Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a GunVault Micro (non biometric) for just at a year now. I love the form factor... just big enough for my G23, a spare mag, and a tac light. I love it being small enough to slide in and out from under the bed, with a cable to secure it.

What I don't love is over the past six months of not knowing if the thing will open or not. The "pinkie" button looks to be stuck, and the unit randomly blinks as if buttons are being pushed. It will work for a week or so, and then will spaz out and will require the key to get in. I've got a call into GV to see what the deal is, but even if they send a replacement unit I have lost faith in something that is as critical as faith in my gun. Things like this just get one shot in my book.

Bottom line, I want to go with something else. I like the idea of an electronic lock for security (kids in the house), but am fine with a mechanical option as long as it is sufficiently secure. I do NOT want a key-only access mechanism. I would prefer something small and similar in form factor to the Micro.

This is simply for basic storage of my home defense handgun. I don't expect or need something designed to prevent theft (that's what insurance is for). Job #1 is to keep my kids (and their friends out). Job #2 is to allow me dependable quick access when I really need it. All other considerations aren't that important to me.

What do all the fellow GT'ers out there have under their beds besides GunVaults?

·
FYPM
5,596 Posts
I love my Stack-On, which is screwed into my bedroom closet shelf. I have the 514 model which has a shelf so it can handle four full sized guns plus some ammo, jewelry etc. $70 at Dick's. I've had it for over two years and have yet to replace the batteries for the electronic keypad. Hard to beat.

A quick search found it here for $59.99:

http://www.u-sav.com/garagestoragedirect/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2399

Here's the manufacturer's site:

http://www.stack-on.com/categories/security/products/53

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why do you need to lock up your flashlight?
It isn't that the light or spare mag need to be locked. But having them in the same box mean I always know that what I need will be there. Things have a way of wandering off, whether through me or my kid.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree with the comment about Gun Vault customer service. I have one of the deluxe two tier (non biometric) models that I have had for three years. It failed about a month ago. I called GunVault and they shipped me a brand new one with a prepaid return authorization to send the defective one back. Time from the original call until I had a new vault was about ten days, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
That Fas1 looks pretty nice, but no space for spare mag or flashlight. Definitely an interesting option though.
Not exactly correct. Thanks for suggesting my product bentbiker. I really appreciate it.

I keep a G17 in mine w/3 Glock 17 round magazines laying in the bottom under the barrel. They fit 3 wide. There's no dedicated mag holder but there is plenty of room for a spare mag and small flashlight in the bottom front part of the box.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
i understand your lack of confidence in the GV but i never heard of that happening. anything electrical or mechanical can fail, just cause you get a different kind won't change your odds on having issues. the GV has a key back up in a pinch. if it were me i would try to get a replacement and stay with what works. even glocks can mess up from the factory.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the Stack-on . 2 shelves, digital combo, and just rite for a couple of guns, the passports, jewelery, and ready cash. Bolted down fron the inside with ready made holes.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I agree with the comment about Gun Vault customer service. I have one of the deluxe two tier (non biometric) models that I have had for three years. It failed about a month ago. I called GunVault and they shipped me a brand new one with a prepaid return authorization to send the defective one back. Time from the original call until I had a new vault was about ten days, if I recall correctly.
Sounds like great customer service

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have also had issues with my Gunvault as well and I am not sure what I am going to do.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i recently recieved my fas1 safe and i couldnt be happier. it feels like its built like a tank, the steel is much thicker than the gunvaults. it fits a spare mag inside very easy. could put a flashlight in there too if i wanted. do it right the first time and get a fas1.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I also have problems with my Gunvault Deluxe. It is about two years old and the AC supply has quit working.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
i recently recieved my fas1 safe and i couldnt be happier. it feels like its built like a tank, the steel is much thicker than the gunvaults. it fits a spare mag inside very easy. could put a flashlight in there too if i wanted. do it right the first time and get a fas1.
Thanks for sharing and being our customer. I appreciate it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts