close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for opinions on small safe

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zmayhem, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Zmayhem

Zmayhem

I don't have any young kids or anything around, but would like a small safe/lockbox to throw a HD gun in occasionally to secure it. Maybe throw a passport or a few documents in, wallet, check book or similar items into when my roommate or I have people over. From what i've read, the GunVaults are the cheapest option but are pretty small, easy to get into and the lock tends to break. I am looking at

-all of the Fort Knox boxes here
    http://www.thesafeplace.com/handgun-safes/

-maybe this or something similar
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=122287

For around $200-$260 the heaviest Fort Knox Gun Box is 24 lbs empty. The Cannon H1 is 124 lbs. A single person could walk away with either if it isn't bolted down/secured so I don't know that being 100 lbs heavier is really a huge benefit.
    Again, I don't necessarily NEED one right now, I only have one gun right now (glock 19) and may add a Walther PPQ shortly but that will be it for awhile. It would just be to store the one or two guns in and maybe some documents. If anybody can recommend any of these options or a better one, have at it. I don't really need or want a big $1,000+ dollar safe, I know they are better and more secure but I don't need or want all that space right now. Thanks!

2. CrookCounty

CrookCounty Trolling Noob

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012

3. todd_g

todd_g

I think the second link you show will be perfect for your needs. I have the $1000 safe which all of the guns, jewelry and valuable electronics I own. I also have a nano safe which has a cable. I keep that in my car with the cable wrapped around my seat. Then the nano tucks under the seat. I cannot see leaving my handgun in the glove box like some people do.

4. PPinesRon

PPinesRon

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  5. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

I have the Ft Knox handgun safe - it came free with my last safe purchase. Let me tell you that it is HEAVY and quite of beast. I dont think someone is going to easily break into it, and carrying it away will be a chore. I can bolt down onto things if you want to go that route. No fire protection.

The problems I have with it are that the bottons are not really responsive and it is huge. You wont be putting this on your bed side table. It's on mine and takes up the whole damn thing (its moving soon). I am thinking about moving it, but my worry is that if something goes bump in the middle of the night, I wont have time to locate the box, pull it out from under the bed (my proposed new location, if approved by the boss) and input the code into the unresponsive mechanical lock.

That said, I dont know what to suggest. I have one and I am not a fan. I'm going to watch this thread to see if there are better suggestions. PM me if you need specific answers about the fort knox version.

6. purrrfect 10

purrrfect 10

Not much of a friend if you have to worry about them going into your bedroom and stealing from you. Never once have I locked up anything if some friends come over. Not like i leave valuables lay all over :dunno:

7. Zmayhem

Zmayhem

The only reason I suggested the ones above was because every review I could find said that they were high quality and well made. I'm planning on bolting it into the floor next to my bed and having either a night stand/small table over it or using the safe itself as sort of a table. Just to put alarm clock on really but I would like to have quick access to it at night. I feel like if i'm going to get one I might as well spend the money and get a high quality one. From different videos and reviews i've seen some of the $100 ones are really easy to get into which for me would defeat the whole purpose. I do appreciate all the input though, i'm definitely keeping an open mind.

8. Zmayhem

Zmayhem

It's not my friends i'm worried about, but I have a roommate and never felt the need to lock my bedroom door. Nothing has gone missing YET and there have been no problems, but I don't always know every single person that comes in and we do have parties occasionally. So I figure even though nothing has happened yet, why not just eliminate any risk of it happening in the future. Even if I don't use it all the time, I can't see having a secure safe as ever being a bad thing, right?

9. Zmayhem

Zmayhem

I appreciate the input. I like the idea/concept of the Gun Vaults but there are so many mixed reviews and I feel like connecting it with a small cable to a small table or something in my room, anybody who broke in could just break the table and easily walk out with it and it's contents. Or they could just crack it open pretty quickly from what i've seen online and take the contents. I want something strong, reliable, and with a good weight. I don't mind spending whatever I have to spend to get a quality product that I will be happy with and be able to use for years.

10. JJJJr Shabadoo

JJJJr Shabadoo Doc

11. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Me and a co-worker once got into a debate about this very same thing. Her premise is that no safe under 50 lbs is safe since someone can just pick it up and walk off with it.

She is correct.

My point to her was, for it to be truely safe, it needs to be hidden too. But, that defeats (in most cases) the purpose of a HD safe.

There is another thread in GNG I think that shows off a wall shotgun box that is hidden as a picture frame. Sportsman's Guide is out of them, but there is one made for a single pistol.

Maybe take a look at those. It wouldnt be "safe" but if no one knows what it is...it is perfectly hidden. Unless someone breaks into your house to steal random photos and frames that is. :cool:

12. Zmayhem

Zmayhem

Very good video Shabadoo! Confirmed some of my thoughts about the Gun Vaults.

LSU, Here is another interesting product, although not secure at all if somebody finds it.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Rj7gW0V8g"]FAST Holster for Home Defense - YouTube[/ame]

I have also toyed with the idea of building something like this:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9GwE_3g1ww"]Handmade End Table / Nightstand with Secret Hidden Compartment for Handgun, Pistol, Revolver - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-XmT7j5ZuQ&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL26394EC838A450D3"]The hidden drawer upclose - YouTube[/ame]

This would be bad ***, but a little too in depth and large for what I want. lol
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ic3oLS5SQ"]Hidden drawer - YouTube[/ame]

13. Zmayhem

Zmayhem

I'll probably order the Cannon one in about a week or so if I don't find a better option.

14. FAS1

FAS1

Sounds like this could be something you are looking for. The http://www.fas1safe.com is 3/16" (7 GA) with a Simplex push button lock. It holds 1 gun and a couple spare mags in the bottom. It weighs 21 lbs. Bolt it down to something solid and it is as secure as you can get in a handgun safe. MADE IN THE USA!

[ame]http://youtu.be/CcJUGuB35y8[/ame]

15. kashdaddy

kashdaddy Glockaholic

i find most safe to do the job.