Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
hedgehog
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought some law enforcement guys might be able to give me some ideas. thanks! going to be mostly sitting but some walking (armored transport)

·
hedgehog
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can you guys back this up with reasoning ? im guessing most leg holsters suck? the ones i have seen look very generic looking any very few are "gun specific "

·
Registered
157 Posts
Biggest reason is that it's damn hard to draw your sidearm when you are sitting down. Tacticool doesn't always mean it's the right thing for normal everyday use.

·
No Infidels!
8,794 Posts
I agree that you don't want one, but if you "just can't help yourself", I would go with the Safariland 6305.

·
hedgehog
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm not trying to look like a commando here, I felt it would be more comfortable since i'll be doing alot of sitting.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Safariland is the only way to go with dropleg holsters. And honestly - mid-ride belt holsters are not uncomfortable while sitting in a car, neither are high-ride models. Of course they make draws a bit more uncomfortable (having to raise your arm up higher). Ask your employer what they authorize first - I've never seen an armored courier wearing a thigh rig - crap, MOST of them I've seen don't even wear duty belts - they use either paddle holsters or regular belt slide holsters on their garrison belt...Personally, in a uniform, I WANT a duty belt and retention holster setup because of the extra security offered by the holsters.

My first choices in holsters would be the 070 and the 6280, mid-ride belt attachment. a 1.5 or 2 inch drop makes for a more natural drawstroke - but holsters with a drop or jacket slot usually are not nearly as comfortable while seated - my experience of course is in Ford Taurus and Chevy Impalas - if you're in a more upright seat like a truck seat, the holsters w/ some drop and a jacket slot might not pose a comfort issue. IN a car though, I found the butt of the gun jabbing my hip.

If you absolutely must have a dropleg - use the 6004/5.

·
hedgehog
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow. i wasn't expecting you guys to get this emotional about it. i'll look into a regular duty holster. they are not very strict which what type I choose and they said a level 2 retention is just fine.

·
Hook 'Em Up
4,211 Posts
wow. i wasn't expecting you guys to get this emotional about it. i'll look into a regular duty holster. they are not very strict which what type I choose and they said a level 2 retention is just fine.
I would go with the Safariland 6280 (type) in a drop holster. That's what I use for riot control and tactical operations. YMMV....

·
Registered
866 Posts
I work AT as well. I've only seen one person in the business wear a thigh rig. Everyone else I know has a paddle or drop duty holster. You really don't need quick access to it while driving in an armored car/truck...

I have the Serpa Level 3 holster on a duty belt that works fine. I've seen some Safariland ALS type holsters (don't know model #) and a few co-workers have the Serpa CQC Paddle that they can just take on and off. I only know of one company that allows "other" types of holsters (cross draw, shoulder, thigh).

·
ACTA NON VERBA
424 Posts
I wore a drop hoster at my last unit (Coast Guard Port Security Team), we were always standing and had additional tools on our belt (rad pager, gas sensor, life jackets) in addition to the regular belt. The drop holster made sense for us.

The minute we were in a car the drop holster became more of a liability. It is very dificult to draw you weapon while seated; and if you don't have much room to wiggle it can be impossible.

We wore safariland 6274 holsters.

Basically, if you are standing and moving, its an amazing holster. If you ever sit its horrible.

·
hedgehog
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
while we're at it, who makes good duty belts ? can i get a duty belt that can also be work in regular pants? i dont carry handcuffs or any of that, just the gun and probably 2 extra magazines

·
Registered
735 Posts
Bianchi makes a fine nylon belt - wouldn't bother spending the money for real leather or even faux leather for an AT gig. If you're going to use a retention holster - you need a real duty belt. Duty belts are 2 to 2.5 inches - not going to fit in your pants (that's what your garrison belt is for).

Even uncle mikes deluxe duty belt would be fine for your uses (the deluxe is thicker, more stitching, looks ok. Crap belt buckle though)

You shouldn't use a duty holster with a garrison belt - duty holsters are made for duty belts, and thus would wiggle/rock too much on a 1 or 1.5 inch garrison belt.

Your setup should be simple - garrison (pants) belt - duty belt, holster, mag pouch, and 4 to 8 belt keepers. The keepers anchor your belts together. It prevents the belt from rocking/sliding when drawing your gun. Personally, I'd opt for 2 keepers in front, two keepers in the rear, and at least one keeper in front and behind the duty holster's belt loop (to keep the holster anchored and prevet it from sliding around the belt at all). Don't rely on the velcro setup most nylon rigs come with - velcro does NOT hold as well as a set of keepers, and velcro wears out pretty quick when used daily.

Take a look at galls website - they've got a good selection of gear for you. Ask your employer if you'll be carrying a radio, and if so, what model (also ask if they provide a carrier for the radio if they issue one.) -- if they don't issue a carrier but you DO carry a radio, you need a belt carrier for the radio. Bianchi would get the nod on that one. I prefer a radio carrier that is on a swivelling attachment. Makes the radio easy-on easy-off, and you can cant it for sitting comfort.

·
Registered
108 Posts
A long long time ago, a deputy in the county I lived was on patrol sporting a 6-inch .357 (don't remember brand) in a swivel holster. Holster is unbuttoned and the gun is horizontal laying on the seat. Dirt bag decides to try target practice on said deputy. Deputy is leaning over, shouting in the mic and trying to draw. Seat back is blocking his gun. Deputy survives, swivel holster goes into the trash as soon as a nice hoyt break-front arrives in the mail.

You don't want a drop-leg.

Depending on your gun try a high-rise duty holster. Depending on your size it won't dig into the seat. If the seatbelt is a bother go with a cross-draw if allowed.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
We get kind of emotional about it because its what we do for a living. In this kind of work, a good piece of equipment can keep you from going home in a box draped in Old Glory.

If you are going to be riding in a car, and carrying a weapon, spring a little for a good duty belt and duty holster setup. They can be had fairly reasonably now, and they are built for this kind of business. As someone else said - keepers are good. Two in front, two in back, and one in front and behind the holster. The more anchored your drawing platform is, the quicker and smoother you can draw your weapon and get on target.

Whatever you get, just make sure you practice with it a lot, and break it in. When your neck deep in crap is one hell of a time to remember you have a level III holster, and not the level II you thought you had.

·
hedgehog
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how about the blackhawk level 2 SERPA holster? I was told this would be acceptable. i'll look into the belts you guys mentioned.

·
hedgehog
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
there is a guy selling a nice bianchi accumold setup on here. are they made to exact waist sizes? his is 2" larger then what i beleive my waist size to be, wondering if either

a- they are adjustable

or

b- they are held to your inner belt securely via belt keepers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts