Looking to get into the hobby.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Sinister Angel, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Sinister Angel

Sinister Angel I'd Hit It!

Just wondering if there are any books or some other resource you guys would recommend to get going. There is an ARC in TC that I'll be stopping by to get some info and such, but I was wondering what stuff you guys might recommend for something getting into the hobby. I'm starting to wish I new some Morse Code so I could go right for my General.

2. EUPHER49

EUPHER49

The TCARC would be a good place to start. They should know where and when VEC testing will occur.
    In some areas, like mine, clubs will hold classes
    with the end goal being a testing session for your license. Check out the ARRL website, www.arrl.org/
    and they will have some useful info also.

As far as code goes, 5 wpm should be attainable in
    several weeks if you put your mind to it. I'm sure with a web search you could find out specifically how to go about it. There are numerous computer morse programs to make learning effective.

Good luck

3. beachside39

beachside39

You can buy Technician, General and Extra Class study guides from WWW.ARRL.ORG or ham stores. A number of code tapes/CDs are also available.

But, free is better... Go to www.qrz.com and take the practice tests. If you do that every day for 30 days, you will have a great shot at passing the written tests. The actual questions are provided and answers are also provided so each time you re-take it, your score goes up. I started with the Extra with a score of 45% and had it into the 90% range when I passed the actual exam.

Next, go to arrl.org and download the W1AW code practice files. Start with 5 wpm. After studying the characters, you will start to pick up more and more actual code.

When you take your Technician written, you will be offered the opportunity to take the General and Extra written and code test a the same time. Pass one and take the next... all for one low fee. We charge $12 to take exams here in Florida.