Loose M&P Sear Block?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by NDAV8R, Apr 8, 2010.

1. NDAV8R

NDAV8R

Fastbolt, would like to get your opinion on this please (and all others welcome to chime in too!):

Posted a few weeks ago in the mp-pistol forum about my 9c slide getting 'stuck' during reassembly; at the time, I assumed that the cause was perhaps that the sear release lever wasn't down during slide reassembly. Shot just fine afterwards.

Complex to try to describe today's problem, but here goes:

Went to clean it today, and the slide 'stuck' both during disassembly and reassembly, about 15-20% off what would be its in battery position. Sear and takedown levers were in the correct positions. Basically, to fix things, I had to press on the front third of the slide, and when it was pushed down, the slide came on and off just fine. When I did it during reassembly, there was sort of a click up front when I pushed the slide down; a very small ding was left in the dust cover edge (which might be coincidental). Recoil spring was properly aligned.

I noticed when it was apart that, if I pull slightly on the ejector, it seems that there is some play in the rear end; the sear block and rails seem to move and so do the external safety levers- not much, just a little. Push on ejector and it reverses.

I don't have this problem on my 40FS. I know I am disassembling/reassembling properly. It probably isn't related, since this 9c has shot well since, but this is the same frame that was dropped on concrete during cleaning way back when.

Thoughts? Might there be some play that is causing the slide to hang and need that push in the front to come on and off? Won't be able to take it to the range for a week or two to test.

Thanks! <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_251486-->

2. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

Check to see if all the roll pins are in there. There should be one holding the sear block in place. and one above the trigger.

3. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

My 9c is difficult to take down too...but don't know why.

Goes back together a little easier, but not as easy as my other pistols.

Functions just fine...but a little bothersome to take down.

Sometimes I'll use the sear block lever, sometimes I'll just pull the trigger.

-J-

4. NDAV8R

NDAV8R

I checked the 2 roll pins that I can see externally, they are both there and look to be OK.

Any further thoughts anyone? MY 40FS sear block is much tighter; just got a 45FS so have not checked it yet, but assume it will also be tighter.

I mostly need to know if this 9c should go back to S&W, and especially if it might be unsafe to shoot is as is.

thanks.