Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to shoot the June match in Holt. It will be my first match and I’ll be in amateur stock. I’ve looked and can’t find much info on gear. What holsters,mag holders and such are recommended. How much ammo per match. I also see it’s two day event so will all groups shoot both days ? Appreciate any help. It’s a six hour drive and I’d like to have everything

·
Banned
548 Posts
Not sure which match or association you’re referring to but the first place you should go is the rules section of your asssn. It’ll have rules on equipment not just participation. Places like Practiscore have events posted with info. You can try to call the match director to ask how much ammo the stages will require or ask another senior participant

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m searching for answers here. When we get new anglers on the kayak forums looking to fish tournaments we usually help. I figured the same would apply here. Appreciate it

·
Registered
63 Posts
Holsters and mag holders are optional/not recommended. All shooting is from a low ready and holstered weapons must be opened and locked back. Its just more gear to have to tote around. Some ranges require the guns to be bagged.

Minimum amount of rounds is 100 per entry. I carry 150 per entry to get some practice in before shooting. You'll want to have enough ammo to reshoot a stage in case of a malfunction.

If you don't like loading during a match you'll need 10 mags. Otherwise you can get by with a minimum of 4 mags. 4 mags is the minimum needed for the plates. All other stages require 3 mags.

You'll shoot one day or both days, its up to you. Each day is open to all shooters. If you have multiple entries you could shoot some one day and come back the next day and shoot the others or all at once.

I'd highly recommend reading the new shooters briefing and the rule book. It will help answer many questions that you will have.
http://www.gssfonline.com/pdf/forms/new_comp_brief.pdf
http://www.gssfonline.com/glockrpt/GSSF_Current_Rules.pdf

When at the match feel free to ask questions if you have any doubt the RO's, volunteers, Glock staff are always helpful and glad to help.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Tom, no holster required, just bag it. No mag holders, bag it. All stages start at low ready, no draw. If you are only shooting amateur stock, one event, can do it in a couple hours. Round count is around 100. I would bring 150 in case you need a reshoot.

You can holster and have mag holders but up to the range for carry condition, etc.

I use 5 mags, 2 stages require 3, one 4. You do not do any action reloads. For example, shooting a G17, load 10 rounds per mag, the max allowed, but I do a Barney load so I have 11. one stage is 2 shots on each of 5 targets, one is 2 shots on each of 4 targets and one steel, last is a plate rack, 6 targets. If I tried 11 in a mag I would confuse my old brain!

http://www.gssfonline.com/glockrpt/Current_GSSF_Rules.pdf

I have a fishing kayak, but only out once on a shakedown.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,514 Posts
I’m searching for answers here. When we get new anglers on the kayak forums looking to fish tournaments we usually help. I figured the same would apply here. Appreciate it
You came to the right place to ask - perhaps the BEST place on the webz to ask. :D

The rules are always a great place to start and can be found here:
http://gssfonline.com/

In GSSF there isn't much "gear" to speak of as there is no drawing from a holster on the clock and no movement on the clock. Stick around, and folks should soon chime in with a ton more info.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Don’t forget to sign up as a first timer for a random pistol. If you like the match after you complete it, its never a bad thing to go and sign up for a different one. Every match you enter as long as the required number of competitors also signs up, gives you a chance at another random pistol as well as your chance of winning one on skill.

...Ron

·
NRA Life Member
66,447 Posts
I’m looking to shoot the June match in Holt. It will be my first match and I’ll be in amateur stock. I’ve looked and can’t find much info on gear. What holsters,mag holders and such are recommended. How much ammo per match. I also see it’s two day event so will all groups shoot both days ? Appreciate any help. It’s a six hour drive and I’d like to have everything
Last time I shot a GSSF match, it was designed to be shot with nothing but what comes in the box with a new Glock + ammo. However, it is much, much better to have at least 4 magazines and it's easier to carry your stuff in a range bag than a Glock box.

·
Registered
10,103 Posts
5 mags one a barney (used to put 1 in chamber-then insert one of the rest that have 10 rounds each)
if you don't empty the mag it keeps you from exceeding the 11 limit. if you have one in chamber from last mag just insert another 10 with new mag.

you shoot 3 times at each station except the plates which is 4 times

take your time! shoot fast and miss adds to your score -lower is much better.

watch the rest of the shooters see what works. with some exceptions the plate rack slower leaves fewer plates standing.

there are a FEW!! shooters that clear a plate rack in less than 3 seconds
there are many MORE that can empty a mag in 3 seconds and leave 4 plates standing.

Know, this may be your first match but not your last.

Welcome

Reactions: sixgun2 and PM720

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Not mentioned so far:

The stupidest thing I did at my first match was only register for ONE division.

You are going to drive 6 hours. Do every division you can. Also, each additional entry is an additional chance to win random drawings. As well, you can use an entry as a shake down to get a feel for the course of fire. I HIGHLY recommend you shoot MASTER STOCK first. You are obviously are going to get your butt kicked, so why not shake the cob webs out in that Division.

