Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so it is for a slightly older :drool: handgun design than our Glocks:

I recently acquired a SAA (Cimarron-Arms/Uberti Evil Roy) w/a 5 1/2" barrel and am looking for suggestions -based upon your actual experience- on low recoil/cowboy loads using components that I already have. I have extensive reloading experience with other calibers in both handgun & rifle, just not with the 45 long colt.

The bullets that I have on hand (thanks to a friend) are Oregon Trail Laser-Cut lead 250 RNFP and 255 SWC.

Primers will be Remington (not magnum) or can be WLP's.

Powders available include Bullseye, AA#5, True Blue, Silhouette and Zip.

My priorities are as follows:
  1. Accurate to 25 yards
  2. Minimal recoil
  3. Minimal chance of a problem due to a squib or pressure spike
I fully expect the load to be fairly dirty due to low pressure and am not concerned about clean-up.

Your expertise and experience will be most appreciated!

·
Registered
20,909 Posts
I wont be much help. I mainly use Unique at around 8 grains and a 250/255 grain lead bullet. It does what I need.

·
Registered
35,705 Posts
With what you have I would use zip or BE. When I was shooting cas, 200gr rnfp, 4.5gr or RedDot. Fills the case decently, very accurate to as far as you want to shoot cas loads. Lighter bullets are where its at for low tecoil cas loads.
Fwiw, running lead bullets at low pressure, the Oregon trail bullets are too hard. Make sure you are shooting at least 0.452" min.

·
NRA & Second Amendment Life Member
1,586 Posts
With what you have I would use zip or BE. When I was shooting cas, 200gr rnfp, 4.5gr or RedDot. Fills the case decently, very accurate to as far as you want to shoot cas loads. Lighter bullets are where its at for low tecoil cas loads.
Fwiw, running lead bullets at low pressure, the Oregon trail bullets are too hard. Make sure you are shooting at least 0.452" min.
I have some Oregon Trail Laser bullets that I haven’t used yet. So you’re saying they’ll work better at higher pressure loads?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Banned
45,580 Posts

·
18,305 Posts
Bullseye works well for light target loads but the oregon trail bullets may not give best accuracy with minimum charges of fast burning powders like Bullseye or zip.

True Blue is a slow burning powder better for maximum loads and AA5 and Silhouette are medium burners better for full power loads.

After you shoot all of your Oregon trail bullets you might want to try some 200 grain bullets if softer recoil is what you're after. Bullseye, red dot, and zip will all work well with these bullets.

http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=60&category=5&secondary=14

·
Registered
35,705 Posts
I have some Oregon Trail Laser bullets that I haven’t used yet. So you’re saying they’ll work better at higher pressure loads?

Thanks,
Steve
As noted, yes a harder bullet works better at higher pressures. Though back in the day when i shot a lot of cas, my own cast bullets were almost pure lino because I got it cheap.
Fit is everything, so bigger is better. Check cyl throat size. You want at least 0.452" for a 0.452" bullet. Smaller Throats size the bullet down then you can get leading, even at low vel.

·
Registered
35,705 Posts
Of all the ‘back in the day’ gun stories I hear, THAT has to be the one I envy the most.
Small town newspaper guy sold me his old lino for 25c a pound!!! If I only knew, would have bought 4-5 tons. Of course wheel wys were free for the taking but melting into ingots just wasnt worth it to me, then. Today finding ww at even a decent price is difficult.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I use 6 grains of Trail Boss Powder...200 grain lead round nose bullets from Missouri Bullet Company in my Uberti Chism....I'm lazy in some ways,. I can shoot he same bullets in my 1911s....however, TB doesn't work well in my 1911s, I've tried it...

·
Registered
35,705 Posts
I use 6 grains of Trail Boss Powder...200 grain lead round nose bullets from Missouri Bullet Company in my Uberti Chism....I'm lazy in some ways,. I can shoot he same bullets in my 1911s....however, TB doesn't work well in my 1911s, I've tried it...
Norhing wrong with simplifying logistics. When I shot cas I also tended to use the same bullet for my 1911.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Appreciate everyone's help.

I got to the indoor range yesterday with 50 rounds of the 250's over 5.0 of Bullseye.

Shot very well - accurate and fairly low recoil.

Cleaning today there was no leading...just the expected lube & powder residue.

Will put together some ladder tests to find the sweet spot. Am also picking up some Trail Boss for future use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts