Glock Talk banner

Looking to buy first Glock, I'm ready!

1K views 36 replies 29 participants last post by  j-glock22 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase my first Glock! I'm ready to jump on the wagon. I am in the Military and I am looking to buy one for concealed carry. I have trouble with the subcompact but I love the 19,23,32. I currently have a Ruger P345 in .45ACP which shoots great and is an awesome handgun. I would like to get something lighter and one that has easier manual of arms. I have been looking, and researching quite a bit. I have kinda narrowed it down to the 19,23,32,38. Can anyone provide some insight for me. I'm just so darn torn! Hopefully I can get some great advice from you all! :wavey:

#3 · (Edited)
All that you specified is that you like the compact Glocks in assorted calibers with no preference for a particular caliber. Go to the range and rent/shoot some?

Edited to add that I CCW a G36 and a G23. Never had a need for a 9 mm excepting for cheap range ammo.

#5 ·
I'm a fan of many calibers. I love the .45 but since I already have one, I certainly don't want another right now. I would like a different one, i.e. .40S&W, 9mm/.357Sig. By the way, have they worked the bugs out of the Gen 4 19's. Weren't they having issues with them?

P.S- Thanks for the quick replies!

#7 ·
Does not matter what anyone advises you here, especially the ones that will start to say get gen 4 and get gen 3 and so forth. It all depends on what you feel comfortable to carry. What is good for one is not necessarily good for another, so you need to try them out and then choose for yourself... exactly what I did.

#10 ·
I would say the 19 with no question...as far as which Gen...the 3rd gen is proven over and over again, the 4th gen has/had its bumps but is still a glock and still more reliable than 90% of whats out there...u can shoot 9mm a lot cheaper than 40 s&w...and thats what u do with a Glock, shoot it!

I say forget the Gen, settle on a caliber and find the best deal/price...Ed's Public Safety will give u a nice discount and they just got a shipment of Gen 4 G19s.

#11 ·
No doubt Uncle gave you some experience with 9mm.

If that is true, and you are comfortable with the power of the 9, the model 19 is a very good choice. Coupled with the cheapo Glock 14$ holster if makes a darn good carry piece.

No doubt there will be a number of responses about a 'quality' holster (of the few hundred that are available) being a better choice, but I know a dozen or so LE sorts that swear by the rig for comfort and concealment.

#13 ·
So many choices is right. Another vote for the g19. It's the only gun I own for a reason. The thing rocks. It's a gen 3, but you can get whatever gen you like. Good luck. I second the eds public safety. I haven't purchased anything from them yet, but I heard only great things about them. Never a single complaint.

#17 ·
Personally, I would get the G23! A liitle more fire power than then the G19, & you can always get a LW conversion barrel to 9mm! Just my .02 cents.:cool:

#19 ·
Does not matter what anyone advises you here, especially the ones that will start to say get gen 4 and get gen 3 and so forth. It all depends on what you feel comfortable to carry. What is good for one is not necessarily good for another, so you need to try them out and then choose for yourself... exactly what I did.
+1 on this

#21 ·
Another +1 on the G19! Army guy here, I live right around the corner from Ed's and I picked up mine a few days ago to go with the G23 I already have. I absolutely love the Gen 4 :tongueout:

#22 ·
I have kinda narrowed it down to the 19,23,32,38. Can anyone provide some insight for me.
You can't go wrong with any one of those 4, compacts are perfect size. I've been itching to get a 23, but then started thinking about how I miss my old Gen3 glock 19, and then thought about how I love .45 and the G38 when it comes out in Gen4 would be a sweet shooter. Even the 32 is good if you're into the .357sig.

This is really a question of "what caliber", but I see no problems with any one of those guns.

#24 ·
My vote would be for the 23 cause I love the .40S&W round. If you wanted to change to a 9mm or .357sig you can convert the 23 very easily in a matter of minutes.

#26 ·
Glock 19 is the #1 all around firearm..
For Military go with the 9mm platform = G17/G19/G26/G34 or G18
Pick which ever Generation you like..
I prefer the feel of the 2nd Gen G19 because of the lack of finger grooves but you don't see them much anymore..
There's nothing wrong with the 3rd or 4th Generations either..
There all good guns..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.