close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Look what my dumba** did.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by savage16, Jan 28, 2013.

1. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

I was told when I first moved to Alaska, to take pics all around outside in the fall. That way you will know where to dig in the winter to find your treasures under 6 feet of snow.

2. sappy13

sappy13

We were mounting a tv at a clients a while back and got scared we had done something like that. Luckily we didnt, cause that would have totally ruined our day. I was just so happy that my boss was the one with the drill.

3. Hicksville Kid

Hicksville Kid

Many years ago.....I was helping my BIL put in a sink in his basement. "Ed, did you get all the parts?" Yes. "Ed, did you shut off the water?" Yes. "Ed, Did you tell Angel that the water will be off in the kitchen for a while?" Yes. OK here we go. Pipe cutter placed on pipe and off we go. A minute or so later, as we were cutting, we hear the water running in the kitchen. We looked at each other at about the same time Angel shut the faucet. Pow! We had a perfect fan of water from the pipe where we were cutting. Ed goes and shuts off the water. No real damage and we did have a good laugh.

Adventures in home ownership...

4. paul45

paul45

6 figure art. 7 figure farmhouse.

Me? I would pay someone to do it right the first time.

5. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

So, you're saying that Savage is an over-zealous driller? :supergrin:

6. mhill

mhill

Here is an idea. Take a finish nail and drive it in the wall before you drill.

My FIL did that to a sewer pipe when hanging an ironing board for my wife. Being it was a PVC sewer pipe with a tiny hole we didn't notice the problem for a long time. That was a real mess. Thanks FIL. :(

7. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

I'm be curious to know what was going thru your head while you were drilling thru the plate.

Me: "Man...this is taking forever. Why does it feel like I'm drilling thru metal?"

What kind of Plasma? I just picked up a 60" Panasonic that's awesome so far.

8. Slackinoff

Slackinoff

^^^ any story with poo wins.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  9. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

You have a Murphy in your family too?~!

While not a drilling incident, I had a serious wiring incident happen when I first set up my solar panels.

The set-up:
    3 - Helios 300 Watt, 7T2 Series Monocrystalline Solar Panels
    3 - MC4 connector cables (marked with polarity)
    3 - 15A up to 60VDC rated circuit breakers
    1 - Newbie solar installer (that was me!)
    1 - Newbie assistant (that's my co-worker / friend / student)

I set the combiner box where I wanted it and directed my assistant to install the MC4 cables. I told him which side was + and which was - and how to determine the polarity of the cable by visually inspecting it. (see the problem do you?)

So he wires the cables as directed and I check. Yup! Perfect! So I connect the panels then close the primary circuit to the charge controller. *POP*, *POP*, *POP*. All three breakers trip (this should have been my first clue to STOP!). So I look into WTF is going on and see that the breakers are installed backwards (didn't know that at the time... do now!).

So open the circuit, disconnect the panels and correct the breakers. Reconnect the panels and... damn, have to wait till tomorrow out of daylight. Next day, fresh cup of coffee and ready to energize the system. Close the main switch and walk out to see all three panels with burn marks... that are growing...

Lessons learned?
    1. Use ONLY name brand charge controllers.

2. Multi-meters exist for a reason... USE IT!

3. Triple check not only visually but with the above mentioned multi-meter the POLARITY of your circuit PRIOR to energizing the main feed.

4. When in doubt... even an inkling of doubt, CALL AN EXPERT!

That mistake cost me over $1200.00 in solar panels. They still work but at about half capacity so I am using them for my 12V lighting system. I cried that day, I will not lie and say so without shame... the entire project was one thing after another... and burning the panels was the last straw.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  10. DaveD

DaveD Ex-Mod Moderator Millennium Member

My dad was a phone installer for the local phone company. On weekends I would help him "moonlight" jobs for friends and family. We were in a 8500 sq ft mansion in the music district and he was in the basement drilling for a phone extension. I was upstairs waiting for the bit to come through the floor. "Dave do you see it yet?" NO! "How about now? NO! "I've got 8 inches of bit into the floor look around" "Don't see it!" He comes upstairs and said "It should be right here!" I look at him, he looks at me.......we move the grand piano and PRESTO! he had drilled directly into the center of the leg! Moved piano back, drilled 2 inches away and got out as fast as we could.....

11. savage16

savage16 OMGWTF

Out of all the work I've done, never had to buy my own bits, so before I started, I went and bought new bits. Thought I might have run into a big knot in the stud or something.

It's an old NEC plasma monitor. One of our old clients was looking to upgrade, thought this one was old and busted. Brought it back to the shop and used it as a test monitor for awhile and somehow made its way to my house. Thing is probably 8-10 years old, still going strong.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. pointnopoint

pointnopoint

Oh man what a bummer....

13. rgb03

rgb03

Not to be a dick. But you live in a seven figure house. Own six figure artwork. And you are bringing home a 8 year old used plasma to hang on your wall? I'm all for be resourceful and not wasting. But come on.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  14. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

There is a reason why some people accumulate wealth and others do not. HH

15. savage16

savage16 OMGWTF

This made me LOL. I don't own the house and the artwork, I think "art" is a shot up target. I brought home a used 8 year old plasma because my poor ass can't afford a new one.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

16. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

:rofl: