close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looks like DeKalb County GA can't train properly...

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by GeorgeAtl, Jan 25, 2010.

1. GeorgeAtl

GeorgeAtl

Nice Grip. Jeez.

[​IMG]
    Master Officer Stanley Kyles qualifies at the Lithonia shooting range, where DeKalb police officers undergo their annual. They are currently issued 9mm Berettas, but hope to get new .40- caliber weapons soon.

2. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

I assume you are talking about the "finger forward" part of the grip? That is a method that used to be quite popular, and was (and still is) used by some of the top shooters from a couple of decades back.

3. ducati

ducati

Maybe he is talking about the shooting glasses :whistling:

4. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Yep, so popular in fact it is the origin of the squared or hooked trigger guards on so many pistols even today.

5. chuckman

chuckman

Other than needing to have his nails trimmed I see nothing really wrong with this pic. Am I missing something?

6. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

That is a "coke" nail on the pinkie.

:rofl::rofl:

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Those transition lens and wolly cap are killer too. I assume it must have been an icy 58 degrees that day :).

8. PhoneCop

PhoneCop TeleDetective

I'm with these guys. Several GMs shot and won with the support hand finger around the front of the trigger guard. I am uncertain it deserves to be mocked.

9. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Now about the hooked trigger guards.

Many of my carry capable handguns do have hooked guards. And people like Dalton and Fowler who did use them quite well (and I suspect their success is what cursed us with them on so many handguns today.. yet no one uses them!)

The problem is, unless one is very very good with placing that index finger on the guard you tend to put uneven pressure from shot to shot and thus the groups become quite large. Just takes a bit of pressure from side to side or the finger not in the exact same place to make those bullets wander up and down and right and left to the consternation of the shooter.

And that is why the index finger on the guard has fallen out of favor. That and the discovery of good ways to wrap around the grip and get consistent holds while managing the recoil.

Deaf

10. Sharkey

Sharkey

We would show what we thought was the preferred grip but if you shot ok with a finger grip on the trigger guard we wouldn't complain. Trust me, we had bigger problems than that.

11. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A lot of Academies teach you to shoot the way that is most comfortable for you. And, if you can consistently qualify using this method then why is it to be mocked?

It's not my style, but who am I to criticize.

and the "coke nail" comment... :rofl:

12. Forty-eight

Forty-eight

I lived in DeKalb County (Dunwoody) from 1966 until 1993, and I have nothing but good things to say about the county police force. They have not been perfect through the years, but they certainly made DeKalb County a relatively safe place to live.

13. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

So where does the OP offer training classes? Credentials? etc??
    As said so many folks did this that many current guns have a "rest" for your finger.
    Odds are this Officer shot better then most here. Now when they are doing really stupid stuff. (gun aimed at the Officer infront of them, being only person in room qualified to have a Glock 40, etc)

14. Gallium

Gallium CLM

15. GeorgeAtl

GeorgeAtl

My response??

EXCUSE THE HELL OUT OF ME!!

Sorry that all you experts have called me out on this. I'm really sorry that I've only been shooting for 10 years, and that I've NEVER SEEN that "finger around the front of the trigger guard" grip done.

EXCUSE THE HELL OUT OF ME!!

16. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Don't get bent out of shape bud. Just a little teasing from some folks. With as many posts as you've acquired I'm sure you've noticed this can be a trend here on GT. Let it ride...

I appreciate you posting a picture, I've seen it a few times, and have always thought it was a goofy grip but I've always been told "to each his own" and have seen many with grips I thought were inferior who shot a LOT better than I.

17. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

Don't get too excited, it's not just you. Lot's of folks have a very limited knowledge or understanding of the history behind gunhandling, tactical training, etc. That is one of the biggest problems in discussing guns and gunfighting, IMO, and leads to many people making comments that are inaccurate or misleading.

18. fastbolt

fastbolt

Yep, there's no reason to get all wrapped up around the axle about that sort of pistol grip technique, or not having been involved in handgunning long enough to have come across it. Lots of things that can fall within that realm. You can probably expect to keep learning things that you didn't previously know for the rest of your gun-handling life. ;)

While it's a hold-over from back around the 70's (and some folks might like to argue the time line when it comes to the most general usage), the addition of a hooked corner on the trigger guard has remained with us for some time. It was considered a questionable 'trend' back then, but some shooters actually seemed to do quite well with it.

S&W finally got around to dropping it from their 3rd gen guns just about the middle 90's, but some European-based manufacturers have stayed with it.

As has been mentioned, though, it can add an additional hand contact point from which to exert undesirable (albeit unintentional) leverage on the gun if performed incorrectly. I imagine it might also be possible for some folks to experience a bit of hand confusion when trying to exert a different type/level of tension when using both index fingers while shooting, too. Well, that's what proper training and adherence to good safety practices are for, right?

Whenever I had someone come through a qual session, especially an older shooter who had obviously spent the better part of their career using that hooked trigger guard technique - (and for whom it had become firmly ingrained) - as long as it didn't cause them a problem I didn't try to "fix it". ;) If they could controllably and accurately put holes where they wanted them to go, as fast as they needed to put them there, and do so under the variable shooting situations which were often created for subsequent qual sessions ... why fix it? Unless they wanted to change, of course.

Not something I taught to new shooters, though.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  19. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Whenever I had someone come through a qual session, especially an older shooter who had obviously spent the better part of their career using that hooked trigger guard technique - (and for whom it had become firmly ingrained) - as long as it didn't cause

Get outta my brain, sir! :)

I follow those same guidelines.

'Drew

20. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Don't let your BP get so high. If you know who Jeff Cooper was we can forgive you. :) :)