close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking at a new PC and...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by G Junior, Mar 3, 2005.

1. G Junior

G Junior

I noticed down under the "Misc" section of the computer's details that it said "No Raid". It's a Dell by the way. If you need more details before being able to tell me what No Raid is, I'll dig up the info. Thanks.

2. podwich

podwich

RAID stands for Random Array of Independent Disks. Basically, you can use multiple drives to either backup data (redundant) or store it across multiple drives to speed access.

I believe it requires a Serial ATA connection (SATA) and possibly some other hardware configurations. Evidentally this computer doesn't have that ability.

Unless you either need very rapid access to data on your computer or a redundant backup system, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm using the old format (IDE) and no problems here.

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Some PC's (mine included) use a Promise RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive/Independent Disks) controller chip to manage this on an IDE interface.

I have two 120GB WD Caviar IDE HDD's, and since they are in a P-ATA RAID0 array, there is 240GB total space that the system can access the data on nearly twice as quickly as it could from a 'standard' single IDE drive.

Problem is, should one of those drives fail, the entire database is lost. I keep a Maxtor 80GB for archival storage to ameliorate my losses should that occur.

Serial ATA uses a different form factor and a (theoretically) faster interface...but a ATA-150 SATA RAID is not much, if any, faster than my ATA-133 setup is.

Even if the MOBO doesn't offer this capability, a third-party PCI controller can supply that functionality if needed.

I always advise people against buying any OEM PC's...you get the cheapest parts available, and then they limit the warranties badly.

I mean, why pay for a one-year CPU warranty when Intel gives you a THREE YEAR warranty? That makes no sense at all.

Then there is the problem of parts failure, which is 300% to 500% more prevalent with these POS OEM rigs...you get to ship the whole tower back if it needs work. Flock that!!

If you lack the skills needed to change the spark plug in your lawn mower, or if you just can't follow directions, then have a local shop build your machine with your parts. Keep the receipts so any part that fails can be RMA'ed individually.

It is really the best idea, as you will be able to totally customize it out with good quality parts, plus you aren't saddled with all the proprietary OEM BS system components.

Good luck.

4. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

Hey fastvfr, if you are using Raid 0, you should have 240gb of space right?

Why not use Raid 1 if you have two disks the same size? I've never noticed a huge increase in performance between the two, and your data would be backed up then.......

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Whoops. Yeah...good catch.

Post = edited.

And BTW, there is an NTFS partition on my Maxtor that I use for archiving anything important, 'just in case'!

6. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

you can put multiple hard drives in a computer and run them as a "RAID configuration". it enhances speed (and/or makes backups easier), but most non-techies lack any need for it.

if you have to ask, you probably wouldn't want to spend the extra money on it.

7. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

It's all good! ;+

8. nickg

nickg

i've been thinking of putting in another hard drive just as an image backup. with the cost of hard drives these days it's just as cheap to buy one for that purpose as it is to buy an imaging software. too bad i didn't think of this before i spent money to buy Ghost 9.0. idiot!!! ;Q ;f

9. G Junior

G Junior

Thanks a ton everybody. You're explanations were much easier to comprehend than the extremely technical stuff I found in my searching. Now to shopping for the parts to build a PC. I do all the repairs on my own vehicles so I should be able to do this, gives me something to do anyway :) . So, anyone wanna suggest what "good parts" I should get and where I should find them? I know ASUS makes a good MOBO and I'd like to get it with at least a P4 3.0, 160GB of storage, and I don't want onboard video/sound so a good video card and sound card recomendations are appreciated as well. Thanks again everybody.

10. pyblood

pyblood

I think that the Creative Augiogy 2 is a good sound card. if you choose the gamer edition, you'll get some games with the sound card.

The video depends on what kind of mobo and proc you'll get. You can go Socket 775 and PCI Express or Socket 478 and AGP or you can get Socket 775 with AGP.

11. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

buy parts from http://newegg.com

what is your price limit? what tasks do you use your computer for?

12. JesseCuster

JesseCuster Army Dude Millennium Member

It means it doesn't come with a can of flyspray. HAW!

;e

13. G Junior

G Junior

Typically it's my internet browser but serious gaming will be done as well. Shooting for $600 or less. I've read that PCI Express and AGP are comparable these days so that pretty much could go either way I guess.