Lopez earns $1 an hour assembling cables; the same work that Wade once did for $30

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by DonGlock26, Feb 19, 2017.

1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

"What happened when factory jobs moved from Warren, Ohio, to Juarez, Mexico

By KATE LINTHICUM | FEB 17, 2017

Money never used to be a problem for Wade, 47, who owned a house with a pool back when he worked at Delphi Automotive, a parts manufacturer that for years was one of the biggest employers in this wooded stretch of northeastern Ohio. But 10 years after taking a buyout as part of Delphi’s ongoing shift of production out of the United States and into Mexico and China, the house and the pool were gone.

Berta Alicia Lopez, 54, is the new face of Delphi. On a recent chilly morning, she woke before sunrise on the outskirts of Juarez, Mexico, and caught an unheated bus that dropped her an hour away at the Delphi plant.

Lopez earns $1 an hour assembling cables and electronics that will eventually be installed into vehicles — the same work that Wade once did for $30 an hour. A farmer’s daughter who grew up in an impoverished stretch of rural Mexico, Lopez is proud to own a used Toyota sedan and a concrete block house.

She frequently thanks God for the work, even if it is in a town troubled by drug violence, even if she doesn’t see many possibilities for earning more or advancing.

The two workers live 1,800 miles and a border apart and have never met. But their stories embody the massive economic shift that has accompanied the rise of free trade.

http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-us-factories-20170217-htmlstory.html "

Fred Hansen likes this.
  2. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

Wade should be happy he milked it as long as he did. $30 an hour for unskilled, manual labor is a pretty good racket.

gamecocks, TX OMFS, Deltic and 4 others like this.

3. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

4. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

And, $1 is a steal for Delphi as long as they can still sell their parts in the US at a high price.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  5. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Wade's Democrat union bosses inflated his wages right out of a career.
    He was never worth $30 per hour.

aircarver, Deltic, F350 and 5 others like this.
  6. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

I agree. I find fault with both extremes.

7. Boot Stomper

Boot Stomper

But that low labor cost is past on to the consumer in the form of new, affordable high quality automobiles. .:innocent:

8. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

LOL!!! If you want to buy American these days, you almost have to by a Japanese
    or German car actually made by Americans in non-union states.

9. fg17

fg17

Hopefully Trump can get some of these jobs back. Wade may not be able to get 30 dollars an hour anymore, maybe he can get 15 an hour and CEOs and the rest of the suits will have to take a pay cut. That way we can make America great again.

People smugly think having a skilled job will protect them, LOL. Trust me, they can import and export skilled labor also.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  10. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Kia as well

Fred Hansen and DonGlock26 like this.
  11. Vodoun da Vinci

Vodoun da Vinci

Most of the CEO's I know will just put a couple million into the pockets of Politicians rather than take pay cuts/higher taxes...it's more cost effective to bribe Politicians into making the Working Man in America work for dirt than to pay living wages to the people who actually make the product by limiting the huge $ going into the CEO and other top brass's pockets.

Working folks better get used to it....there won't be "more jobs" and the jobs Trump (or anyone else) saves or gets returned to America won't pay enough to provide for retirement, buy a house, or provide health care for a family.

VooDoo

12. Wayward Son

Wayward Son

I'd bet their product pricing doesn't reflect the new labor savings.
    How about quality? I know that an aircraft manufacturer sent their wiring production to Mexico but brought it back to the states because of QC issues.

Fred Hansen, happyguy and janice6 like this.
  13. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

The median price for a new car the 'Mercian are willing to pay is $17K. They need lower cost assemblies from elsewhere to keep costs down. My'13 Chevy Sonic is a well built little car.

I liken the exporting of jobs issue to a chicken/egg paradox.

14. Wayward Son

Wayward Son

I would imagine that his living style at $30 an hour in today's $ is roughly the same as it would have been at $7 an hour in the 1970's.
    Don't blame the worker for what he makes, blame the government for raping the value and buying power of the USD.

janice6 and hogship like this.
  15. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Who will buy $40K Ford pick-up trucks with that end game?

16. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I have seen the quality from central and south America, not good.
    One was over priced and one was under trained/skilled.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  17. MadeInAmerica

MadeInAmerica

Let's all hate Wade for being unskilled making $30 an hour.

Some positives: Globalization. Rich got Richer. Mexico got more jobs.

Some negatives: Auto prices went up. Wade and his family are on the dole. Failed trade polices is why we have Obama Care. Wade and his family are now life long Democrats. Shrinking middle class. 0% inflation. Higher crime.

When your children and grand children work at Walmart as a career I bet you'll be singing a different tune.

Republicans and Democrats can be blamed for this.

Fred Hansen and Boot Stomper like this.
  18. 4Rules

4Rules

Ross Perot had it right.

Fred Hansen and Boot Stomper like this.
  19. MadeInAmerica

MadeInAmerica

Middle class Americans that voted for Bush or Clinton were idiots. While watching the 1992 debate I could clearly see Bill Clinton had LIAR written across is forehead. Bush had ******* written across his.

Free Trade = No Middle Class = Obama Care = More Democrats = No Guns = Higher Crime = Higher Taxes = More Single Parent Families.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  20. Pythonman

Pythonman

Who really gives a damn what "Wade" makes? This whole wage envy, union bashing thing makes me laugh. If you enjoy working for a dangerous industrial manufacturing plant for $2.00 an hour more than the guy who works for Sears then don't ***** you cant afford a new house or that you cant move out of mom and dads basement into a property you own.