close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for a knife, Benchmade

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by NateHodge, Feb 20, 2010.

1. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

I want to get all of my groomsmen something they can actually use. I'm a knife aficionado, I don't carry cheap cutlery. I know the groomsmen gifts are supposed to be something small and all, but a cheap knife will sit in a drawer for these guys. I have my eye on two different ones.

Spyderco Native and Benchmade Mini-Grip. I have carried the Native for a few years and am very pleased with it. But today, I saw a Mini-Grip, clip point black blade, sand handle. I loved it! I actually thought of getting it for myself, but I can think of other ways to spend $100 on myself right now.

I figured I could get online and find it cheaper somewhere like thebladeshop.com. Problem is, I can't find it ANYWHERE. I know it's out there but I'm just coming up short. Do any of you guys know where I might be able to find that knife? I have found the sand colored handle, but only with the tanto blade, which they won't like.

2. Power Pistol Pete

Power Pistol Pete

3. m87

m87

Definitely weird that you can't find one. I bought a Mini Griptilian April 2009 from Knifesupply.com. They had a variety of Mini Grips to choose from, but for some reason, all they have now is a yellow grip partial serrated version. They don't have any Gripilians for sale at all. Maybe they are going to stop carrying Benchmade's or something.

Random side note: When I tried to open thebladeshop.com in Internet Explorer, a page came up warning that "This site has a poor reputation", rated by something called "Web of Trust", as rated by 1 or 2 negative reviews. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOT:_Web_of_Trust

4. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

I carry a Native daily and love it. Can't beat it for the money.

[​IMG]

5. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

check amazon and ebay (go for known sellers)

6. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

I like it as well. I carry mine daily too. My one issue with it is that the pocket clip tends to turn and mar the plastic around the square divot it sits in. I've got 2 months before the wedding to decide which one to get. I may get myself the Mini-Grip that's in the store that I can't find online and see how it compares to the Native.

PS, take a Dremel to that black clip and screw and put a good shine on it. It looks better. The finish was wearing off and I had to do something about mine.

7. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

888knivesrus.com I've dealt with them several times super nice and helpful when looking for something. If they don't have it they'll check their suppliers and try and get it for you.

8. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

Benchmade. Mini-grip. Anything but tanto point.

Axis lock is the best thing to happen to pocket knives since blades. Any non axis lock blade will just be part of my collection. They can never see the same carry/use as my benchmades.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  9. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

But I can't locate the one I'm looking for. That's why I posted the thread, was to try to get a little help finding it.:wavey: The Mini-Grip with the straight edge, clip point blade, and desert tan handle. I may go get that one from the store tomorrow for myself, then I'll have a model number to go by.

10. cabindriver

cabindriver NRA Life Member

11. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

Black is a better "gift" handle color. It goes with everything, and not a bad price here.
    http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmademinigriptilianmdpplainedgeblackhandle.aspx

eta...you can even get their names on the blade, or your name and wedding date. Pretty cool.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  12. HarlDane

HarlDane

+1 on the Axis lock, I carry my Benchmade everyday.

13. curtiswr

curtiswr

For what it's worth: most Wal-Mart stores now stock the Spyderco Native for something like $38

Can't be beat!

14. deputy tom

deputy tom

I'd buy them Spyderco S/S Crickets and have their initials engraved on them.Classy little knives and kind of man-jewelry.YMMV.tom.

15. .45sniper

.45sniper

+3 on the Benchmade Grip. They are great knives. AXIS lock can't be beat

16. happy seal

happy seal

Crawford Designs.com

17. woggie

woggie

I do not think this is the one you were specifically talking about but it is the one that I bought and I LOVE this knife. I would have preferred the "full size" version but the mini works so much better for everyday use. Just a different option for you. Good gift idea for your groomsman, BTW!

http://www.knivesplus.com/benchmade-knife-bm-556.html

18. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

The mini is built better than the full size, IMO. The 556 is a nice knife.

19. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

Yeah, you're right about black, but 3 of my 4 groomsmen are Marines, one is still active duty, and another works for a very popular AR15 and rail company. So the Desert Tan just fits their lifestyle better, but I may end up with the one you're showing above. As for the engraving, I think I may contact another friend that works with my best man and get him to do a little something.

That a helluva price! They may just be getting the black handle! Thanks!:wavey: