close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for first deer rifle

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by 40Cal, Oct 11, 2002.

1. 40Cal

40Cal Modurbator

OK fellas (and ladies),

I'm looking to get my first deer rifle but there are a couple of restrictions I'm facing. Primarily, gun season starts in less than a month here so I don't have time to save up hundreds of dollars.

I work at a gun shop and we recently got a bunch of New England single-shot rifles in various calibers and I've taken a liking to them. I could get into a brand new .270 for under $200 easy and I already have a scope so all I need is rings since the guns come with the base installed.

I know I will eventually want a nice rifle so I have no problem buying this as a temporary gun that seems like it could be a lot of fun. I know I could spend just a little more and get a used Remington 700 or Savage or something but then it would be harder to justify getting what I REALLY want (Browning A-Bolt) next year.

Any input?

By the way, I already thought about a .30-30 but I may be going up to northern Alabama to hunt my uncle's farm and there are some long-range shots at some big deer up there so the .30-30 wouldn't be adequate.

Thanks fer yer time.

2. Sixgun357

Sixgun357

Here is an Idea, Get your self a 8mm Muaser. I have seen them for around $50. Its a great gun cheap and hopefully next year you will have saved up for that greatdeer rifle.

3. Backstop

Backstop

Is borrowing an option?
    If you need to get an inexpensive gun, try to get something that will at least be 'fun' to use on down the road. You can often find something unusual pretty cheap out here in Oregon at a 'Big 5' sporting goods store. They usually have some old east european something that was 'not fired and only dropped once' that might be interesting to shoot, but probably not the ideal hunting rifle. ;a

4. Sixgun357

Sixgun357

I think Big 5 is like our Dunhams here in the Detroit area. A FR8 is pretty cool gun too. I heard Big 5 had Fr8's they area pretty cool .308.

5. Scott H

Scott H Guest

Nothing wrong with that single shot .270 if your first shot is good.

6. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

single shot is all you need and .270 is a good caliber for deer. the NEF rifles i've handled shot well. i'd say go for it.

7. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

Look at Remington's 710. It is a very in-expensive gun that shoots very well. I purchased one (out of curiosity) and it shot 1/4 MOA at 100 yards right out of the box (in .30-06). The scope is low buck, but it works just fine and was nicely dialed in. The 710 is pretty dang tough and my only real complaints are the stiff bolt and vauge tigger feel. But all in all a very good deal for under 400.00.

When you are ready to part with a little more money, try a SAKO 75. A very, very nice gun. I love my 75 Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag and I was able to find one for 799.00. After mounting a Khales 1.1x4 scope I am a very happy hunter.

8. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

if you can borrow do it. if you don't get what you really want you'll regret it and loose money if you trade/sell the one you use to get by.

a rem 700 is affordable and good value for the money. my dad has a 700 in .270 shoots flat, accurate and not overkill.

9. DAVEKO

DAVEKO Deceased Millennium Member

A good first rifle with new scope, sling, case, lock and key.....get a savage 7mm-08 package rifle for $414 tax included (turn key operation), or order one, it will be in within a week or less same price with tax already in. They are pretty darn accruate right out of the box. They come with a Simmons 3x9x40 and a leather sling, plastic case, lock and key. Get 140 grain balistic tips from Georgia Arms for $80 per 100 rounds. Flat shootin little rifle. A 140 grainer Sighted in at 1.5" high at 100 gives you a 200 yard zero+ with a bullet drop of 7.2" at 300 yards and still going 2333fps and 1692fpe. It starts out at 2860fps from Rem. ammo with 2543fpe. 500 yards it maintains 2016fps and 1263fpe. And this rifle don't kick......low recoil.... BC of .485 I like using the Georgia Arms or Fed. 140 grainer Balistic tips myself. Short bolt throw on bolt actions.

The .270 single shot, nothing wrong with that one either. I like the 130 grainer. Real flat shooting, long distance. 2356 fps and 1602fpe at 300 yards with a 6.6" drop at 300 yards. It starts out at 3060fps and 2703 fpe at the muzzle. At 500 yards it maintains 1944fps and 1091fpe. BC of .372 with Rem. ammo. I like using the Fed. 130 grainer serria boattail myself. Long bolt throw on bolt actions.

I own both calibers, like em both but the recoil on my shoulder is alot easier with the 08.......;f you ought to get 1moa or better at 100 yards out of the box with either one of those. I've got a Savage just like the one I told you about, and I have a New England but it is in .223 the .270 ought to do fine in a New England single shot. My .270 is in a Ruger M77.

If you want to still save some dollars take the base savage and put your scope on it for about $125 - $150 dollars over your $200 dollar quote and then you will have a bolt action repeater for follow up shots if needed.

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

40Cal,

I bought one of little N.A. single shots in 44 mag, just to play with.. accurate sucker! I would leave the 270 barrel on there, stick your scope on, and your good to go... all the way to the bean fields of Alabama... Then do whatever next year.

You only need one bullet any way!

CanyonMan

Cruising GT tonight out of sheer bordem!

11. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Good choice. Get the 270. You have made a wise decision.

12. g21glock

g21glock Millennium Member

40cal.

Well youve got til thanksgiving in Ala. to get everything ready. I hunt every year in northeastern Ala. up on the mountain and yes there are some very long that come along. Another thing you need to consider is getting your new rifle and experimenting with different brands and loads of ammo,so you will know what your rifle likes best.
    And then you need to spend a little time on the range to get used to your new rifle and how it shoots.If your going to make more than a couple trips to Ala. this year you would be best served to buy a season license too,because that 3 day is running about 85 or 90 dollars now for out of state and that gets expensive quick.
    If you already know the above then just ignore it..lol just offering it to you as I do not know your experience with rifles and/or hunting.
    I will be up on the mountain on thanksgiving again this year and getting everyone mad that Im not at the dinner/get together..lol
    just my .002
    Whereabouts to you go 40cal?

Safe shooting and good luck on your hunt.