looking for a good over/under shotgun

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Travispitt, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Travispitt

Travispitt

I'm looking for a decent over/under shotgun. I'm hoping to spend less than $1000. my dad had just bought a stoeger stf 3000 and it's pretty much a piece of junk and it is going back to dicks today. so what other over-under guns should I look at? I would love a browning citori but at over $1500 we just can't afford one right now.

2. blueiron

blueiron

There are two choices for O/U shotguns that will last a lifetime or more: Beretta or Browning.

Find a mechanically solid used one and it will last. If something does need repair, parts are easily available and any decent shotgun oriented gunsmith can repair them. There is a reason why so many hard core shotgunners, who put thousands of rounds through them every year on clays courses, use them.

Visit a shotgun range near you and look on the For Sale bulletin board. They can be had for less than $1k, especially after the competition season is over.

3. EKUJustice

EKUJustice

I would say look at a used browning or beretta. In your price range there really isn't anything quality avaliable new that will hold up. Seen many come out to the range with the budget guns because they wanted the look and had to have new without the budget to match it so they got junk. Quality used is better than Junk new. If it means saving a little longer I would as your low end guns are literally a waste of money as they do not last and dont hold value at all. A quality used gun holds value well if you ever decide to upgrade. .

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  4. F_G

F_G

I have 3 O/U shotguns I use mostly for hunting and the occassional sporting clays. A Beretta Siver Pigeon 12 gauge, Ruger Red Label 20 gauge and don't laugh, a Baikal 12 gauge. The Beretta and Ruger have been pretty much trouble free with the exception of the Ruger stock cracking behind the tang at around the 20,000 round mark. I won the Baikal at a Ducks Unlimited dinner some years back, threw it in the safe and kinda' forgot about it. I got it out last year and it was almost impossible to break open, did a little research and found the ejector springs are way to stiff, took it apart (very easy) and did the spring modification. This thing has turned into one of my favorite shotguns, great pointer, built like a Russian tank. Chokes are avilable from Carlson's for around $18. I think these can be had from between $500 and $700. For the money, not too bad.

5. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

Another vote for a B-gun. Red Labels in 12 and 20 are too heavy, IMO. The 28s are nice, though. I favor Berettas, but to each their own.

6. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

Another vote for a used Beretta or Browning. There are lots of these shotguns setting around.

7. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Easy answer.
    My son-in-law traded me an SKB. What a nice gun! And used ones are very reasonably priced. The SKB 500 can be had for $500-700. They are way under-rated. SKB made these for Ithaca for years.

Check:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx?Keywords=skb+500
    http://www.auctionarms.com/search/auctions.aspx
    http://www.gunsinternational.com/search_results.cfm
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.htm?T=skb 500

"The lower price of the SKB is largely attributed to the company’s conservative marketing budget.

Rob Johansen, who has been involved with SKB’s U.S. operation since 1987, is the first to admit that he skimps on marketing campaigns employed by bigger companies that typically pass along the costs to consumers. By stripping out the marketing overhead, Rob is able to offer SKBs at a lower price point than Browning, Beretta, Caesar Guerini and others."

I'm serious, if you are looking for a quality O/U at a good price you will be doing yourself a disservice if you don't handle one of these.

8. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

9. seamaster

seamaster

A used Beretta or Browning is the ticket. Should be able to find one for about $850 that has removable choke tubes. Beretta would be my first choice then Browning.

Seamaster