close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for different SUV

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sdsnet, Aug 10, 2012.

1. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

We are ready to replace our 1999 Suburban. My wife is interested in a Tahoe but I'm thinking we should look for other options just to be sure. Something a bit more modern maybe. I like the Sequoia just not the high price.

What other large SUV's are made well yet don't break the bank ?

It should be large enough to carry six adults comfortably if we need to. Towing is not a requirement. I do prefer plenty of power. Something that is not expensive to maintain.

So far we have considered:

Tahoe, 4 Runner, Sequoia

Ideas ? Anything offered in diesel anymore ?

sdsnet

2. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I'm a GM guy, those new tahoe's and yukons are nice!

My buddy has a new Sierra which I love!

Your probably gonna get alot of GM hate on here but that's GT for ya. The toyota's are nice but last time I browsed they can be damn pricy, but hell what isn't now days.

3. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

4Runner or Tahoe if you want something a bit bigger. Both very nice.

4. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Have you considered a van? Not nearly the "cool" factor, but I'd definitely take a hard look at one over a full sized SUV. I'm pretty sold. Diesel E350 with an excursion front axle FTMFW. :cool:

[​IMG]

From Ujoint offroad.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  5. RCP

RCP

I would have no problem reccomending a Tahoe. I have an 07 4x4 LTZ with 100k trouble free miles. Mine has the heated buckets in the 2nd row but if your going to haul more than 4 people on a constant basis I'd suggest one with the bench. The 3rd row seating is ok but it's not very comfortable for an adult on a long trip. Plenty of power, very comfortable, smooth ride, decent towing and depending on which trim level you get can be fairly luxurious.

[​IMG]

6. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I just priced out a Yukon Denali. They are out of their minds asking $61k for one of those.

7. Restless28

Restless28

Since you didn't mention needing ground clearance that a big SUV has, I would suggest a look at the new Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna. 6 people will ride in comfort, the vans handle well, and even when loaded with people, can haul plenty of stuff. In addition, if you need to haul something BIG, the vans can handle it with the seats out of the way. I also like the low load floor and ease of entry and exit for passengers.

Now that I have a grand baby on the way, I wished that we would have bought a van.

8. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I would not be surprised if you could get $10K off at the dealer (if you take one from the lot) because of gas prices.

You are right though - IMO the Tahoe and Yukon are way overpriced. I looked at them as possible replacements for my truck a few weeks back.

9. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Question - why are you replacing the Suburban? Is it just time or is there a particular issue or problem?

I think you can still get a Diesel in the 3/4 ton Suburban (if they even make that one) and in the Excursion. If you go Excusion though be careful around naval air stations - planes will try to land on it. :rofl:

10. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

No diesel in a Suburban (not since the '90s!), and there is no such thing as an Excursion, since 2004 or so.

My vote is for a new/slightly used Suburban. You will miss having the cargo space in the rear, especially if you ever use the 3rd seat.

11. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

I rode in a friend's 2011 (last summer) Kia Sorento a hand-ful of times, and I thought it was pretty nice. It has 3rd row seating, and fits 7 adults (drunk ones!). A loaded 2012 comes to $42.5K, which I'm guessing is a little less than the Tahoes and Suburbans. Please commence with the bashing!!

12. Z71bill

Z71bill

4 Runner & room for 6 seems like a stretch - unless it is just a short trip - no luggage.

The Tahoe & Suburban are scheduled for a complete redesign - IIRC the end of 2013 as a 2014 model.

We are on our 3RD Tahoe - love them for long trips -

I use to tow a boat & a few other trailers - not so much anymore since I sold the boat - hard to justify the 4x4 Tahoe - until I am driving through a snow storm out on I-70 - then I think - worth every penny.

In reality what you (and I) need is a -------- :crying::crying:----

MINIVAN

My brother in law just bought a Sienna - dam nice - more room than my Tahoe - rides better - handles better - better (WAY BETTER) MPG - comes in 4x4.

I may get one someday -

13. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

NEED an honest SUV - or just WANT an honest SUV?

As others have suggested - if all you need is the seating capacity - you'd be amazed at what a minivan can do for you. Dodge/Chrysler is the 2000lb gorilla, but Honda & Toyota would be what we'd have if we could afford it. Nissan is a distant 4th place - and Kia is an even further 5th. We're happy with our Kia - especially considering price.

-J-

14. Restless28

Restless28

I must be getting old now that I realize the minivan is the way to go for people transport. The new Honda is very sharp looking, as is the Toyota when dressed in sporty trim.

15. Mark Smeaton

Mark Smeaton

Just last year ditched my '99 Tahoe, loved it but didn't want to pay for another intake gasket job. Got a Honda Pilot; more powerful acceleration, advertised room for seven, great ride and, surprisingly, more front legroom. Didn't get to try it in snow last winter, still have some concern about that.

16. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

It's almost disgusting at how practical they are. :rofl:

The Pilot is another one to consider if you just can't see yourself in a Minivan.

17. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I knew I hadn't kept up with the auto world but dang!!

18. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

True. SUVs are for hauling loads or towing. Minivans are for hauling people. But who wants to be seen in one?

19. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

Don't worry, I found out I had some outdated knowledge, and I like to think I stay on top of auto stuff. Too many changes and too much info out there!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012