Looking for a good semi-auto 22 pistol.

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by bandsaw, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Ruger is the most bang for your buck. MK-whatever in either grip angle you like.

Bill Keith likes this.
  2. Crownline202

Crownline202

IDK...Maybe Hi-cap mags and a little ammo:rolleyes: 20190922_143108.jpg

3. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Definitely get the TX22.

I picked one up a while ago and love mine.

4. PNine64

PNine64

5. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

I think we are in the Golden Age of 22 pistols. My experience is that my Ruger KMK678GC mark II is one of the most accurate pistols I have ever shot. My S&W M&P 22LR is a good plinker. For ultra deep concealment a North American Arms 22 mini pistol is hard to beat. For you I'd recommend a Ruger 22/45. Happy Shooting!
    Ruger KMK678GC.png Ruger 22 45.png S&W MandP22.png

6. VCoupe376ci

VCoupe376ci

I have a full size M&P 22. I have had 0 reliability issues over 1000 or so rounds and that is with and without a suppressor shooting CCI subsonic ammo. I have also owned a Walther P22 which also gave me no issues but was on the small side for my hands. The only thing I dislike about the M&P is the external safety, but honestly as this pistol is for play at the range only and the lever really isn't in the way it wasn't a dealbreaker.

Highly recommend the M&P.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    bandsaw likes this.
  7. VCoupe376ci

VCoupe376ci

With the M&P at least, if there is a difference in physical dimensions, it isn't much. Below are an M&P 40 CORE converted to 9mm (irrelevant detail) and an M&P 22 (22 on bottom in first picture and on the left in the second).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bandsaw likes this.
  8. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

+1 for a Ruger Mark IV. I have the Target model but it is available in a few various configurations.

bandsaw likes this.
  9. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Hammerli's aren't too bad.

novchall9.JPG

plp, Sniff, Mr Meeseeks and 2 others like this.
  10. wanderson

wanderson

Don’t forget the Grand Power K-22, external hammer, full size polymer frame, 5” threaded barrel.

The XTRIM version adds some nice features too but my K-22 was $350 out the door at my local Palmetto State Armory. So far my K-22 is easily outshooting my Walther PPQ-22 and may beat my Ruger MK I or HS Sport King. One of the nicest triggers out of the box I’ve found.

And I found a place overseas that sells +7 mag kits for 17 round capacity. Got several inbound so we’ll see.

And probably not what the OP is asking for, but a Ruger Charger pistol is fun too. I put a brace on mine and run a GSG 110 round drum, runs as reliably as the BX15 mag my Charger came with.

Buckmarks are also fine guns and IMHO out of the box are a little nicer than Rugers.

11. MajorD

MajorD

Don’t neglect the old classics! Colt woodsman high standards and smith 41 to name a few. I like the old steel and wood guns much more than modern polymer and they have stood the test of time

Robert Cohen likes this.
  12. OXMYX

OXMYX

Ruger, but keep in mind all of the new .22's have 5 pound lawyer proof triggers.

I had to work on my new MKIV trigger and bolt for hours. The Govt MKII, no work. But the MKIV is easy to disassemble.

13. pgg00

pgg00

Ruger Mk IV and the taurus Tx22 is a lot of fun

garya1961 likes this.
  14. grumpy1

grumpy1

I have the M&P 22 Compact that I bought for dear wife and it has been totally reliable with a wide range of ammo. I highly recommend it as a plinker if it fits your hand well . Mine is a bit small for me because I have larger hands but I still do pretty well with it. I was shooting at 45 feet last week indoors and put 30 rounds in about a 5 inch group using mixed ammo shooting about a round a second.

For better accuracy look at Ruger Mark series, Browning Buckmark, or S&W victory.

I would be wary the new Taurus due to reading about more than a few barrel problems and other issues. Too many proven 22 pistols available to take that risk and lots of used Mark II/III Rugers available for low prices.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  15. BillG174

BillG174

I have the S&W M&P 22 Compact with 10 round mags. It comes with an adjustable rear sight but I installed Dawson Precision FO on the front and blac notch on the rear. Really like the gun and it’s fun to shoot.

16. Agonizer

Agonizer .

I have a Walther P22 and love shooting it.

But it is not as high quality as the Rugers or some of the others.

Nothing wrong with it, but I believe most of it is made from die cast metal, so longevity is a question.

17. Sniff

Sniff

Ruger or a Buckmark. Just my preferences.

18. plp

plp

I'm biased, so be forewarned.

For a plinker, my Buckmark, hands down. It is dead on accurate, if I take my time, and don't get stupid, will reliably put rounds on target every single time.

For the best do it all .22LR handgun ever, the Ruger SR 22. As I said, am biased, have 4 of them. They are cheap, easy to maintain (unlike the MK series) and accurate as hell. Small, light, have one that rides in my SHTF backpack, inside a plastic bag so it doesn't rust away, if I don't take the pack out of my truck this year.

I don't own one, and have never shot one, but suspect the longslide model might be even better.

motorcycleman likes this.
  19. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Well the SR22 is plastic and die cast metal too so I wouldn't worry about your P22. As for the SR22 being cheap, it's only cheaply made. At an average street price of $300, it's about $100 over priced. Not that I don't like them, I have two (both bought used for less than $300/ea with extra mags).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  20. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Well, I decided I needed something new in the form of a 22 pistol so I put three safe queen pistols up for sale locally. I have an informal rule that nothing new comes in unless something goes out.

Closing the deal on two of them in the next day or so and decided to get a Taurus TX22 pretty much because of the increased capacity and because I've been shooting a lot of 22s on my range lately. One of the guns up for sale is one of my SR22s. It hasn't sold yet but will eventually and besides I will have more than enough to buy the TX22.

Except the $50 Taurus rebate expired yesterday so I either have to pay the going rate (currently on sale for $239) or wait for another rebate or a better sale (black friday?). By then hopefully the Keltec P17 will be out.

I don't need a great pistol just one that is good enough. Sometimes good enough is good enough.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019