Once you register make a b-line to each stage and sign in at the sign in book. Do this for each and every stage. This was another IDIOT thing I didn't do correctly my first match.

After you have signed in at each of the three stages then go back to the one you want to shoot first. Place an X to your name and the RO's running the stage will call the folks up with X's next to their name in the ORDER THEY ORIGINALLY SIGNED IN.

I don't know if you are going to shoot 1 division or 8 divisions. But have 4 magazines loaded for each of the divisions you are going to shoot at the line.

So if you have a G17 and plan to shoot the 4 divisions its OK for back to back on one stage, then you better come to the line with 12-16 magazines.

How my day starts
1) I pre register via e-mail
2) I get in the pre registration line, and sign in
3) Once signed in I make a b-line to the stages and sign the check in register ASAP.
4) I then mosey casually to my car and get my gear. All my magazines are loaded from the night prior so I can knock out the first stage without having to load magazines.
5) I shoot 7 divisions. 3 of them share a G17, and 2 of them share a G30. I do NOT have enough magazines to shoot all of them back to back in a single stage for any single pistol (i.e. 8-G17 mags for example). So I MIX my calibers and shoot 2-9mm's and 2-45ACP, and the Pocket being my wild card because it doesn't share magazines.
6) I only shoot 3 or 4 divisions at any given time. I don't do all 7 back to back (even if they would let me), and manage my fatigue.
7) Once I decided on my shooting order of which 3 or 4 I started the day with I will continue to shoot the other stages with them until I have finished COMPLETED scores.
8) Then I take a break/lunch. At this point I will have 3-4 completed divisions, and I'm in a position to decide to come back the next day, or continue to punish myself. Either way, I've completed 3-4 divisions with my most rested state, and the remaining of the day will probably not see my best shooting.
9) Then I go home, tally up my scores and compare them against last year's numbers or the history of said match to see where I can hope to fall, and click refresh a million times on the GSSF score page starting Sunday night.
10) If I didn't win a gun based on performance then I eagerly wait out a month or so for FINAL results to be posted with the random drawing results to see if I won anything as well.

That's basically how it all plays out

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Register for as many division as you're legal to shoot. Shooting only one division per match limits your experience. You can sign up for more and get at least 4 matches worth of experience in one day.
Besides Am Civ you can at a minimum shoot:
Competition
Master Stock
Unlimited

Reactions: PM720

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
For GSSF, you don't need any holster. (They actually encourage people to bring an unloaded-and-bagged pistol to the line. When you join GSSF, the first thing they'll send you is a 'Glock' pistol bag for that purpose.) There will be a table at each stage on which you can place your pistol bag and magazine carrier.

If you do wish to use a holster, GSSF requires that the slide be locked to the rear (continuously, while the pistol is in the holster).

·
20,418 Posts
Your First GSSF Outdoor Match, by Danny Ryan

Equipment: Stock pistol, 150 rounds of ammo per entry. While you can shoot with just 2 magazines, 4 are nicer.

Accessories: bug spray, sun screen, hand towel, water, lightweight folding chair, hand cleaner, gear for any weather, money, baseball cap, pen, ear and eye protection (even for spectators).

Procedure: as soon as you receive your registration labels, go to each stage and sign in on the entry sheet. Then go back to the 5 To Glock stage, check off your name and await your turn, and shoot it first, followed by the Glock M and finishing on the Plates. If there is a practice plate rack, take advantage of it.

Stages:

5 To Glock: there are five cardboard targets, normally at 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 yards. You fire two shots per target, 10 shots total. You shoot three strings of fire for a total of 30 rounds.

Glock M: here there are four cardboard targets and one to three metal poppers. You shoot 2 shots per cardboard, leaving up to 3 shots to hit one popper. You shoot three strings of fire.

The Plates: you have 11 rounds to knock down six 8in plates at 11 yards. You do this four times. Steel left standing is 10 points penalty per plate. Don't rush

Scoring:

Your score for each stage is the sum of the times for your strings of fire plus any penalty points. Don't rush because misses are 10 point penalty each. Shots in the 8in circle are zero penalty points. Shots in the 12in circle are 1 penalty point. Shots outside the 12in but still on the cardboard are 3 points penalty. You only have 6 shots at 25 yards, so slow down and get good hits. Engage your targets as they enter your line of sight, either moving right to left or left to right. Do not zig-zag between targets as that takes more precious time.

You will be shooting with Masters, but not against Masters. They are very fast and very accurate. Don't try to shoot as fast as they do.

Tell the Range Officer at each stage that this is your first match. They are always helpful.

Often there are food and merchandise vendors, but bring a snack just in case. Plan to be there four hours. Make friends and have fun. Preliminary results are usually posted by Tuesday night at www.gssfonline.com. The finals, with prize distribution, are posted about 30 days after the prelims, allowing time to resolve any scoring issues. Warning: GSSF Is Addictive!

Watch the video at
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtKHT9aLN_8

·
you son of a
1,400 Posts
Your First GSSF Outdoor Match, by Danny Ryan
An idea, Danny - maybe edit this thread some and pin it as "Shooting Your First Outdoor GSSF Match."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts