close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looks Like I'm Going to Send my PPK Back

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Andrewsky, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

I bought a new Smith and Wesson made PPK .380 earlier in the week. About every 8 double action trigger pulls I get a failure to fire.

[​IMG]

I think the problem is that the hammer rubs against the slide on the left side. Look how worn the hammer is. On the right side there is a gap between the hammer and the slide.

[​IMG]

This is pretty poor quality control. I am disappointed. Nothing sucks more than pulling the trigger on a live round and hearing a "click" instead of a "bang." Do you guys think they'll replace the hammer?

I'm not even going to mention that I'm having failures to feed about once every twenty shots. I think once it breaks in those will stop.

2. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I hope they get it fixed right for you.

3. NAS T MAG

NAS T MAG

4. CBennett

CBennett

how can this be...I have on good authority from this board that the ONLY guns that stuff like this happens to is Taurus....

5. bac1023

bac1023

Sorry to hear.

Hopefully, they fix it right for you.

6. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

See if you can trade if for a PPS without taking too bad of a bath financially. The Walther PPS is a much better pistol in a more powerful cartridge (9mm or .40 S&W).

Problem with the PPK is that once you get past the no-bang problem, you then get to deal with the jamming and hand shredding nature of the PPK.

Friends don't let friends buy PPKs.

This is what people are saying about the PPS. It agrees with my experience with the PPS.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1188388

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  7. cciman

cciman

The PPK is a POS IMHO. The only place it had ever had value was in the 007 legend. Its a pretty gun, but a pretty POS is all it is.

I made the mistake of buying one back in the late 80's, regretted it, and it has not changed.

There's much better to be had out there. Look at Kahr's and Glocks, if you want one in the same size with much better balistics. Good luck.

8. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

You need to experience a German made PPK or PPK/s. I have a pre-war PPK that some dope refinished and turned into a shooter. It's in .32. It's impressive as far as accuracy goes and has not malfunctioned in the 500 or so rounds since I had it. In the early 1990's, my father bought an Interarms PPK/s. It jammed nearly every magazine. Razor sharp edges were left all over the gun. He expressed a desire to be rid of it so I took it off his hands for basically what he paid for it.

Then I set to work. Bought a case of .380 ammo. I knew he has fired less than 200 rounds through it before becoming discouraged and also I had heard that these guns need a thorough break-in. It smoothed out somewhere around a half case. I gave the sides of it a mirror finish by polishing with Mother's by hand. Didn't really do anything about the sharp edges. Eventually, he wanted it back and we did some horse-trading (he had a G21 and just so happened that I didn't).

They're ok, but you've got to be ready to work with them and this platform really was originally designed for the .32. I have a feeling that it will always excel in that caliber. Far as SD guns goes, there are far superior choices of course, but some people like the classic lines of these little Walthers.

As for the OPs gun, that hammer is probably the culprit. The friction is robbing the hammer of much needed velocity. I'd left S&W do it to preserve the warranty, but shaving just a bit off that hammer and refinishing would probably fix the problem. Of course, they'll probably just switch the hammer out for a new one.

9. cciman

cciman

That was my experience. Interarms SS Walther PPK, Sharp steak knife edges.

I would bleed every time that gun went off--luckily it failed most of the time. I gave it a good try in 5 years, with good break in-- I finally went to 9mm... I stand by my assessment: 380 POS.

In today's level of quality guns (G26), you don't need that amount of "working it", nor understanding the platform. You need a gun that goes bang until the mag is empty.

Good luck. My advice sell it to someone who doesn't know any better- and really wants one, which is what I did :wavey:

10. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I haven't put more that 200 rounds through my PPK/S, and I bought it specifically because it was made in the town where I grew up. (and to shoot up some .380s that have been sitting in my ammo boxes since I stupidly traded away my Pocket-Lite about 14 years ago.:upeyes:)

Thus far only problem has been one failure to feed with some old Winchester SilverTip hollow points on about the 2nd magazine through the pistol. It's got a recall SN, but haven't had the time to send it in yet, so it's been sitting in the safe.

[​IMG]

Hope S&W takes care of you, and since I grew up in the little town of Houlton, I'm a little ashamed of any quality issues that may come out of the S&W plant there.

11. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

That's a shame. Mine has been total crap reliability-wise the minute I got mine (and mine is an older German).

I really wish S&W could get the whole PPK/PPK/S problem fixed. The fit and finish of mine is really quite nice, and I'm still a big fan of S&W in general. I still think the PPK is a neat pistol, and I would love to use it as a CCW. The only fly in the ointment is the reliability. Why can't S&W just get this done? There's so much going for it.

12. jnewguyin

jnewguyin

This thread makes me worry about my dad's ppk/s which he carries for when he works at his convenience store.

13. SouthpawShootr

Has he tested it for reliability? If not, hell yeah, I would worry. If it runs fine at the range with the load that he carries in it, I wouldn't stress it. I don't carry my Walther, but I do occasionally take my carry gun to the range and fire it without any cleaning, changing out ammo, lubricating it and so forth. As it would come from the holster if I had to use it, IOW. This practice serves a couple of purposes. First, you really need to change out duty ammo once in a while. I won't let it go more than a year (a standard local LEOs tell me works well for them). Most often, sooner than that. Also, if there's something happening in your holster that can affect the reliability of the gun, this will highlight the problem fairly quickly.

14. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

15. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

Here's a colorful post from my thread on Walther Forums:

It is inconceivable that this gun is going to fix itself by "breaking in".

If the hammer is hanging up on the slide it could be due to any one or more of a wide variety of manufacturing FUs, including a hammer pin hole that is not perpendicular, or slide or frame rails that were not axially machined vertically or horizontally in line with each other, etc., etc. etc.

The off-center firing pin hit suggests an oversize chamber, or the above misalignment of the slide on the frame, or a firing pin hole that is not drilled straight, or a slide face counterbore that is mislocated, etc.,etc.,etc.

This gun is another candidate, IMO, for the sledgehammer treatment.

16. SouthpawShootr

A bit over-reactive. It's possible the part will wear in and the rubbing will eventually stop. But it is abnormal and should be addressed. It could cause abnormal wear on major parts (slide/frame) as well. You didn't mention you were getting off-center firing pin hits. The can sometimes be within tolerances, depending upon how off-center the impacts are.

17. SouthpawShootr

Yes, it is. Their mags are terribly over-priced.

18. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

As you can see in this group shot, I have both the Walther PPK and the PPS 40. I've been pleased with the reliability and accuracy of both.

[​IMG]

19. hhb

hhb

See if you can find extra magazines for the PPS before buying one!

20. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

Yeah, the hits are a bit off. I'm not too concerned about them, as they are closer to the center than they are closer to the rim.

It fails to fire repeatedly on double action, so I'll send it in for that reason alone.