Looking to buy a chronograph.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by J_Rico, Dec 12, 2019.

1. J_Rico

J_Rico

Thanks for all the replies. Still undecided, but appreciate the input.

2. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

There is this thing called scope offset.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUnI4XqZfYk

-JCN-, flyover and FullClip like this.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I think that's what he meant by breaking the bank.

flyover likes this.
  4. Noponer

Noponer

Same here... I bought a new F-2 Shooting Chrony in 1995 for $77 including tax & shipping. It still works today. All I ever needed in my 30+ years of reloading. Keeps record of shooting groups, gives high, low, average, extreme spread & standard deviation. No printer, so I made up a record form & filled in copies for each run.

I recently sold my Dillon RL550B press & related equipment... but I kept the Chrony!

FullClip likes this.
  5. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

I have a basic Caldwell I've used for the last 5 years. It plugs into my phone for remote reading using an app. It was under $100 and it tells me the velocity which is all I need it to do. It's good enough. Sometimes good enough is good enough.

6. Lithium

Lithium

I still have my trusty Oehler 35P from what? 25 years ago? Only shot it once and I replaced the sensor that was shot so it works like new. I think it was $300 bucks. I see they are going for almost 600 clams now.

but new tech I’d recommend Labradar.

cheygriz and FullClip like this.
  7. J_Rico

J_Rico

A couple of you mentioned the ProChrono.

Leaning that way. Can you tell me how reliable is the Bluetooth and what is the range on the Bluetooth? I will be using this almost exclusively outdoors. Any issues with natural lighting?

8. papershoot

papershoot

I have used the ProChrono w/o the bluetooth for several years. It works. You may have a few errors or problems getting readings with certain bullets on bright days. Never used it indoors.

9. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

OP, you didn't way whether you were interested in rifle, pistol or both.
    For rifle only, I like my MagnetoSpeed
    https://magnetospeed.com/

I have a CED Mk 2 for pistol. While it has a downrange component, the high cost gadget is on the bench. The skyscreen and supports are available separately. There's a reason I know this...

I would really like to have the Labradar but I suspect I wouldn't get all that much use out of it.

Papa glock likes this.
  10. Benchrst

Benchrst Ban Hamster

I've got a couple of ProChonos, really like the Bluetooth add-on and tablet app.

11. papercidal

papercidal

The Bluetooth option is pretty reliable Range is about 30’ I’ve always used the indoor lighting kit outdoors because the pistol bay I use outdoors is in deep shade most of the time. I rigged up a 12v power tool battery with a mini inverter to power it.

12. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Which model ?

[​IMG]

willie_pete and FullClip like this.
  13. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

I have one with the bluetooth attachment. I had some problems with the app for the iPad in that it wouldn't keep any manual entries (notes, bullet weight, etc) to the shot string after it was created. I called and emailed to report the problem. There would be updates to the app, but I still had the same problem. I just "lived" with it.

I recently "upgraded" the app, and lost all of the data - several years worth. Then, when I would try to create a string, the app would crash. This was on an iPad 3. I just happened to get a Mini 4 (to run Foreflight) a few days before. I loaded the app on the Mini, and the app didn't crash, but bluetooth wouldn't connect (the app never "thought" bluethooth was "on" in the iPad settings). I reported the problems with no response. After a few days, I called and was told the person who could help me was "out" and if I would leave a message he would call in an hour or two.

The next afternoon, the guy called (actually the owner) called a blamed me for doing "everything wrong", and no one has ever reported a problems with the chronograph or the app that was their (CE) fault, and it is always the user doing something wrong. For example he claimed that I wasn't "hitting the "save" option" when updating information in a string. With only "save" and "cancel" options to exit the window, I told him that I know how to use the "save" option. He asked, "are you sure"? I told him that I've used computers for 40+ years, I'm not a dumbass, and I'm pretty damned sure I didn't choose the cancel option thirty (30) or forty (40) times when trying to "save" information. He said, I'm not going to sit here and listen to you trash my product, and hung up.

I called back and got someone else, who had no idea how bluetooth works. After several suggestions, she suggested removing and reinstalling the app. I told her that I had actually installed it on two different devices (one "fresh" and the other "update"), she said try anyway. So I did, and it actually worked on both devices. I suspect they actually corrected problems with the app after my initial report.

So, the app works now - and has a "backup data" option. As far as the chrono itself, it works reasonably well in "good" light. It has never worked an hour or so before sunset - but seems ok in bright light with the screens installed. All things considered except customer service (particularly price at $135 for the current bluetooth built-in model), I'd give it 3-1/2 (out of five) "stars". Customer service, about 1/2 "star".

14. Goldstar225

Goldstar225 NRA member

I have a Master Chrony that I've used for about 15 years. Never had any problem with it.

15. J_Rico

J_Rico

Should have replied earlier. Went with a CE ProChrono. I have used their shot timer for years and decided to trust them again. Have not tried the Chronograph yet, but will soon.

Thanks for all the replies.

FullClip likes this.
  16. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7

An Omega Speedmaster has always worked for me.

17. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

I started with an Oehler 11 with Skyscreens about 4" wide and octal click knob yes/no readout.

Then used the club's PACT for a while.

Then bought a CED Millennium. Lots of bells and whistles but a lot of cabling to hook up, especially to add the IR illuminators in poor lighting. As said, the brains are on the bench, shooting a pickup does not hurt the wallet nearly as much.

I did not expect the CED to work after the Incident, so I bought a CE Digital Pro. It has a wide "window." It also puts the works downrange, but the company will replace it for half of retail if shot. Mine is the old model with wired remote. The connections are weak. CE fixed it once. When they replaced the mortally wounded unit, its connection did not last long. I didn't want to send it back again, so I just walk down now. I can get to the range on weekdays when nobody is there, so it is not a lot of trouble.

If I only have a few combinations, I take the CE; if I want to chronograph a lot of loads, I string up the CED which does still work after being smoked and steamed.

Labradar is the class act, but I am no longer doing enough chronographing to justify one. I offered to set up at the local lane rental range on a fee sharing basis but they were not interested.

Other chronographs, I have shot over Oehler 33 and 35, they are reliable. The Shooting Chrony works. I have seen but not shot over the Caldwell.

ETA Lighting Conditions. Fluorescent lighting will drive a photoelectric chronograph nuts, it can pick up the 60 Hertz flicker your eye does not see. Setup under a shade tree will not give good readings.
    I have seen pictures of chronographs set up upside down so there is only reflected light off the diffusers.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 11:59 AM