Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an aspiring AR owner...doing my research before taking the plunge, and have become curious about the 6.8SPC. I did search and didn't really find much that was current. What are people's thoughts and opinions on this round's performance and its availablity ammo and parts wise?

I'm interested in it because one application I would like this purchase to fulfill is a carbine for still hunting whitetail in the midwestern north woods. .223 is legal where I hunt, but its adequacy seems controverial. I have a 30-06 as my primary deer rifle, but later in the season I like to ditch the treestand and go mobile. In that specific appilcation I think a fast handling carbine is more appropriate than my bolt gun with a 3-9X scope. But in that application, shots will pretty much be inside of 70 yards and definatly within 90, so maybe heavy for caliber 223's with proper bullet type is enough.

As a general rule I'm not into the specialized calibers for fear that they are here today gone tomorrow. I like the 6.8 because it fits on a standard lower so I could still have 223 options for recreational shooting (entertaining the idea of 3-gun comp) in addition to all the other upper conversions that can be done with AR lowers and give me some extra punch for humane whitetail kills. But if I stick with 223...then sky is the limit as far as parts and ammo availablity (by comparison).

My quick glance research shows that price of 6.8 ammo is roughly comperable to other big game centerfire calibers. I pretty much buy ammo from chain distributers like cabelas anyway so availablity is theoretically acceptable. Is this consistent with what others see?

Hopefully you guys get the gist of my delema...any wisdom?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have a 6.8 upper in a 16 inch barrel. I have mounted it with a Leupold VXIII 4.5x14. I have a AR15 so switching out the upper to deer hunt made since to me in many ways. The ballistics are more than adequate for whitetail. Ballistically it favors the 16 inch barrel which makes the rifle much easier to carry in the field. The recoil is such that it allows me to maintain visual contact with the target in a follow up situation. Ammo is a little harder to aquire but is avalible. The 68forums.com is a great resource and a valueble place to get detailed information on the 6.8SPC. Just a word of caution, be careful if you disassemble both uppers to clean side by side. The bolt assemblies are almost identical.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Available factory ammo-
Corbon------110 TTSX
--------------115 SMK
--------------115 subsonic
DoubleTap--110 Vmax
---------------115 FMJ
---------------110TTSX
---------------110 OTM
Hornady-----110 Vmax
---------------110 OTM
Rem.---------115 FMJ
---------------115 HPBT
--------------115 corelokt
--------------115SMK
Sellier&Bellot-110 TTSX
-----------------110 Vmax
SSA------------85 BarnesTSX---SSAs loads available in Commercial and Tactical velocities
----------------90 TNT
----------------95 frangable
----------------97 AP
----------------100 Nosler Accubond
----------------110 Nosler Accubond
----------------110 Sierra Pro hunter
----------------110 Barnes TTSX
----------------115 SMK
-------------95gr Barnes TTSX

6.8 Manufactures-

Addax
Armalite
AR Performance
Barrett
Bisson
Bushmaster
Cmmg
DPMS
FN
Globa Tact.
LMT
LWRC
Model 1 sales
MSAR
MSTN
Noveske
POF
PRI
Remington
Ruger
Robinson Arms
RRA
Stag
TC
Titan
WOA
YHM

20" barrels only produce about 70-100 more fps over a 16"
If you handload and want high performance velocities use 12, 11.25 or 11 twist barrels, 5R or 4 groove rifling, with the HP 6.8x43, DMR or SPCII chamber. I would make sure the upper has M4 feed ramps.
Stay clear of all 9.5" or 10" twist barrels with the "6.8x43SPC SAAMI" chamber. Brass with small rifle primers will last longer and shoot higher velocity handloads. RE10X, H322, H335 powders are best with 95-110gr bullets but, RE7 works well with 85-95gr bullets.

·
Nonentity
4,472 Posts
The 6.8 is a good round. In fact, it's basically the round the Europeans tried to get us to adopt about 60 years ago, instead of the 7.62x51.

Inside a few hundred yards, good 6.8 loadings actually show better terminal effects than standard military 7.62x51 loadings. Pretty good results from a round that requires only a new mag, bolt, and barrel.

·
"Mostly" Dead
541 Posts
6.8mm is a pretty slick round but ammo is expensive. Were it more comparible price-wise methinks there'd be a TON of 6.8's out there.

·
Premium Member
42,362 Posts
I'll be looking into a 6.8 build in the future!
Would make a great deer rifle out to about 250 yards!

·
C.D.B.
4,011 Posts
I really like my Bushmaster 6.8 and the bark that it makes when fired. I just bought a Smith and Wesson 15X in 5.56 for something cheaper to feed though.

·
NRA ENDOWMENT
6,545 Posts
6.5 is better, both are freaking expensive
The 6.5 is better from the ballistics standpoint but not from the weapon reliablity standpoint. An Ar can be made to work with the 6.5 but the 6.8 was built from the ground up to work in the Ar hence the reliablity edge.
pat

·
Registered
576 Posts
We're pushing 95gr bullets over 3000fps fromm a 16" barrel too.
The Barnes 95TTSX will be out for public sale in about 2 months.
GS custom bullets is opening a plant here in the states so we won't have to order from South Africa anymore, their 99gr HV is one bad bullet.

·
AAAMAD
34,192 Posts
I love my 6.8.

Wouldn't trade my 5.56 for one, but I do really dig the DMR rifle I built around the 6.8, and its abilitys.

·
Nonentity
4,472 Posts
The 6.5 is better from the ballistics standpoint but not from the weapon reliablity standpoint. An Ar can be made to work with the 6.5 but the 6.8 was built from the ground up to work in the Ar hence the reliablity edge.
pat
Define ballistics as external or terminal. Inside of about 400 yards, the 6.8 does more damage. Beyond this, the 6.5 has the edge. The 6.5 is also way better in terms of long range energy retention and accuracy.

·
NRA ENDOWMENT
6,545 Posts
Define ballistics as external or terminal. Inside of about 400 yards, the 6.8 does more damage. Beyond this, the 6.5 has the edge. The 6.5 is also way better in terms of long range energy retention and accuracy.
External. Terminal ballistics is a function of bullet design.
Pat

·
NRA Member
3,947 Posts
I have the 6.8mm SPC in a Stag Model 7 Hunter, and out to 300 yards with Silver State AccuBond ammo, it is devastatingly effective on whitetail. (Beyond 350 yards, it is losing steam. But few people really appreciate how long a 300 yard shot really is. Most of us will never shoot anything beyond 200 yards.)

It works hell on wheels on fur-bearing predators, too.

If I were punching paper at close ranges (100 yards or so), I'd stick with 5.56mm.

If I were hunting white-tail size game inside 300 yards, I'd go with the 6.8mm SPC.

If I were exclusively shooting longer-range targets (over 350 yards) I'd get the 6.5mm Grendel.

The 6.8mm is a great whitetail and defensive cartridge inside 300 yards or maybe even a bit more.

For a general-purpose AR, the 6.8mm is more flexible, and does more things well in my view, than either 5.56mm or 6.5mm Grendel.

-ET

1 - 20 of 20 Posts