Looking for a Gun Shop/Dealer near Illinois

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by Meyerley, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Meyerley

Meyerley

Just moved to f-ing Illinois. I don't want to buy a gun in Illinois if I can help it. I don't want any more of my money (taxes) going to the state. I'm looking to buy a few more guns either from a shop or face to face and Indiana looks like the only sane state nearby.

I'm looking for a recommended shop/dealer near these cities (in order of preference)

1. Gary, IN
    2. South Bend, IN
    3. Indianapolis, IN

Just so you know, I'm looking at a 870 Express magnum or mossy special purpose, a .45 (1911, springfield XD, M&P, or FN when it's out)

Thanks in advance!

2. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

Blythes Sport Shop Inc 2810 N Calumet Ave Valparaiso, IN 46383 219-462-4412

Just a little drive past Gary on 80. In the interest of full disclosure I do know a few of the employees there.

3. Pitmaster

Pitmaster

4. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Buying a handgun in IN if you are an IL resident can be a problem... make sure you understand the rules, FFL transfers, how an Illinois dealer and FOID cards work, etc.

As I am sure you are aware, having firearms in many places in the Cook County area is illegal, so be informed prior to transport.

I will echo Midwest Gun Exchange, South Bend. I have purchased several guns from them (some at the Indy 1500 gun show, some at their store). Closer to you than Indy. In Indy, Plainfield is easy for you to get to and I have dealt happily with them on several occasions. Never shopped in Gary... not sure I want to!

5. cougar_guy04

cougar_guy04

One thing you'll have to consider is that when buying a long gun in Indiana as an Illinois resident, the 24 hour waiting period still applies and you must have your FOID card.

WRT handgun sales, it must be transferred to an FFL in Illinois with all that lovely stuff that goes with it.

(Disclaimer: I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, this is just what I've been told by dealers/shooters.)

6. 9mm Luger

9mm Luger GLOCK 26

As others have said check the laws in Illinois, I to am pretty sure you are going to have a FOID card in order to purchase a gun in Illinois or Indiana for that matter. Call ahead to the gun shop I am sure they will be able to inform you of what you need to make the purchase.

I would echo the praises of both Blythes and Midwest they are both reputable dealers. You may also want to check out Fetla's Trading Post also a reputable dealer. I have bought guns from all three with great satisfaction.

I would call ahead to check on pricing, it just so happened that Midwest is where I picked up my Glock as they were by far the best price out of the three I listed.

Best of luck with your purchase, I can see your displeasure for moving to Illinois I can say that I blame you. They are by far one of the most gun unfriendly states that I know of.

Contact information for the three shops I listed....

Fetla's Trading Post
    1457 S. State Rd. #2
    Valparaiso, IN 46385
    Phone: (219)462-5221

EAJuggalo listed Blythes information, however calling the number he listed will prompt you to call 219-476-0026 to reach the firearm section of the store.

Midwest Gun Exchange
    2516 Lincolnway West
    Mishawaka, IN 46544
    Phone 1-574-257-0020

I too have never shopped in Gary, if I were you stay out of Gary it not exactly one of the safest towns to be in. ;)

7. absrio

absrio

Make sure you have a FOID card cause if not you go to jail if you are in possesion of a gun or ammo. All guns must be cased and unloaded during transport. You can buy long guns from the surronding states but no handguns. If you just moved from Indiana and you brought guns with you keep them stashed away until the FOID comes in the mail.

I will throw out MegaSports in Plainfield just off I55 in Joliet if you are looking for a pistol. They have a HUGE selection of everythign along with huge ammo selection and indoor range. Prices are fair on weapons about average for the area on ammo. Don't waste your time if you don't have a FOID card yet though.

8. cougar_guy04

cougar_guy04

You have to have a FOID card to even have Ammo. Gun stores are supposed to check you for one (if you're an IL res.) before you even handle one. The store where I bought my handgun wouldn't even let me touch them before I turned 21 since and wouldn't let my mom handle a shotgun we were looking to get for around the house because she didn't have a FOID.

Did someone already mention that IL sucks?

9. 9mm Luger

9mm Luger GLOCK 26

Thanks for explaining the FOID to me, I knew a little about it but dang I did know it was that restrictive.

Ya Illinois defiantly sucks, you couldn't pay me to live in that communist state.

10. cougar_guy04

cougar_guy04

Yeh, the FOID is a PITA. I've always said that if they're not going to allow us to carry and keep the FOID, then at least do away with the waiting period.

One time, I had a gun store owner (when I was pre-21) tell me that there had been instances where the gun store owner had just let someone under 21 handle a pistol or someone without a FOID handle a long gun and either the ISP or ATF came in and nailed him.

11. Fisher 21

Fisher 21

Lived in occupied territory most of my life. I don't know what you will need to purchase the firearm in IN (besides $), but once you cross the state line into IL and you are an IL resident, you have to (legally)have your valid FOID.

So glad to be gone.......rainbows and lollipops now........

12. Meyerley

Meyerley

Thanks for all the replies guys! I moved to IL from Arizona. I don't have an IL ID or vehicle registration yet. I moved here for my wife's schooling, she's in graduate school and that's why I'm here.

I do live in cook county but not in Chicago. I had my wife get her FOID card (since she moved here first) in case I had any problems with moving my collection. With cook county banning "assult" rifles, any magazine holding over 10 rounds of ammo, and any gun with a barrel shroud, I am left with just my ruger 10/22 and mark II in kompliance.

I need a handgun/shotgun for home defense within kompliance of big brother's ordinances. BTW, I live in a city that hasn't banned handguns...yet.

So, since I still have my AZ ID, do you think I can buy a handgun in Indiana, give it to my wife for her birthday as we cross back over the IL state line, and she can then re-gift it to me for my upcoming birthday once I get my IL ID and FOID card?

I would like make my purchases in a day trip, no waiting periods. Waiting periods are for losers and proud residents of Illinois. Sorry, that was redundant....

13. absrio

absrio

Unless you have your handgun shipped back to an FFL in Arizone you will not be buying one in either state until you get your FOID card.

14. Meyerley

Meyerley

So are you saying with certainty that Indiana will not sell handguns to out of state residents, period? What about private face to face sales?

15. absrio

absrio

I believe its a federal law that does not allow the transfer of handguns from one state to another without going through an FFL of the home state.

I know for sure you cannot get a handgun in Indiana when your an Illinois resident being that I am a transplant from Illinois to Indiana.

16. Buckaroo

Buckaroo

It might be easier to go ahead and move to Indiana.... You know you want to! :wavey:

17. cougar_guy04

cougar_guy04

+1

IN >>>>>>> IL

18. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Got SIG?

+1. Commute.

19. Meyerley

Meyerley

I didn't move here by choice. When I said "I do", I gave up a lot.....But I got a lot back in return...at least that's the theory.

20. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

Tucson to Illinois, Let's hear you say that when it is -30°F :animlol: