close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Loose internet connection to 1 of 2 computers after inactivity

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Ragin Cajun, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

Help!

Have a DSL connection with a router to my computers.

One, the old one, stays connected to the internet.

The new computer drops the interconnection to the internet after what appears to be a period of inactivity.

For example, it worked fine last night. I "lock" the computer as I do the other one and go to bed.

Today, one computer is still connected, but the new one is not. I have to reboot to get back on the internet.

It's as if there is some obscure setting that locks it out after X hours of inactivity. Just don't know.

Any suggestions??

THANKS ahead of time.

RC

2. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

It is a good chance it is the XP firewall, disable it and go on with life. Your router may have better protection. I also use ZoneAlarm's Internet Security Suite and have found it works well. It has Anti-Viri, Anti-Spam/malware/spyware/adware and firewall and like it. The firewall can be a little agressive and time consuming to set up at first but it is very customizeable and effective for both inbound and outbound traffic. The Anti-viri, spy, mal and addware protection is very good and updates automatically.

Microsoft's firewall only protects against inbound issues and if you are infected by an email the firewall won't stop outbound spyware and malware from stealing your personal data.

Netgear.com

3. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

Both computers are using XP's firewall so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I do use the free versions of Zone Alarm and AGV.

OOPS,

I am NOT using XP's firewall on the computer that's dropping out, it must be Zone Alarm. Humm. Now what could Zone Alarm be doing?

4. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

Wow, great stuff. Tried part of it and will see tomorrow morning if it works.

One other problem related to the solution. When I type in "ipconfig /all" it's window just flashes and goes away. It does this on both my computers. Is there a secret here, too?

Thanks,

R

5. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

I don't use XP myself, I belive you can try opening a command prompt for the program list under accessories, type IPconfig/all there.

6. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

Thanks.

I went to "run" and typed in "command" and got what I needed. Whew. Now to see in the morning if it all works!

Thanks to all. This forum is a lifesaver! I run a one man engineering consulting business and while I am above average is computer skills, messing with computers is not where the income comes from. For me, the computer is basically a tool.

RC

7. Toyman

Toyman

With XP, you don't need to run IPconfig or Reboot.

You can either right click on the connection icon in the system tray (if it's there) and select "Repair", or Go to the control panel -> Network Connections, right click on "Local Area Connection" (or whatever the connection is called) and select "Repair".

8. Toyman

Toyman

Also, check the Properties on the network adapter.

Right Click on the connection in the Network Connections section of Control panel, select Properties.

In the "Local Area Connection Properties" dialog there will be a "Configure..." button. Click that.

In the Properties dialog for the network card, There should be a "Power Management" tab. You might try unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

9. chbix

chbix

It might also be settings with in the router. Check that. I know with my DSL I had to "Dial" every time i connected to the internet. So when i got my router I set it to dial from the router instead of the computer, then I left the connect time to 0 which for my router ment it always stayed on and wouldnt time out.

If the solutions you already are trying dont work. i would shut down both computers, and the router, switch the ports and see if the problem is related to the port as well. that would verify that its somethign in the router settins.

10. 87vert

87vert

its possibly it is a problem with the powersaver turning off the Network card and the card not coming back on, you can check the powersaver settings under the Control panel > power

Try turning them all off for the night and see what happens.

11. Delta

Delta ThExtremeMember

That is the right answer... the network card is being turned off by XP

12. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

Regarding Power management:

Hibernate is OFF

Power button is set to "Shutdown."

Turn off Monitor is "30 min"

Turn off hard disks is "30 min"

System standby is "never."

Didn't see anything else that applied.

I Also did the ZoneAlarm thing and checked 'allow outgoing DHCP/DNS'.

I "Locked" the computer last night at 2200 EST. I will unlock when I get home from work around 1730 and see if I can get on the 'net.

I still can't get the two computers to "see" each other, but that may be another issue. The old computer seems to see but the new one doesn't.

Go ahead and hit my thumb again, it feels SOOOOOOoooooo good!

RC

13. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

Well, at 1715 today it was still working and connected to the internet. That's over 19 hours, longer than ever.

Thanks

RC