Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently carry a P365 almost exclusively. It has been a fantastic pistol; great shooting, accurate, easy to carry. I have high confidence in its reliability with any carry ammo, and in my ability to use it.

The only times I don't carry it are when I'm walking on the trails in the woods behind my home, which I'm doing a bit more lately since I'm working from home. On these walks I bring the G21 Gen 4, another pistol in which I have the utmost confidence. The G21 is also my primary HD pistol.

I had been thinking of getting a Hellcat to add to the rotation with the P365 and as a secondary CCW in case anything happened to my primary. Similar size, but just something different. Capacity differences don't matter since I'm limited to 10 rounds anyway.

But my woods walks recently have me re-thinking things a bit. I was never concerned about printing with the G21 before, but now I am, due to the increased likelihood of encountering other folks out for a stroll these days. So I was thinking of getting something slightly shorter, like a G30 Gen 4, for my strolls in the woods. It would also be a secondary HD pistol. I could also get a 10mm conversion for both the 21 and the 30.

So what do you think: Hellcat as a secondary CCW to the P365, or G30 Gen 4 for woods CCW/secondary HD? (Hint: Leaning towards the G30...)

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
I don't think you should worry about printing, especially if you are lawfully carrying. No will will ever notice, because people just don't pay attention.

But the real answer is to just get what you want without trying to justify it. You want a G30, so get one.

I love my Hellcat, and its on part with the P365 in every respect (plus one round in the mag), but just get the gun that makes your leg tingle the most. Sounds like that's the G30.

·
Premium Member
6,420 Posts
I take it your State isn't Open Carry? If it is carry what you want. If I was carrying 14 shot hellcat I wouldn't worry about a about one guy and his Dog.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I say go for the G30,as you already know you like your 21. As a plus, your 21 mags will work with your new G30.

Plus I’m a little biased because I’ve been trying to decide between a G30 and a G36.

·
19,034 Posts
I currently carry a P365 almost exclusively. It has been a fantastic pistol; great shooting, accurate, easy to carry. I have high confidence in its reliability with any carry ammo, and in my ability to use it.

The only times I don't carry it are when I'm walking on the trails in the woods behind my home, which I'm doing a bit more lately since I'm working from home. On these walks I bring the G21 Gen 4, another pistol in which I have the utmost confidence. The G21 is also my primary HD pistol.

I had been thinking of getting a Hellcat to add to the rotation with the P365 and as a secondary CCW in case anything happened to my primary. Similar size, but just something different. Capacity differences don't matter since I'm limited to 10 rounds anyway.

But my woods walks recently have me re-thinking things a bit. I was never concerned about printing with the G21 before, but now I am, due to the increased likelihood of encountering other folks out for a stroll these days. So I was thinking of getting something slightly shorter, like a G30 Gen 4, for my strolls in the woods. It would also be a secondary HD pistol. I could also get a 10mm conversion for both the 21 and the 30.

So what do you think: Hellcat as a secondary CCW to the P365, or G30 Gen 4 for woods CCW/secondary HD? (Hint: Leaning towards the G30...)
For concealed carry in a caliber suitable for woods carry a G30s is more comfortably and discreetly concealable than a G30 but even more concealable is a G27 in 40 or a G33 in 357 Sig

But if you were to get a G30 or G30SF I'd forget about conversion barrels in 10mm if I were you and the same thing for your G21. They can have extraction problems and can't be counted on to be 100 percent reliable unless you use a complete G29 barrel, slide and extractor.

That will cost you a little more money but you'll have 100 percent reliability.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
The G30 covers both jobs.

It will give you a more concealed hiking gun and it can be a backup if your P365 goes down. It's no micro 9 in size, true, but with the 9 rnd mag in the gun it actually carries moderately well. Keep the 13 round mag from your G21 in your pocket for a reload.

My G30S has been both a carry gun and a home defense pistol, although, my P365 has been carried more often.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you already have a Sig 365, then you have the small 9mm base covered.

The Hellcat is pretty similar. Doesn't add that much.

But a G30 is a step up in power, size, more powerful cartridge, etc.

So sounds like a G30 is a better choice.

·
Floyd
3,569 Posts
How ‘bout one of them big bore wheel guns?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Well... I do have a 3" SP101 in .357, but without getting into capacity discussions I'm just more comfortable with carrying a semiauto.
Huh. In my mind that 3" SP101 is close to the perfect gun for concealed carry during outdoor activity. Any chance you could practice and increase your confidence with it, rather than buying a new semi-auto?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Huh. In my mind that 3" SP101 is close to the perfect gun for concealed carry during outdoor activity. Any chance you could practice and increase your confidence with it, rather than buying a new semi-auto?
I've tried for a long time to like wheel guns, and while the SP is my favorite and great for what it is, it needs a bit of work to make it suitable for me to carry. Revolvers just aren't my thing, it's personal preference.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
uncledave Do you live in grizzly country ?? If you do carry a 12ga slug gun or a 4 to 5" 44mag revolver filled with at least 300gr hard cast bullet. You do NOT have to like a revolver to be proficient with it so whats so hard to make it suitable ? At least tell us of your concerns about revolvers . I wear a revolver in a cross chest rig for hunting .

Instead of some interest in a same size hell cat pistol as the carry now why not by a larger P365XL and a couple extra 15 round mags filled with 147gr , something comfortable in a iwb or owb for "woods carry " or daily carry . But not as a back up to a gluck 40sw . That's what spare mags are for so practice mag swaps and tap rap bang drills . If you need a back up do you carry one every other time you conceal carry now . The woods are not really more dangerous that the city streets just different .

Check this comparison in the link below and rethink why you really want a heck kitty pistol - https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/springfield-hellcat-micro-compact-vs-sig-sauer-p365

The only thing in the woods to really worry about or bad people BIG Bear and sick animals not normal healthy animals even black bears unless your a runner or mountain biker and you run up on a big cat or bear !! By then your all ready a human chew toy .

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,215 Posts
So the OP would like to carry something a bit smaller than his G21 because he doesn’t want to print...so you tell him to carry a shotgun while out for a nature walk? Pretty sure if he doesn’t want to carry a G21 then a 44mag in a chest rig is probably the wrong suggestion as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts