close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for companion dog.

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by thetoastmaster, Feb 6, 2005.

1. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

Hey all-

I'm looking for a companion dog for my wife. I am leaning toward a Belgian Malinois right now. I've done some reading and really think their disposition suits me. Does anyone know anything else about the breed, or where to find a good breeder? Like I said, I'm out to get a companion dog, and maybe get some formal obedience or protection training, to keep my wife company while I'm at work (I'm at the police acadamy right now).

What do you think, can you all help me out?

-Bo

2. Squid.HM2

Squid.HM2

the Malinois is one of the top protection dog you can get,very smart and alot of heart, well trained its hard to beat

3. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

also a rhodesian ridgeback are fine large loving and smart canines.

4. Craiger

Craiger 10mm

The Belgian Malinois is a very high drive dogs IE "HYPER" you better have a way to keep his mind busy and a way to unload him. Not a breed I would choose as a pet. This is a working breed. Not a good choice for what you want. JMHO If your set on a Mal. I would talk to Ivan Balabanov here is a link to his website The best Mal guy in the USA.....

Mal link

5. thetoastmaster

Craiger-

Yeah, I know the Malinois is a high energy dog; but that's okay, I'm a high energy person. I'm not looking for a "pet" in the traditional sense. I'm looking for a companion dog, like a partner, if you will, to protect my wife and I. I'm planning on some formal training, as well.

Still, I'll check into your link.

-Bo

6. GreenBeret1631

GreenBeret1631

If you want a good companion dog, i'd recommend a miniture bull terrier for a small dog. A full sized one for a larger dog.

Also, you might want to check your local "pound" and see if there is any dog there that you might like...ya might just save a life! ;)

7. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

While the breed has been downplayed in police work for awhile, the premier family protection dog was and always will be the Doberman Pinscher... the ONLY breed bred for the single purpose of protecting it's human family. Yes, not even the GSD or BelMal can attest to this fact.

"The Doberman standing alertly---staring at the danger---ears held totally erect and eyes focused on the threat. Woe to the foolish man who doesn't think the Doberman will stand his ground and dare the intruder to go through him. It is this stance and attitude and lightening fast reflexes and responses that, coupled with the Dobermans totally fearless and confident attitude, that make him the absolute PREMIER protection and guard dog, as well as cherished pet and family companion and comrade. He is unflappable when danger is present. LOYAL AND OBEDIENT---These qualities make the Doberman more than simply a weapon for guard and protection. Only total devotion to family is what the Doberman's job is everyday. He is focused on his family and wants to please and do exactly what they want him to do. He will bond and attach himself to the family and execute his role as companion and protector like no other breed can."
    -DPCA

Of course, in order to get this from your Doberman, you need to find a highly reputable breeder... backyard breeders will only give you heartache and disappointment.

Plus, Dobes are 'wash and wear' dogs. Little or no grooming. In intelligence, they're considered second only to the border collie.

Lets put it this way... Dobermans possess the brain of the best GSDs, muscle bulk of a Rott, tenacity and lightening fast reflexes of german terriers, speed and trim (no place to grab) physique of a greyhound (no fat).

8. Craiger

Craiger 10mm

In schutzhund we have a saying "When the tailgate drops the bull**** stops" I have seen three or four top Dobes in this country the last five years. The Weldons in Bowling Green KY and Lori Janes have nice Dobes but they cannot compete with the best Mals and GSD. Been around biting dogs, both sport and K9 for the last 13 years. If Dobes are your thing that is fine but sorry, they cannot compete with the Mals and GSD. All one has to do is look at the national and international events. Dobes still are a wonderful breed. I enjoy doing helper work with Dobes but they are by far the easiest to catch and drive. Mals are much faster and more explosive high flyers great grips. GSD are fast with a little more power because of weight. Working rotts on the sleeve or suit are just brutal the most powerful grips and just hang on you with all that weight. I have caught them all.

9. thetoastmaster

10. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

I wouldn't dispute that the GSD and Mals, as an overall breed have become the better-suited police/military dogs...

The Dobe, at least in much of the USA, has been 'bred-down' due to much bad press and stereotypes to perform THIS type of work (police).

While hard to find, there are Dobe lines out there that are as capable as any police/military dog, but they are rare and VERY expensive... the dogs of WWI & II... BOTH sides in these wars had chosen Dobes as 'their' dog. The War Dog Memorial on Guam is a Dobe. This says enough of what a solid breeding program of Dobes can do.

However, we've gotten away from the question... the originator did not ask for the 'Best Police/Military Dog'... he asked about a companion, protector, family member dog. A protection dog need not perform like a police dog... he needs to be a deterrent and a true threat capable of inflicting total devastation upon an intruder when his home or family is threatened... WITHOUT training or commands, it MUST be totally inherent, a reflex. Then turn around and 'clean' the family kids' faces all in the same breath.

