close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

looking for AZ security - off-duty cop

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by richardh247, Dec 18, 2004.

1. richardh247

richardh247

Moderators: I hope this is in the right place. If not, then nuke it and put it where it belongs, with my apologies. Thank you.

I am looking for an off-duty police officer to serve as security a few nights a week at a property with quite a few problems I manage. It is a small property, with 8 duplexes, but in a VERY bad area. I don’t know how this works, but IDEALLY you would be trespassing people, deterring crime by your presence, and keeping people from breaking and entering into vacant units. I have a few tenants I have caught doing some really weird things, and I am accounting their actions to drug sales.

IDEALLY—again, remembering that I don’t know how this works—I would want this entire apartment complex to KNOW I am not playing around anymore, and that the stuff needs to stop. I lost over a thousand dollars last week alone due to vagrants breaking in to unoccupied units, stealing copper piping, ruining doors, etc. The are urinating and defecating on the floors, breaking things, and even starting small fires to cook and stay warm (yeah, right!) in the units themselves.

If this works out, I have other properties I might request assistance with, as well. I have been trying to deal with this myself, but it is too much for me to handle alone, and I want everything done completely legally. Since I am not certain of what I can and cannot legally do as the owner’s representative (they live in CA, so their laws are much different than ours), I am at a loss. The property is in upper/central Phoenix, around Peoria and 19th Ave (Sunnyslope).

If you are interested, or have any advice at all, please IM me as soon as possible, and I will give you all the details, as I’m sure you’ll tell me as well. I will email you my phone number immediately. Any police that would like to prescribe a legal, working solution, please, please email me. Any other advise is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Richard

2. RoyJ

RoyJ

Having been in the private security business for almost 2 decades I highly recommend you do the following:
    DON'T hire on your own!!
    DO hire the best agency you can afford!
    Get references!
    Do require drug screening!
    If you are not willing/cannot afford to do these things look for another line of work. If you hire someone on your own you are liable for everything that they do. This means you better put a lawyer on retainer too. Because just as sure as you're reading this someone will scream LAWSUIT the minute the person you hire tries to enforce your wishes. I know. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I hope I don't sound too negative but you need to research your options carefully. If the owners of the properties you manage are not willing to cough up enough to protect their investments RUN don't walk to the nearest exit. Look at it this way, If they won't pay for the proper type of security will they pay for an attorney if you rent-acop shoots someone? Will they pay for the liability insurance to even have a rent-a-cop? What will you do if the person you hire calls off sick? Do it yourself? Please don't!!

Sorry I got so long winded but having been in the security business I understand a little better how things work.
    Please heed my advice and get someone who's familiar with what you need.

Best wishes

Roy