Looking for a good read

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by thud916, Apr 22, 2011.

1. thud916

thud916

I like historical non-fiction like Steel Inferno by Michael Reynolds and action fiction like Tom Clancy. Any suggestions?

2. waynokarider01

waynokarider01

I haven't read much non-fiction lately. What does come to my mind when talking about history is Web Griffin. He has written a couple of series that have a great deal of history woven into the stories. The Brotherhood of War is 9 books long, and The Corps is 10 books long. Its great if you can read them all in order, but he does a really good job of providing enough info to make each book able to stand alone. Those books almost put you right in the middle of the war.

3. glock75

glock75

Look at Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series. The main character is a super hero and a bit unbelievable at times, but the scenaros are current world and excellent. Flynn does great research. Past presidents are readers of his book as well as many in the Homeland Security. They are exciting books.

DesertEagle.45 likes this.
  4. John43

John43

80629:A Mengele Experiment, the story of Jack Oran, passed away now, business man in Dallas area.

5. squiddie545

squiddie545

For Historical Non fiction:

"Killing Pablo" - whacking escobar
    "with the old breed" - a classic, must reread several times.
    "the Gun" - chivers, history of the AK
    "one bullet away" - recon in OIF
    civie version - "generation kill"
    dude, how about reading books from the USMC Commandant's Reading List?

For Historical fiction:

Conn Iggulden's Genghis Khan's series - birth of an empire, lords of the bow, etc - it will make you appreciate what the mongol's accomplish. for e.g., they mounted the only successful winter assault through Russia. i recommend doing a books on tape on this one; the reader is awesome and gives life to the characters quite well.

Simon Scarrow's Roman Legion series - hard not read the whole series, make's one want to sign up and carry a gladius around.

Have fun reading.

6. Sundown

Sundown

I just finished, "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. It was different, but I thought it was pretty good. It took me some time to get accustomed to his writing style, but after I made the adjustment, I was able to cruise right through it. I found myself unable to.put it down once I started and finished it in just a few hours.

It is the story of a father and his son and their journey to somewhere else in a post-apocalyptic world. It kind of delves into a father's love for his son and the extent that he will go to to ensure his son's survival. Good story.

7. Dozerdog

Dozerdog

Huge +1!
    I discovered Vince Flynn about 6 weeks ago and can't get enough!
    I really liked the Clancy novels, and when I burned thru them, I needed something else similar. Mitch Rapp is great! They should make some movies of these novels.

8. eXistenZ

eXistenZ Play it.

I've read a lot of Tom Clancy in my time and enjoyed it but I enjoyed Clive Cussler more. I would recommend heading to the first of his books and start reading from there as they all seem to be connected in one way or another. They made the movie Sahara from one of his books but please don't let that stop you from reading the book, as usual the book is much much better.

9. DaveG

DaveG

Search the author "Lee Child". Your tastes sound similar to mine and I love this guy....

10. G26AZ

G26AZ

+1 on W.E.B. Griffin's series. I've read 3 or 4 of them, I think. Brotherhood of War, The Corps, and the one about the Philadelphia Police Department (can't remember the name at the moment), currently working on the series about the OSS. He does a good job of weaving true historical characters and battles, etc., into the fictional characters in the stories.

11. teeuu

teeuu Silver Member

For Historical (WWII) nonfiction you might enjoy Operation Mincemeat by Ben Macintyre. An amazing story told in astonishing detail.

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I don't have a suggestion for a book, but I get just about all of my books, these days, either as ebooks from my library, using Overdrive, or as ebooks on sale through Bookbub for $0 to $1.99. That way you can afford to take a chance on things you've never heard of and I have gotten plenty of good books.

Bookbub let's you choose categories, like "history" and "nonfiction" and then they send you an email every morning with books that are on sale for anywhere from free to $1.99 at places like Amazon and Barnes & Noble. I buy from B&N and read them on the Nook app on my phone, ipad and computer.
    https://www.bookbub.com/ebook-deals/recommended

For example, when I clicked Bookbub's web site to get that link, The Green Beret's by Robin Moore, for $1,99, was a recommendation, as was Connagher, by Louis L'Amour and lots of others, based on my settings for Action/Adventure, horror, and supernatural thrillers.

13. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

WEB Griffin fans may be interested in reading some of the MASH followup books.
    Care to guess who Willian E. Butterworth really is?

by Richard Hooker
    by Richard Hooker and William E. Butterworth
    • M*A*S*H Goes to New Orleans (1974)
    • M*A*S*H Goes to Paris (1974)
    • M*A*S*H Goes to London (1975)
    • M*A*S*H Goes to Vienna (1976)
    • M*A*S*H Goes to San Francisco (1976)
    • M*A*S*H Goes to Morocco (1976)
    • M*A*S*H Goes to Miami (1976)
    • M*A*S*H Goes to Las Vegas (1976)
    • M*A*S*H Goes to Hollywood (1976)
    • M*A*S*H Goes to Texas (1977)
    • M*A*S*H Goes to Moscow (1977)
    • M*A*S*H Goes to Montreal (1977)

14. ChuckUles

ChuckUles Señor Member

A chilling view into the most awful the world could be...

15. ChuckUles

ChuckUles Señor Member

With the Old Breed is one of if not the best book of any genre I have ever read. I've also read it several times.

16. Rupert

Rupert

Command and Control is a great nonfiction book about the origin and state of the US nuclear arsenal. Very eye opening.

17. Charley C

Charley C

Funny that you should mention Tom Clancy just now! As I'm sure everyone must know by now, Tom Clancy is "no longer with us", but never-the-less, his "Tom Clancy" great characters are STILL battling the forces of evil, even though young Mark Greaney is now writing most (if not all ) of them. Having said that, I have read 2 or 3 of the latest Mark Greaney-written Tom Clancy novels, and I have enjoyed them every bit as much as the ones that were written by Tom Clancy himself, however, I had never read anything that Mark Greaney had written under his own name......until just now! Like all action-authors, Mark Greaney has his "super-hero" character in the person of one "Courtland Gentry"; Only "Court Gentry" doesn't work for the CIA or the U.S. Government.......Court Gentry is an assassin........only with a "twist"......Court Gentry only kills people that he thinks deserve to be killed!

If you enjoy Tom Clancy novels, I can almost guarantee that you'll LOVE Mark Greaney's "The Gray Man"!
    Dozens......even hundreds of people who were sent to kill "The Gray Man" are now all dead; But The Gray Man lives on! This guy just can't be killed!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  18. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

"Empire of the Summer Moon" It's about Comanches, Cynthia Ann Parker, Quanah Parker, Indian Wars, Texas, America, Oklahoma.

As the time line advances, arrows beat muskets. Repeating pistols beat arrows. Spencer rifles beat repeating pistols. Sharps buffalo guns beat Spencer rifles. Mountain howitzers beat everything.

Bill Keith likes this.
  19. Charley C

Charley C