close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for new PC. Sites that build to spec?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ThinkOfTheChildren, Dec 4, 2006.

1. ThinkOfTheChildren

ThinkOfTheChildren C.E. Moderator

I am interested in getting a new PC. I built my last one, but for various reasons am not interested in building a new one right now.

I will not be gaming with this PC, but I want it tailored to a multimedia, multi-tasking environment (lots of photo editing and occasional video editing). I am looking to spend as little over $1,000 as possible. To slightly help me with that price point, I will be re-using the DVD drives out of my current tower. I can use my current monitor (an Acer AL1714) but frankly would like to purchase a second one so that I can run dual monitors. But I won't count the monitor cost towards the PC cost...

I know that I want a Intel Core 2 Duo (perhaps the Intel E6600).
    I know that I want 2GB of RAM
    And I know that I want at least 300 gigs worth of HDD space

Besides that it is up in the air.

I would like a system that is easily upgradeable, I.E. no proprietary components. I don't know where most of the name brands currently stand on that, but a Dell I purchased around 6 years ago used a number of proprietary parts that prevented easy upgrading (had to buy a whole new case and transplant parts when I wanted to change the mobo). Also, it seems like most of the name brands like to skimp in one area (I.E. give a fast processor but horribly low RAM).

So that has pointed me towards IBuyPower.com but I've read mixed reviews on them. Anyone know where they currently stand?
    Any other reputable outfits that currently build spec machines that are upgradeable?

Any other pointers?

Thanks in advance!

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

find a local computer repair shop. many of them build computers. they'll likely give you a quote on whatever you want.

check the yellow pages.

if possible wait until after Christmas to save a fair chunk of money.

3. ThinkOfTheChildren

ThinkOfTheChildren C.E. Moderator

Thanks David. From what I've seen in the last few months, the local options are not very promising based on price.

Oh really? I thought that the deals would be right before Christmas, but I guess I was wrong :crazy:

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

The reason they charge more, is because they use better components than Dell/Gateway, etc.

Have you considered building it yourself? It isn't hard, you know you'll have exactly what you want, don't want. Also, you don't have to worry about the loads of crap that PC Manufacturers put on a PC. There's numerous threads here on building a PC. I personally think you could hit your price point if you build it, buying it assembled however, would be difficult.

If I were going to buy an assembled PC from an online distributor, it would probably be Alienware. Yes it will be expensive, but due to the fact they cater to Gamers, they don't scrape on components, or they know their names would be mud. Gateway and Dell just suck, no way I'd use them.

IGF

5. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Agree 100%