close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for good walking shoes

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by huaco, Mar 4, 2006.

1. huaco

huaco

The vast majority of the exercise I get is in the form of six to eight mile walks at four mph, mostly in the vicinity of my neighborhood and along a hike and bike trail that's about two miles from my home. First I wore out a pair of Saucony running shoes and now one of the New Balance 641 walking shoes is starting to come apart on the inside near the heel long before any of the outside part shows any signs of wear. The New Balance shoes are much more comfortable for walking so I'm convinced there is something to be said for buying shoes designed for walking as opposed to those labeled for running, cross training, etc. Does anyone know if there's really a difference?

Living in Houston I need shoes that are well ventilated. I don't really care for the white athletic looking shoes which are so prevalent but could live with that if the shoes are great and durable. I generally shop for shoes at Academy and Sports Authority (formerly Oshburns here). Any suggestions re good walking shoes or where to look for them are welcome.

2. bdcochran

bdcochran

Good luck in finding a decent pair of walking shoes.

I end up doing the following. Contacting Puma. Ordering what I need.

The problem today, of course, is that the Puma site is not working. It is like trying to contact Verizon through the internet. High technology - and the webmaster is asleep at the switch.

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

the sneaker type will have the mid sole( the guts of the shoe) be worn out before the sole shows much wear.

It is this midsole stuff that makes these types work.

I feel bad getting a rid of a pair of shoes that while worn out show few signs of wear.

4. Halojumper

Halojumper

Another thing to consider is this; Remember a lot of people who walk or stand all day, for a living, wear some sort of boot. You might consider some sort of military/LEO style boot. Magnum and Bates come to mind, though there are many to choose from. They are usually quite durable, comfortable and suited to walking. Think about it.

5. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

Merrell makes some very comfortable shoes and boots. I just did 10 miles yesterday in my Merrell light weight hikers yesterday. Adidas makes some very light, well ventilated trail running shoes and hikers, but they don't have the same support my Merrells or New Balance shoes have even if they regulate foot temps and breathe easier.

I'd go in this order:

Merrell
    New Balance
    Adidas