Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be mostly Labs and Golden Retrievers from what I understand. There could be no fees involved at any level, other than a nominal adoption fee, probably around $125.00 or so, to offset the cost of shots, food, etc. That could possibly be waived in hardship cases. We have access to these dogs when they return from Iraq and Afghanistan. They would work especially well for handicapped former military or LE, but anyone with a legitimate need should qualify. We are looking for a legitimate outlet, perhaps an organization of some type that assists with wounded warriors, handicapped LEOs, etc. The dogs would be evaluated and trained by inmate dog trainers in various prisons around the state. We have had excellent results with this program locally, taking dogs from the shelters, and saving them from euthanasia.

Any suggestions for possible outlets/owners would be appreciated. We are located in eastern North Carolina, but have dealt with prospective owners from out of state at times in the past, and see no issues with this.

Thanks.

·
Hook 'Em Up
4,212 Posts
Here in Central Texas, you can contact K9 Mastery at the link below. They are a dog trainers, but also work with fostering and placing dogs. It's also owned by a cop's wife.

http://k9mastery.com

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
13,442 Posts
I'll adopt - we love goldies - no particular need for us, but those breeds are awesome. You might check with Grrand locally here. They're great folks!

·
Premium Member
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Wes. I'll let you know if we can swing one for you. It may take a while. It's still in the planning stages.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Would love to adopt if I had the room. Thank you for the service that youre trying to provide and Ill keep my eyes open for any outlets I can pass along.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Puppiesbehindbars.com

They do similar / allied work in the n.e.

We volunteer to socialize the dogs

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
What about contacting Wounded Warriors. They may have something set up for that.

·
Florist
20,209 Posts
Damn great work you guys!

Are you guys established 501(C) status? Let us know when there's a fundraiser.

·
Premium Member
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn great work you guys!

Are you guys established 501(C) status? Let us know when there's a fundraiser.
Well, actually, I've had a lot of bills lately, and I need a few guns. And chain saws. Send all donations to Uncle Vigilant. Send cash. :rofl:

My involvement is with a state-run prison, but we also have local volunteers who assist and bring us dogs. This is in the early stages, and I'm not sure what our involvement at the state level would be. All I'm concerned about is putting dogs and wounded vets (and hopefully wounded LEOs) together. The wounds could be physical or emotional.

And yes, even I have an occasional lucid thought. :wavey:

·
Premium Member
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
All jokes aside, we do accept tax-deductible donations at the facility, and they are always welcomed, but at this point we primarily train dogs as house pets. We have trained two service dogs so far, but discontinued that due to some issues outside our realm. Someone on the street was charging the vets for the dogs.

Here is some info on the program. More facilities have since been added.

http://www.doc.state.nc.us/dop/program/leash.htm

Please understand that I am not actively soliciting donations. Even so, since it was mentioned, feel free to PM me if you would like to help.

·
No Longer Fenced In
11,133 Posts
A prison I used to work at when I worked for the state, Luther Luckett Correctional Complex ( http://corrections.ky.gov/depts/AI/LLCC/Pages/default.aspx ) runs a similar program in conjunction with the local humane society. I forget the lady's name that runs it, but if you call the institution, they can probably connect you with her to get some more info if you need it. Also, we run a smaller-scale version of it at our camp; I'll do some asking around here and see what I can find out for you. PM me some work contact info and I'll try to put them in touch with you if I can.

·
Premium Member
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A prison I used to work at when I worked for the state, Luther Luckett Correctional Complex ( http://corrections.ky.gov/depts/AI/LLCC/Pages/default.aspx ) runs a similar program in conjunction with the local humane society. I forget the lady's name that runs it, but if you call the institution, they can probably connect you with her to get some more info if you need it. Also, we run a smaller-scale version of it at our camp; I'll do some asking around here and see what I can find out for you. PM me some work contact info and I'll try to put them in touch with you if I can.
Thanks, CJ. I think we're on to something. I'll keep y'awl posted.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts