close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

lookin for a tent

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by madhatta, Sep 5, 2003.

1. madhatta

madhatta

Hi all
    I currently have 3 tents (a pretty simple 3-season Eureka, a very compact 2 person Walrus I use for ultralite backpacking/camping, and a NorthFace Expedition25 for high winds/hurricane use and cold weather/heavy snow loading).
    Each of these tents does one thing VERY well and leaves a little to be desired in other areas.
    What I am searching for is a good quality tent preferably under $250.
    I want it to have LOTS AND LOTS of ventilation for very hot and humid weather/beach camping, but be rather stable and have a decent rainfly for heavy rains. I have done a bit of searching, but cannot quite find one to fit this combination.
    Any suggestions??? thanks!

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Marmot has come out with a new tent called the Titan. All mesh top, so extra ventalation. I've never used it though.

I have used the Marmot Eclipse. It has good ventalation, but the Titan looks better. I have 2 Marmot tents the Eclipse and the Area 51. I don't use them as much anymore since I've switched to using a bivy. I have gone through a monsoon in the Eclipse. While it wasn't the most pleasant time, the inside was dry.

A friend of mine has the North Face Mountaineer, or something like that. It's a bivy shelter that's almost all mesh. I don't think it's ever seen rain though, so no word on the rain fly.

Check out REI.com. They usually have a good selection and a cool comparison feature.

3. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

Check out cabelas "guide" tents,i have stayed in one,it felt like i could throw a bowling ball against the side wall and it would take it.Not sure about ventilation,it was about 30 degrees out,and we didnt need any cool breeze--hehehe

4. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I'm interested too.

All I have is a cheap pup tent that is at least waterproof but that's all. And a Starcraft tent trailer;f

5. MrMunster

MrMunster

I just went through the same search and ended up choosing the Mountain Hardware Hammerhead 3. Picked it up from Campmor for ~$300.

The entire front 1/2 is mesh and vents nicely. With the fly I'm guessing I can do 3+ seasons here in WI -- of course I doubt that my wife will be joining me on any trips to prove that theory.

Can't find the link for the 3-p tent, but you can see the 2-p here:
    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=30287274&prmenbr=226