Looking for project guns...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ejohnson, Mar 22, 2010.

1. ejohnson

ejohnson

Hello,
    I have finally managed to get into a couple of the NRA gunsmith classes at Montgomery College.
    I would like to add a few project guns to my collection, but I am on a budget. I also live in Northern VA which seems devoid of any good pawn shops. So, I am looking for an online source for cheap bubba’d - non working - horror storied firearms. My only requirement is that there would be some hope of making them fire again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Eric

2. SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

Congrats on doing something you enjoy. I wish I could do the same thing you are sometimes.

I dont have an idea for non-working firearms. But thought I would add my thoughts for some working, inexpensive firearms.

This will be a list of my favorites to work on....
    - ruger 10/22
    - ruger mk 2-mk3
    - sig p6 and the 20 dollar dvd on topgunsupply-dot-com
    - Mosin Nagant (mn 91/30)

The others (rugers and 1911 and even the MN) have a LOT of free online resources for breakdown and optimization.

These can be found somewhat cheap. The 1911 can be a beater or a new RIA which at gunshows is still 399

The sig p6 is still around 399 as well.

The ruger handgun and rifle used should be around 4-500 for the pair.

The MN is still around or less than 100.00 in excellent condition.

So that is around 1500. Seems high, put together, but this is what I would start with.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010

3. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

check gunbroker,

i got a project 870 off there for 150~,

check pawn shops, they usually have their crap pile, and usually there is something of an all steel construction for you to polish / bead blast and refinish,

if not, get a cheap basic 1911 like the RIA and go to town

4. fiasconva

fiasconva

Try vaguntrader.com You have to register but there are some real projects there. Good luck!

5. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Why dont you try some old milsurps, scoping them and rebarreling them to different calibers?

Its not easy using an old german mauser action but you can rebarrel one to virtually any caliber including a 22-250 that would be a heck of a long range varmiter.The '98 action is very strong.

A friend of mine is a retired smith and this was one of his first projects, rebarreling a mauser to 22-250 and custom making the stock with inlay carvings.the only thing original was the mauser 98k receiver.He took almost a year to build it but when he was finished, it looked like a museum piece with intricate inlay of bufflalo horn,double set trigger which were carved also and a jeweled bolt.

good luck

6. Berto

Berto woo woo

THe 870 is a great project idea, lots of well used diamonds in the rough out there on gun racks in the local pawn/gun shops.
    If you want something a little more challenging, that will demand a little more resourcefulness, find an H@R (Harrington and Richardson) revolver like a Sportsman or similar. These can be good project guns, and may require some parts fabrication in some cases.

7. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

I don't know much about it, but I've seen alot if people rework old colt revolvers, like the detective special.

8. GAFinch

GAFinch

9. Reb 56

Reb 56

Any Kel-Tec Pistol should do for a good project Gun.

10. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Viva Hate CLM

That would be cool.

11. .45sniper

.45sniper

J&G has alot of used, LE trade-ins and they have gunsmith specials (broken guns).

12. blackbmw

blackbmw

I would have to say that my favorite project gun has been my mosin. I have a enfield that i saw for a week and it has been at ottocomp for 8 months getting sights put on it, but that mosin, there is something to be said about a 7.62x54r letting off at the range and the decibels emmited that say " we should have won the war". I keep it loaded with selliers just in case my 742 runs outta ammo for long range wars here in the stl. (not gonna happen, but cant be too prepared...)

13. 40calGlock

40calGlock

I'd check centerfiresystems.com they have some cheap guns you may be able to get use out of.

14. space_weazel

space_weazel

I saw a bren II kit at the show last weekend, complete ready to be re welded, probably could have had it for $300.

15. ejohnson

ejohnson

Thanks,
    Eric

Hey folks,

First thanks for all of the great replies, you guys are great!

FYI… I will be cut and pasting part of this reply to a couple threads on several forums. Please don’t think I am being weird or trolling or something…

Replies and thoughts:

I will be adding a WTB in the sales section, thanks.

I live in Northern VA:

…and the pawn shops suck. The ones I have found (in Manassas) are mostly jewelry, the tools and firearms are overpriced junk that has been in the window so long they’re sun faded.

…and the gun shows near me have not been that great recently ether. Between the great prophet and Heller vs. DC the gun market around here has been hopping. The shows have been mostly new or overpriced. At the last one I saw a S&W model 10 that was perfect for me, the cylinder moved about a 1/16th at lock-up, I think the crane was bent, and the finish was maybe 60%. I would not have fired that as it was. I was think’n $75 for it, they wanted $450, firm. Sigh… The market is cooling down, so I will try a few more shows before my class and see if I get lucky.

Rebarrel/restoring/ sporterising a mauser or Mosin Nagant: Great idea, and definitely on my to-do list. I am not sure if I will have time at the class to do this…

A H@R (Harrington and Richardson) revolver would be fun, there seems to be lots of folks online trying to find someone to work on them. They could be a good, fun, niche for me to work on.

“Any Kel-Tec Pistol should do for a good project Gun.” That is “blow milk out my nose” funny! Hey, wait a minute, I like Kel-Tec’s…

Some places folks suggested (haven’t check them all out yet):
    Century Arms used to sell "Gunsmith Specials." They still do, but they don’t have much right now.
    J&G
    http://www.sarcoinc.com/3-10-10_P page.pdf
    Old Western Scrounger
    VA guntrader
    centerfiresystems.com

Thanks,
    Eric