disarm the Police completely. What do they need gun's for? Half of them will quit immediately and you can replace them with gentle, caring people that don't believe in violence of any kind for whatever reason. After a couple weeks don't replace the killed and wounded . This will reduce the payroll even further and you will have money for the give away programs like free lot's of stuff and a big screen TV.

Bish1309 and nursetim like this.
  19. 9XX19mm

9XX19mm

Anyone remember who this clown's father was? Scary.

20. bdcochran

bdcochran

Yes. I know the father. Thought the son was more sensible because he was a reserve officer in the US Navy. Sometimes, our hopes are dashed by reality.