A typical Doberman may not be THE BEST police/military dog, but you'd be hard-pressed to find ANY breed more suited to protecting your family and home. It is so genetically imprinted in Dobermans that you MUST train them to temper-down this instinct.

Most working dogs will do a fine job, but if I'm to leave my wife home by herself, there's only one pooch I'm 100% confident in... the only dog bred for this sole purpose. My wife need not say a word, and the Dobe will take out the 'trash' for her.

11. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

Well, I'm pretty open-minded about calibers, but the Rott is *clearly* the greatest dog ever for all purposes!! Jeez, everyone knows that!! ;f

(I *do* think that they are the perfect family companion for the right type of person, but they aren't for everyone.)

-JP

P.S.: I still love my crazy little Muttweiller every bit as much as the others- 1/2 Rott, 1/4 Aussie, and 1/4 (gasp) Jack Russell. Yes, she's a complete wing-nut.

12. Craiger

Craiger 10mm

Quote from DEUCE-DOBE

Most working dogs will do a fine job, but if I'm to leave my wife home by herself, there's only one pooch I'm 100% confident in... the only dog bred for this sole purpose. My wife need not say a word, and the Dobe will take out the 'trash' for her.

If this makes you feel better than that is fine. No dog is going to be able to protect you from someone with a weapon willing to do grave harm to you or someone in your house. The dog is nothing more than a tool allowing you time to get to a door to escape or get to a gun to fend off someone looking to do grave harm to you or loved ones.
    99% of all pet dogs whether they be from working lines or not if untrained in protection work are not going to be able to take out the trash as you put it. Protection dogs are built through training and not some miracle of which breed they are. Please do not take this the wrong way your dog is a great pet but DO NOT count on him if he is not trained in protection work. I typically see 10 to 15 new people and dogs a year come to the club to train in schutzhund. Their owners are all emphatic how well their dogs will protect them in a dangerous situation. There is a lot of heartbreak when these same people learn what would really happen after their dog is proven they would not be there to protect their owners. I tell people it is better you found out this way than if you find out the other way. This is not a slam in anyway against you or your dog. Here is hopping no of us ever has to find out the hard way. Peace and enjoy your dog because they are great companions…

13. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

okay...i'm baised.

a PERFECT dog, if you spend the time, is a German Shepherd. the Belgian Malinois breed is a VERY comparable dog to the german shepherd. if you watch COP type shows, invariably their canines are one of the two.

the only thing about BM's and GSD's, is that they require a LOT of training, especially at young ages. if you or your wife is willing to give them the attention/discipline/love they need, you'll have a dog you wouldn't trade anything for.

i really do not think there is a comparable dog to a GSD...

14. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

I'm a huge Rottweiler fan. I got mine from the pound, and it was the best $17 I ever spent.

If you want a FRIEND, get a dog.

If you want a COMPANION, get a bird. ;f

15. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

obx....i spent a bit more for my GSD than you did for your rottie....she was $25!

aren't pound puppies the BEST!?

heh...according to the Humane Society (or the pound, can't remember)...at any rate, it agreed with my observations, about 50% of dogs at the pound are purebred.

basically, somebody paid at least $500 for my dog, realized they couldn't handle her/didn't want her/whatever...and i got her for...1/16th the price! ;)

nothing beats a good GSD, rottie, doberman, or pitbull...or lab, GR, going on and on and on... ;0

16. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

I'm a big pound fan both from personal experience and that of friends and family. You can get "lemons" ether place, but I think a good animal shelter is a good place to start! My Rottie had been abused and she still cowers when someone goes to pet her, but the she grunts and slams her head under your arm so you won't stop. Great dogs.

17. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

...And rescues are even better, since we have evaluated, vetted, and invested a lot time and effort in fostering and basic training and socialization! :cool:

I like hearing the success stories, but it scares me a bit how incompetant a lot of pound workers & ACO's can be, especially with the big breeds. I couldn't even tell you the number of times I've been told a dog "Is a complete sweetheart," etc. only to find that when you actually interact with the animal for an evaluation, it's not a safe placement. It is amazing, though, how many great animals get thrown away when that cute little ball of fur starts to get a little bigger, and require training... Three cheers to ya for giving them another chance!!

-JP

18. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

My avatar dog does that to me when i'm on the computer and she doesn't like it.

shes literally thrown my wireless mouse on the floor when i wasn't paying attn and she snuck up on me....she jacks my arm up and i throw the mouse...and i can't help but laugh, but...damn ;)